Malky Mackay

lanky_ffc

12 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It's highly (incredibly so) unlikely but you could play a team 11 times a season (4 x League, Challenge Cup, League Cup Groups, League Cup knock-out rounds, Scottish Cup plus replay, Play-off home and away). We've played Dundee United four times so far this season and still have to play them twice in the league, we're both still in the Scottish Cup and with our recent run we might yet play them in the play-off.

We played United a ridiculous number of times in the 1987-88 season.

4 x Premier League

1 x Skol Cup Q-F

3 x Scottish Cup (in the days of 2nd replays)

1 x Forfarshire Cup Final (When it was taken semi-seriously)

There's no guarantee that league expansion would result in more youth dev players getting a game either. It's probably quite inconvenient for the SFA but is there not the chance that some managers simply don't see youth development as a priority? If that is their position then is it likely to change regardless of whether there are 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 or 20 teams in the league?

That, for me is kind of where there's a problem in so much as you can have as many papers and reviews of how to improve youth development but unless that is actually a priority for the club and their management is willing to action and implement as a point of policy then it's really just rearranging deckchairs on the titanic.

Management and coaching staff really only have an obligation to the club they work for. If their remit is simply "finish as high up the league as possible" then how they achieve that is up to them.

Equally though if we (rightly) see a competitive league as a desirable thing then managers taking an "any means necessary" approach can't really come as too much of a surprise and tbh I can't see any sort of review or proposal that Mackay will put together that will change that.

It was only a spell from the invention of floodlights to the introduction of the Premier Division - when European football, the Texaco Cup and so on burgeoned - that clubs didn't play a lot of opponents 4+ times anyway.

Before the First World War there were 2 leagues (quite like how it still works in Brazil) - with a Glasgow League, an Edinburgh League, an Inter-City League and so on so the big clubs all played each other 4 times. Until a few decades ago the local cups like the Glasgow Cup and Glasgow Charity Cup, East of Scotland Shield and so on were full-blown first XI games with big crowds. There were unlimited replays in the Scottish Cup; home-n-away groups with the top 2 progressing into 2-legged knockouts in the League Cup; and even extra cups - sometimes short-lived tbf - like the Summer Cup (also home-n-away groups and 2-legged knockouts), Drybrough Cup and Anglo-Scottish Cup.

There were 8 OF derbies in 1956-57:

Wed 15 Aug ... Celtic 2-1 Rangers (45,000) ... League Cup Section II
Wed 22 Aug ... Celtic 3-4 Rangers (41,000) ... Glasgow Cup R1
Wed 29 Aug ... Rangers 0-0 Celtic (84,000) ... League Cup Section II
Sat 27 Sep ... Celtic 0-2 Rangers (53,000) ... SFL Division One
Tue 01 Jan ... Rangers 2-0 Celtic (60,000) ... SFL Division One
Sat 16 Feb ... Celtic 4-4 Rangers (55,000) ... Scottish Cup R6
Wed 20 Feb ... Rangers 0-2 Celtic (88,000) ... Scottish Cup R6 replay
Wed 1 May ... Rangers 1-0 Celtic (30,000) ... Gladgow Charity Cup R1

Hibs played Hearts 6 times in 1962-63 - only 1 before New Year - despite not having drawn them in the Scottish or League Cups. Including local tournaments they met 8 times in several seasons between the wars when there wasn't even a League Cup, again without a Scottish Cup meeting.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 2 months later...

Bump.

Couldn't see a thread elsewhere - rest of the new arrangement's upper echelons confirmed in today's paper:

* Jim Fleeting moves from Director of Football Development to become the new Director of Coaching
* Donald Park who was Head of Coach Education will be the new Head of Coaching
* Andrew Gould moves from Head of Regional Development to become the new Head of Football Development

• 3 years later...
31 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

"I believe significant progress has been made during my tenure," added Mackay. "Last year, we came together as a nation to support Shelley Kerr and her staff as they led Scotland to its first Fifa Women's World Cup Finals, in France.

He was in charge of player development for four years.

With the women qualifying for the World Cup, and the men for the Euros, on what planet exactly can he claim any level of success?

U21s, U19s, and U17s haven't done anything in the latter period of him being in charge, which is surely the only time he could have claimed to have had any impact?

Charlatan.  He won't be missed - on all levels.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

I'd be interested to know how many players who have come through the performance pathway are even playing for the full team or womens team yet.

If you want to judge him by results in age-grades - facts speak for themselves:

U21s qualified for 0 from 3... U19s qualified for 0 from 3... U17s qualified for 1 from 3... womens U19s qualified for 1 from 2... womens U17s qualified for 0 from 3.

Plus those 2 qualifications out 14 were for tournaments in 2017 and he only started in December 2016.

In that respect decidely underwhelming.

An absolutely disgraceful appointment in the first place.

He's done f**k all as, aside from his horrible comments, he was not qualified for the role at all.

I fully expect Sbragia, Stark or Gemmill will take the role.

Edited by DA Baracus

"Alright lads, that's it been four years since everyone found out that I'm a racist. I think everyone's forgotten about it, so I'll be leaving now to get a proper job"

"Nae bather Malko, gies a bell if you need any more help with your mortgage. Always some bullshit position we can invent for you"

On 18/11/2020 at 19:20, HibeeJibee said:

I'd be interested to know how many players who have come through the performance pathway are even playing for the full team or womens team yet.

The Performance Schools only started in 2012, so unless I'm mistaken the oldest players from it will be 19-20ish. I suspect we'll see the first graduate capped for the men's team within the next year in Billy Gilmour, and there are definitely a few others who are starting to make a name for themselves.

On 20/11/2020 at 16:56, craigkillie said:

The Performance Schools only started in 2012, so unless I'm mistaken the oldest players from it will be 19-20ish. I suspect we'll see the first graduate capped for the men's team within the next year in Billy Gilmour, and there are definitely a few others who are starting to make a name for themselves.

Sounds about right. Dean Campbell is 19 and was part of the performance school at Hazelhead.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Craig Levein would be the ideal candidate here - he's basically done with management and is unlikely to jump ship, and he has an excellent track record in developing young talent. I doubt either party would actually entertain the idea though.

Boom Boom

Ok, but any serious suggestions out there?

Boom Boom
Ok, but any serious suggestions out there?

That would be a better point to make if you hadn't just suggested Gordon Strachan, whose views on player development and man-management haven't moved on since the 90s. I genuinely can't think of many people I'd consider less suitable for shaping the future of Scottish football.

Levein takes a lot of deserved stick for his tactics as a manager, but he's very progressive in terms of youth development. He did a fantastic job at bringing through players and also revolutionising the youth systems at both Dundee United and Hearts.