Amazon Warehouse

jmothecat

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't matter how fit you are, or how fast you go, they always expect you to go faster. You could be the fastest picker or packer in there and they would still order you to go faster. 

I've been involved in projects that oversee the working conditions in many warehouse firms and believe me, they will work people sick as they view them as easily disposable and replaceable units.

I know a few people who work there / have worked there.

A few guys that have left have all sorts of stories about how bad the place is. Incidentally, these are the same people who are lazy b*stards and hate working without skiving for as long as possible.

The guys I know who still work there say that as long as you've got a bit of drive about you, the jobs alright. Plenty overtime available as well so despite it being low-paid, they get a decent whack out of it by putting in the hours.

A few guys that have left have all sorts of stories about how bad the place is. Incidentally, these are the same people who are lazy b*stards and hate working without skiving for as long as possible.
The guys I know who still work there say that as long as you've got a bit of drive about you, the jobs alright. Plenty overtime available as well so despite it being low-paid, they get a decent whack out of it by putting in the hours.

Low paid is low paid, even worse coming from a company as large as Amazon.

Would they be able to survive if the overtime stopped?
Counting shift premiums and OT as part of your wage is all good till a manager decides to hire another low paid employee for the same money.

On 12/12/2016 at 01:58, jmothecat said:

Workers in Scotland working under oppressive conditions according to this Guardian report.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/11/amazon-accused-of-intolerable-conditions-at-scottish-warehouse

Anyone work there? It seems, anecdotally at least, that large companies are exploiting increasingly non-unionised workers and breaking employment law.

I worked in Amazons main hub in Dunfermine for a month last year. I wouldn't go back there ever again. First off you are doing 12 hour shifts, which isnt a issue except you are also travelling 5 hours a night(i live in Glasgow) They do put on a bus for you to make it there but you have to pay i think it was £7 a night. So basically when your not working your sleeping, which is pretty rough going. I worked in the returns department, which involved standing in the same spot for 12 hours sorting thru returned items, occasionally you would find broken items which was a lot of fun, especially if they are filled with toxic stuff, fertilizer etc. Don't get me wrong the job is dead easy but as someone else mentioned, they give you targets and constantly increase them. They act like they pride themselves on safety but the reality is they really don't give a f**k.

At the time i was recovering from ligament damage in my ankle and despite explaining this to them at the interview they still accused me of lying when i started having trouble with my ankle. During a 12 hour shift you got 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch, oh and 5 minutes bathroom breaks. Eventually i had to throw in the towel as my ankle just couldn't take the strain anymore, on the night i decided to quit, i phoned them up to explain i wouldn't be coming back so they told me that i had to show up at the site to return my ID, i said that i would post it to them instead but they threatened to dock my pay unless i showed up in person, so after travelling the 2 or so hours there, they screwed me around for an hour which caused me to miss the return bus, so i basically had to wait the full shift for the next bus.

After 6 hours killing time(say about 1am) in the cafeteria the manager who screwed me around shows up and says that for security reasons i am no longer permitted to stay on the grounds as i am no longer employed by them. I explained that the only reason i was stuck out there was because he took his time and made me miss the bus, that its the middle of the night and about -10 outside. No cash machines nearby to lift cash and no money on me for alternative transport. The manager did not give a f**k and threatened me saying that either i leave or they will get security to make me leave. So i spent the next 7 hours(the bus was late, which was pretty common, occasionally it wouldn't show up at all) sitting in a open bus shelter trying to keep warm while waiting for the bus. They docked my pay anyway. 

Id pick never working ever again if my only alternative was working there.

I worked in Amazons main hub in Dunfermine for a month last year. I wouldn't go back there ever again. First off you are doing 12 hour shifts, which isnt a issue except you are also travelling 5 hours a night(i live in Glasgow) They do put on a bus for you to make it there but you have to pay i think it was £7 a night. So basically when your not working your sleeping, which is pretty rough going. I worked in the returns department, which involved standing in the same spot for 12 hours sorting thru returned items, occasionally you would find broken items which was a lot of fun, especially if they are filled with toxic stuff, fertilizer etc. Don't get me wrong the job is dead easy but as someone else mentioned, they give you targets and constantly increase them. They act like they pride themselves on safety but the reality is they really don't give a f**k.

At the time i was recovering from ligament damage in my ankle and despite explaining this to them at the interview they still accused me of lying when i started having trouble with my ankle. During a 12 hour shift you got 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch, oh and 5 minutes bathroom breaks. Eventually i had to throw in the towel as my ankle just couldn't take the strain anymore, on the night i decided to quit, i phoned them up to explain i wouldn't be coming back so they told me that i had to show up at the site to return my ID, i said that i would post it to them instead but they threatened to dock my pay unless i showed up in person, so after travelling the 2 or so hours there, they screwed me around for an hour which caused me to miss the return bus, so i basically had to wait the full shift for the next bus.

After 6 hours killing time(say about 1am) in the cafeteria the manager who screwed me around shows up and says that for security reasons i am no longer permitted to stay on the grounds as i am no longer employed by them. I explained that the only reason i was stuck out there was because he took his time and made me miss the bus, that its the middle of the night and about -10 outside. No cash machines nearby to lift cash and no money on me for alternative transport. The manager did not give a f**k and threatened me saying that either i leave or they will get security to make me leave. So i spent the next 7 hours(the bus was late, which was pretty common, occasionally it wouldn't show up at all) sitting in a open bus shelter trying to keep warm while waiting for the bus. They docked my pay anyway. 

If true (I have my doubts) then this is a very funny story.

Other than that quite good then..

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

FB pal, just lost his job with this company (agency driver) straight after Christmas, they sound terrible to work for!!

A guy that used to work in my office left to take a job there, said it made sense as he was moving to Fife. Sacked on the 2nd January, told me he went in for his shift and was marched out half an hour later. He wasn't on a Christmas temporary job either.

On 10/01/2017 at 09:05, RedRob72 said:

FB pal, just lost his job with this company (agency driver) straight after Christmas, they sound terrible to work for!!

6 hours ago, mizfit said:

A guy that used to work in my office left to take a job there, said it made sense as he was moving to Fife. Sacked on the 2nd January, told me he went in for his shift and was marched out half an hour later. He wasn't on a Christmas temporary job either.

These boys didnt drive for European Currie did they ??

Archived