Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, StandFree03 said:

Am I totally wrong or isn't the mark-up on food considerably higher than alcohol in pubs?

Depends on the quality of the food, but generally speaking the mark up is lower even though you make more overall. 100% mark up on a steak will make you more per sale than 150% mark up on a bottle of beer. You will likely sell far more bottles of beer than you will steaks though.

Wine and soft drinks were the two that generally had the highest mark up when I was in the pub game. Anything from 300% to 1000% on both.

14 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Dowanhill Bar is now the Sparkle Horse and is hipster central. Seems to do well for itself and the hike in prices made the transition from Pertick jakeys to nouveau West endies almost seemless.

The Sparkle Horse is close to the work so we usually end up in there if we head for a drink. You're right, it is very hipster. It's annoyingly small though thus gets rammed on a Friday night. Think it's about £3.80 for a Tennents but from memory is a clean enough pint. 

Depends on the quality of the food, but generally speaking the mark up is lower even though you make more overall. 100% mark up on a steak will make you more per sale than 150% mark up on a bottle of beer. You will likely sell far more bottles of beer than you will steaks though.
Wine and soft drinks were the two that generally had the highest mark up when I was in the pub game. Anything from 300% to 1000% on both.

Draught in general is a b*****d to try and make anything off of whilst keeping it at a competitive price, think this is partly the reason for the explosion of pubs being keen to advertise more and more bottled products. As you mentioned the GP mark up on soft drinks is insane, if I just sold endless pints of Pepsi I would have been as happy as a pig in shit.

Vast majority of pubs go for cheap and cheerful food at cost price, it just makes more sense economically to flog a microwaveable curry for eight quid that requires little man power as well, it is far too expensive for pubs to run solely on alcohol sales now unfortunately.

31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Another worrying trend is people queuing in single file at the bar. Had someone moaning at me for "cutting the line". It's a bar, mate. Even the barmaid told him that you don't queue like you're in a shop. Is this what Brexit Britain looks like?

It's a peculiar trend, this.

Also, has reserving tables in a pub always been a thing or has this coincided with the rise in "shite pubs"?

9 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

Draught in general is a b*****d to try and make anything off of whilst keeping it at a competitive price, think this is partly the reason for the explosion of pubs being keen to advertise more and more bottled products. As you mentioned the GP mark up on soft drinks is insane, if I just sold endless pints of Pepsi I would have been as happy as a pig in shit.

Vast majority of pubs go for cheap and cheerful food at cost price, it just makes more sense economically to flog a microwaveable curry for eight quid that requires little man power as well, it is far too expensive for pubs to run solely on alcohol sales now unfortunately.

Unless you are willing to do a Wetherspoons and take barrels that have been returned from elsewhere and that have to be sold inside a few days, you'll struggle to make much on draught beer. Generally just a case of keeping the brewery happy and getting the odd freebie thrown in when you meet their sales targets.

Those £8 quid curries do well when they are washed down with a £4 glass of wine that comes from a bottle costing about a quid. As you say, cheap and cheerful food to get folk in, unless you have the balls to go upmarket, get a proper chef in and charge stupid prices for a glorified hamburger.

Unless you are willing to do a Wetherspoons and take barrels that have been returned from elsewhere and that have to be sold inside a few days, you'll struggle to make much on draught beer. Generally just a case of keeping the brewery happy and getting the odd freebie thrown in when you meet their sales targets.
Those £8 quid curries do well when they are washed down with a £4 glass of wine that comes from a bottle costing about a quid. As you say, cheap and cheerful food to get folk in, unless you have the balls to go upmarket, get a proper chef in and charge stupid prices for a glorified hamburger.

Insider knowledge, aye? [emoji6]

To be fair if pubs could do that they probably would. Unfortunately the risk outweighs the reward as the potential loss of flushing out of date beer is excruciatingly expensive. Wetherspoons have the benefit of purchasing power on their side, and even a 22 gallon keg of Tennents is pretty much guaranteed to shift on a Saturday.

Not well.  It was called The Priory the last time I walked by it.

