Livi v Airdrie

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Logie, nice 1-2 between Buchanan and De Vita before picking out Carrick for our first goal. Enjoyed seeing our breakaway goal too, reminds me of the good old days when Barr and Keaghan used to score goals on the counter all the time.

Their manager is a bit delusional if he thought they looked in the game all the way through, once we scored we looked comfortable and always looked like we were taking the 3 points.

1 hour ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Aye same with us. Sevco came a few years ago and Broomfield was sold out. Packed to the rafters and I have to say it looked fantastic. Saddest thing of all being that 99% of those Sevco fans came from Airdrie.

Agree about our low crowds but don't think many of those who have disappeared over the years went to see Sevco.I also know many who came to those games did not come from Airdrie but from all over Scotland as do most Old firm fans, which in itself has always been true in Scottish football. I also lived away from Airdrie for a few years but always came to Airdrie games, home and away. It's a matter of choice based on a whole load of factors, some pleasant some not.

The reality is a lot of the old firm fans don't  support their local teams. My opinion is you should support where you are from. However you will get fans who are not interested in supporting teams who don't always win trophies and leagues.

The reality is a lot of the old firm fans don't  support their local teams. My opinion is you should support where you are from. However you will get fans who are not interested in supporting teams who don't always win trophies and leagues.

I understand what you are saying but my local team would have been Stenhousemuir (before Clyde moved) My Gran stayed in Gartlea so I had an affinity with Airdrie. I didn't have a clue if they were good or not, I just loved football and wanted to watch it every week.

You can't force anyone to watch local teams (god knows I've tried with my son) The best we can do is back excellent ventures like the Aces so kids hopefully carry on going to games.

As for adults ? f**k knows, even if the gate money was reduced would we see a massive increase ?

Our stadium is a great wee ground. I remember when we opened the north stand in a pre season win over Manchester United. Only other time I watched a game from there was Bo'ness and linlithgow rose junior cup final. Love being behind the goals.

Almondvale is great, it's a good example of a new stadium, just like Airdrie but the fact is it's far too big, and the rent costs are crippling us. 

Ideally moving to a smaller stadium, say 4000 seats with terracing behind each goals would be more than suffice and be far cheaper to run and would help with the long term sustainability of the club.

But it's not going to happen so we need to get used to playing in a empty ground and continue to struggling year on year. 

14 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Was there not talk a while ago that Livingston would be moving from that ground?

A lot of Diamonds have got a love/hate towards New Broomfield.  I like the stadium myself despite the lack of atmosphere. It is looking a bit worse for wear these days though.

If it is looking a bit worse for wear that would be down to the stadium Company owners rather than TW? I was amused to hear phone in callers saying how good it was for Airdrie that the Rovers were playing Celtic at the stadium in the cup. Gordon Dalziel did not point out that Airdrieonians don't benefit financially or am I wrong. As far as Livingston I had to walk all the way around it last week to find where we were seated and it looked depressingly empty on three sides externally. Maybe Broomfield looks the same to visitors?

That is the only problem with the Vale, the atmosphere is great the location is great but there's never any fucker in it. The Premier League we had thousands through the turnstiles and even the last time we were in this league we had crowds of well over a thousand and the Queens match last day of the season two years ago we had 2,000.it makes you wonder where all these folk have went.

Almondvale and New Broomfield are two excellent examples of how modern stadia can be constructed. Despite the 2-3 scoreline, the atmosphere inside our ground when Hearts visited at Christmas time the season before last was excellent, and just goes to show how good it is when full.

Sadly, that's never going to be a regular occurrence, and as Andy says, a ground of around 4000 seats with terracing at either end would be brilliant for us. We just don't seem to have the ingenuity to make such a move possible under the current conditions.

6 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I understand what you are saying but my local team would have been Stenhousemuir (before Clyde moved) My Gran stayed in Gartlea so I had an affinity with Airdrie. I didn't have a clue if they were good or not, I just loved football and wanted to watch it every week.

You can't force anyone to watch local teams (god knows I've tried with my son) The best we can do is back excellent ventures like the Aces so kids hopefully carry on going to games.

As for adults ? f**k knows, even if the gate money was reduced would we see a massive increase ?

I get it some fans will form attachment to a club unfortunately you then have some fans who are just interested in a team that wins week in week out.

I don't believe we would se a major increase on the crowds to justify dropping the prices even if we seen a small increase the gate money I believe we would potentially less.

One idea I had before if a local bus company became a sponsor of the club rather money being exchanged. Arrangement put in place to provide the supporters bus runs at a discounted price making it more affordable to run and therefore attract more fans and also creating larger away fan base.

Why should you support your local team?? You should support who you want. The sanctimonious superiority fellow "diddy club" fans have over old firm fans is pathetic. Folk that spend their cash supporting the old firm are no less or no better supporters than us.

My daughters local team is motherwelll but she's an airdrie season ticket holder- is she out of order?

My uncle that got me supporting airdrie many decades ago's local team was Albion rovers - is he out of order?

It's just a complete nonsense line that is passed as fact all the time.

Why should you support your local team?? You should support who you want. The sanctimonious superiority fellow "diddy club" fans have over old firm fans is pathetic. Folk that spend their cash supporting the old firm are no less or no better supporters than us.

My daughters local team is motherwelll but she's an airdrie season ticket holder- is she out of order?

My uncle that got me supporting airdrie many decades ago's local team was Albion rovers - is he out of order?

It's just a complete nonsense line that is passed as fact all the time.

^^^local teams Airdrie but supports Rangers type post IMO.

Archived