Aberdeen v Motherwell - 13/12/2016

Can see excitement for tomorrow night's game is palpable among both sets of fans after dire 0-0s on Saturday, so much so, I've started a topic for the first time on Pie and Bovril.

In terms of team, natural width on both wings would be a start. Rooney has hit a fallow spell in open play and perhaps could do with resting. Maddison has also been realtively quiet, last Tuesday night excepted, and was kicked black and blue on Saturday. As such, I'd be very tempted to play: Lewis; Logan, O'Connor, Considine, Shinnie; Jack, McLean; McGinn, Pawlett, Hayes, Stockley.

For the love of god, use the width in our team and try to go at Motherwell quickly with the ball. Our build up play has to be better.

Not sure about the Motherwell team situation at present but McGhee is in the stand for this one I believe.

Predictions are a dire 1-0 win for the Famous, Hayes scoring, in front of a sub 9,000 crowd with under 150 travelling from Lanarkshire so close to Christmas.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-1-3-2

Lewis

Logan-O'Connor-Considine-Shinnie

Jack

McGinn-Maddison-Hayes

Stockley-Rooney

Of course this won't happen - as it would mean dropping McLean.  If that is the case - then McLean starts for Maddison, with the latter as an 'impact sub'.

Felt a wee bit sorry for Pawlett, only getting one half after a good game last Tuesday. If anything, we got worse in the second half when he went off - would leave him out for this though, but play at Dingwall on Sat.  Need Rooney and Stockley to play off each other in a more advanced role - neither are technically good enough to link up the play much, so needs a real shift from those in the middle and some quality service.

Jack is getting a hard time from many fans - but is an important player for us, just needs to move the ball faster though.

As for Motherwell - McDonald invariably scores against us, and is another one of these niggly players that we struggle with.   Still cannot believe any team with Mark McGhee as manager isn't 15 points adrift at the bottom already, but he seems to do ok there.

Prediction - hard fought 2-1 win  (McGinn, Stockley - McDonald)

It's more hope than expectation with this one.  

If everything goes as it should, then a comfortable 2-0 or 3-0 home win is on the cards.  

We just don't have a midfield at the moment, and if Cadden remains out and we go in with a two of Lasley & Clay, we are fucked.  

Our fixtures until the New Year is Aberdeen (a), St. Johnstone (a), Aberdeen (h), Inverness CT (a) & Hamilton (a).  We'll need to pick up some unexpected points along this run or we could be rooted to the bottom going into the break.

Our away form is largely hopeless. We've not won away since the opening day of the season so can't really see that changing here.

Seems we've got a few injuries mounting up. The aforementioned issue with Cadden is a boot in the baws and MacLean going off on Saturday with a broken toe was unfortunate as he'd been coming on to a game. For all the Killie game turned into a dire shitfest the chances we created came about from some excellent bits of football and truthfully with the clear-cut chances we had from MacLean x2, Clay, Ainsworth, Moult and McDonald we could easily have won by 3 and no one would have had any complaints. However we didn't and you can't help but feel with us that if we don't get the first goal then the game is unlikely to go our way.

Hopefully Cadden is fit, I'd imagine we'd stick with Ferguson at left back if McMillan's still injured and assuming he managed to get through his 45 minutes without picking up another injury I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucas start in place of Lasley give the latter's horror show on Saturday.

Samson

Tait Heneghan McManus Ferguson

Cadden Lucas Clay Ainsworth

McDonald Moult

3-1 to Aberdeen.

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Whoever plays out of Maddison or Pawlett will be viciously assaulted by Lasley.

we need someone dispensable in that position until Lasley is sent off. Maybe this is why we signed Callum Morris?

In fairness I doubt Lasley would even be able to get close enough to either Maddison or Pawlett to assault them.

Rooney is not firing on all cylinders at the moment. However, I haven't seen nearly enough from Stockley to suggest that he deserves to be commanding a starting berth - not least in his very unspectacular contributions at Ibrox and on Saturday. McInnes said at the conclusion of last season that he wanted more options and squad depth, so, with both favoured strikers failing to fully convince, now might an appropriate time to utilise that additional depth and afford Storey a reasonable opportunity to lead the line. It is probably now or never for him. 

I haven't been impressed with Jack's last three performances, but he will almost certainly play. Having said that, I'm not entirely sure whether the alternatives are greatly preferable. I would like a big improvement on some of his recent showings, especially from the weekend. 

The cynicism from some Motherwell fans on this thread is giving me a mixture of hope and cause for concern. I think we will probably win, but the product, in all likelihood, will be fairly poor. A bore draw certainly wouldn't surprise me, though. I'll go for a conservative 1-0 Aberdeen victory, with Hayes scoring the only goal.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

All said and done though it does give another opportunity to enjoy this video.

The prize money Motherwell made from that victory was somewhat undone from the Europa League the following season.

We got 15K against a Latvian side in QR1, 16K against Groningen and then 18K against Sociedad........making some good money.

If my memory serves me right - Motherwell came in to the second round and were beaten by a club from Iceland - I actually think the 180 minutes against the Latvians helped us knock out Groningen in the next round.  So all said and done, a blessing in disguise.........thank you Messrs Maclean and Langfield.

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Rooney is not firing on all cylinders at the moment. However, I haven't seen nearly enough from Stockley to suggest that he deserves to be commanding a starting berth - not least in his very unspectacular contributions at Ibrox and on Saturday. McInnes said at the conclusion of last season that he wanted more options and squad depth, so, with both favoured strikers failing to fully convince, now might an appropriate time to utilise that additional depth and afford Storey a reasonable opportunity to lead the line. It is probably now or never for him. 

I'd honestly say that I could see Storey giving our back 4 far more problems than Stockley. I think Heneghan's much more comfortable being asked to deal with a target man or someone who he's basically being asked to compete with physically than he is with someone with pace who'll play on his shoulder.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd honestly say that I could see Storey giving our back 4 far more problems than Stockley. I think Heneghan's much more comfortable being asked to deal with a target man or someone who he's basically being asked to compete with physically than he is with someone with pace who'll play on his shoulder.

Agreed. From what I saw of Storey last season and from what I've seen from Stockley so far in his time here, whilst different 'types' of centre forward, Storey strikes me as the superior option for games like these - and I had presumed that was a big part of the reason that he was signed in the first instance. I fully acknowledge that McInnes is in a better position than I am to judge the players on their own merits, but, given Storey was the summer signing that I was most excited about potentially making an impact on the team, I am disappointed with how it has turned out for him so far. He played reasonably well in his limited opportunities at the start of the season, before more or less sinking without trace. I also think that his style of play would be more complementary to some of our attacking midfielders, especially Maddison. McInnes presumably has his reasons for disagreeing with this assessment, though. 

Would expect Aberdeen to be better than they were on Saturday, that was one of the dourest games of football I've seen in some time (admittedly St Johnstone booting any player that got past them didn't help).

Will be in the away end for this one not really knowing what to expect from us. From what I gather McLean played well this weekend but is now injured and Cadden is also a doubt. I've only seen McLean for the under 20s but with those two out that's quite a lot of energy we'll be missing.

1-0 Aberdeen.

Archived