XhJaf.gif
I wonder if this is what it was like for the as nails war/heavy industry generations when sawdust started disappearing off floors, lager became a thing, bottled beers started appearing, etc.

13 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

Insider knowledge, aye? emoji6.png

To be fair if pubs could do that they probably would. Unfortunately the risk outweighs the reward as the potential loss of flushing out of date beer is excruciatingly expensive. Wetherspoons have the benefit of purchasing power on their side, and even a 22 gallon keg of Tennents is pretty much guaranteed to shift on a Saturday.

Worked in a dozen or so different pubs at various times back home, including a stint with Wetherspoons where I ended up a shift manager for a while. Enjoyed the job but not sure I could go back to it if I moved home. Would probably consider it here as it is a totally different ball game in so many ways and is far more profitable here in just about every single measurable aspect.

Spot on with regards to their purchasing power. It's both the best and worst thing about them. Great for punters who are wanting cheap beer with little regard to quality, shite for anyone who even considers trying to compete on price.

16 minutes ago, banana said:

XhJaf.gif
I wonder if this is what it was like for the as nails war/heavy industry generations when sawdust started disappearing off floors, lager became a thing, bottled beers started appearing, etc.

The problems all started when they let women into the pubs. Before you knew it your wife was wanting to know why Jim from next door was taking home £9 a week more than you were despite doing the same job for the same length of time. It was only a small jump from that to skate wing with lemon butter, samphire and hazelnuts washed down with triple filtered organic lemongrass beer imported directly from the bath tub in our head baristas bedsit.

Worked in a dozen or so different pubs at various times back home, including a stint with Wetherspoons where I ended up a shift manager for a while. Enjoyed the job but not sure I could go back to it if I moved home. Would probably consider it here as it is a totally different ball game in so many ways and is far more profitable here in just about every single measurable aspect.

Spot on with regards to their purchasing power. It's both the best and worst thing about them. Great for punters who are wanting cheap beer with little regard to quality, shite for anyone who even considers trying to compete on price.

These c***s, for example.

411.jpg&key=439b4b62c45eac0a49f3a3400714c3c2203f4b1cb2ae3cf10c5361393fd6620e

You can just f**k next door with the Ladies. If not open bye.

I'm actually on way home. From work. Hope shes got the dinner ready. Probably some a Thai dishe again....

Just now, SlipperyP said:

You can just f**k next door with the Ladies. If not open bye.

I refer you to this, cunto.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

The problems all started when they let women into the pubs. Before you knew it your wife was wanting to know why Jim from next door was taking home £9 a week more than you were despite doing the same job for the same length of time. It was only a small jump from that to skate wing with lemon butter, samphire and hazelnuts washed down with triple filtered organic lemongrass beer imported directly from the bath tub in our head baristas bedsit.

This turning pubs shite is not a new thing- there was a trend in the early 1990s for turning spit and sawdust establishments into fecking "Oirish" pubs.

I noticed some of the rougher boozers I avoided in my Aberdeen student days have been gentrified- for example Martins Bar and the Seaton (aka "Broken") Arms. I wonder if the Broadsword is still rough as a badgers bahoochie? There was also a pub down by the docks where one night I stretched up to yawn and scraped the skin off my knuckles on the artexed ceiling.

26 minutes ago, banana said:

XhJaf.gif

I remember my mother talking about emptying the spittoons and putting down sawdust in my grandfather's pub(s).

Only time I go to pubs now is for a bit of lunch. Felt a bit grubby last time I was out at one boozing. Had the afternoon to myself so decided to just go to watch Soccer Saturday with all the other old drunkards at my local. Seemed good craic at the time but felt a bit empty after. I knew I wouldn't normally associate with this group of folk and it was just a shared drug of choice bringing us together. 

Had amazing times in pubs over the years but even when I was still drinking I found I'd lost interest in being in them at night, waiting to get served, keeping my cool with folk who really deserved put on their arse. I don't really have a point to make other than pubs are not really a part of my life any more and I can't be the only one, given the changes and gentrification folk describe. 

Hipstery, up their own arse bar folk are the pits too. 

Archived