Malky Mackay

lanky_ffc

What exactly does the job actually entail day-to-day?  Genuine question, not like the candidate will be off down the training pitch each day I'd imagine.  Maybe actually take a chance and buck the trend of the sport and actually look at what the role entails, and hire the person that best meets that? You know, rather than just opening a Panini sticker book and picking the first Scottish guy they've heard of.  

23 minutes ago, forameus said:

What exactly does the job actually entail day-to-day?  Genuine question, not like the candidate will be off down the training pitch each day I'd imagine.  Maybe actually take a chance and buck the trend of the sport and actually look at what the role entails, and hire the person that best meets that? You know, rather than just opening a Panini sticker book and picking the first Scottish guy they've heard of.  

Crazy talk

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That would be a better point to make if you hadn't just suggested Gordon Strachan, whose views on player development and man-management haven't moved on since the 90s. I genuinely can't think of many people I'd consider less suitable for shaping the future of Scottish football.

Levein takes a lot of deserved stick for his tactics as a manager, but he's very progressive in terms of youth development. He did a fantastic job at bringing through players and also revolutionising the youth systems at both Dundee United and Hearts.

I would accept your criticism, had you not suggested levein. Who is a clown.

Just now, forameus said:

Without me actually having played or worked with or coached with. Or even know the person on a personal level. Its very hard to say who would be a good fit.

But this is the tartan army ramblings section. So I thought I'd throw a name out. See if there was any better suggestions.

No surprise tho that you offer no alternative suggestions, only criticism. 

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Without me actually having played or worked with or coached with. Or even know the person on a personal level. Its very hard to say who would be a good fit.

But this is the tartan army ramblings section. So I thought I'd throw a name out. See if there was any better suggestions.

No surprise tho that you offer no alternative suggestions, only criticism. 

Joe Jordan

Maybe have a look at some of the guys who have done something similar for the German, Spanish, Icelandic, French and/or German player development at national level and see if they would be interested in replicating something here. Wouldn't need to be currently involved but someone with a previous track record of making it work and making a difference for a national association. They might just be tempted. Three things that would probably rule this out would be:

-  would not be one of the "boys" and therefore any such proposed appointment would be scoffed at by the likes of Yogi Hughes, the rest of the BBC Sportsound panelists to a man (with the exception of Stewart probably), and the established media;

- would be too forward thinking and would likely upset the SFA's comfortable way of doing things and their associated gravy train;

- considering someone from overseas would be forgetting that we once had a foreigner as national manager and another as u21manager. As the capability, experience and skills of all foreign football managers/players/directors etc are identical it would be absolutely mental to consider such an appointment a mere 15 years after the last foreign failure. 

2 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Maybe have a look at some of the guys who have done something similar for the German, Spanish, Icelandic, French and/or German player development at national level and see if they would be interested in replicating something here. Wouldn't need to be currently involved but someone with a previous track record of making it work and making a difference for a national association. They might just be tempted. Three things that would probably rule this out would be:

-  would not be one of the "boys" and therefore any such proposed appointment would be scoffed at by the likes of Yogi Hughes, the rest of the BBC Sportsound panelists to a man (with the exception of Stewart probably), and the established media;

- would be too forward thinking and would likely upset the SFA's comfortable way of doing things and their associated gravy train;

- considering someone from overseas would be forgetting that we once had a foreigner as national manager and another as u21manager. As the capability, experience and skills of all foreign football managers/players/directors etc are identical it would be absolutely mental to consider such an appointment a mere 15 years after the last foreign failure. 

The first appointment the SFA made to this role was Mark Wotte, who doesn't fulfil any of those three criteria, so unfortunately you've immediately made yourself look a bit foolish. Of course, Wotte was every bit as arrogant, aloof and dogmatic about it as either of the Scots who have taken the role since.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The first appointment the SFA made to this role was Mark Wotte, who doesn't fulfil any of those three criteria, so unfortunately you've immediately made yourself look a bit foolish. Of course, Wotte was every bit as arrogant, aloof and dogmatic about it as either of the Scots who have taken the role since.

Mark Wotte had a brief spell with the Dutch u21s I think and had a pretty poor record with them. He was essentially a club journeyman. Admittedly I did overlook him but he certainly would not fall into the category of "someone with a previous track record of making it work and making a difference for a national association". Point still stands albeit with a slight foolish brush. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I would be some amount of money that it'll be Ricky Sbragia.

Hopefully it will be someone as mentioned by previous posters with a track record in a similar role.

Whether thats from the UK or abroad. I dont have any names to mention. But Germany, Belgium and Iceland have done great stuff recently. Can we tempt someone from there.

But yeah we will probably end up with Thicky Sabrigia :(

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Craig Levein would be the ideal candidate here - he's basically done with management and is unlikely to jump ship, and he has an excellent track record in developing young talent. I doubt either party would actually entertain the idea though.

What even is this - based on what exactly?

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
44 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:
What even is this - based on what exactly?

Based on the reasons I gave in the post and the follow-up. It's not my fault if people can't separate Levein the manager from Levein as a progressive figure in youth development.

What has he done in terms of youth development that has given him the experience to be the technical director of an FA though! 

What has he done in terms of youth development that has given him the experience to be the technical director of an FA though! 

He was credited with shaking up the youth system at Dundee United, and bringing in an outsider like Cathro to run that side of things. He was also heavily involved in bringing through youth players in both his spells as Hearts manager.

He was also on the board at United and worked as Director of Football at Hearts, so he has experience working on that side of things too.

I'd say the role is almost custom made for him and if we're looking at a realistic candidate for it who has experience within the structures of Scottish football I can't really think of anyone better.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He was credited with shaking up the youth system at Dundee United, and bringing in an outsider like Cathro to run that side of things. He was also heavily involved in bringing through youth players in both his spells as Hearts manager.

He was also on the board at United and worked as Director of Football at Hearts, so he has experience working on that side of things too.

I'd say the role is almost custom made for him and if we're looking at a realistic candidate for it who has experience within the structures of Scottish football I can't really think of anyone better.

I think that would be setting our bar too low but then he is better suited than Mackay was, that’s for sure!