Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

13 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

What you need to do is write/draw some thought provoking graffiti in the toilets so that these places don't forget their roots.

The White horse bar in Elgin is great if you fancy some quantum physics while you're going for a pish, for example. You'll appeal to the moustache-twiddlers and battle hardened pissheads alike.

There used to be some fucking hilarious graffiti in the White Horse's gents.

Please don't tell me this has been gentrified now too?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, throbber said:

I think they were trying to do it up for years and ran out of money and torched it. Everyone was calling it an insurance job at the time anyway.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/video-fierce-fire-destroys-derelict-newhaven-road-pub-1-4203599

Apt link.

The Old Toll was on the corner opposite Comet and the Evening News/Scotsman place.

The Bonnington Bridge was 150 years further up Newhaven Rd.

Is Foxys still on the go? Met a very melted Yogi in there one Ne'er morning @5 am

There used to be some fucking hilarious graffiti in the White Horse's gents.
Please don't tell me this has been gentrified now too?

I haven't been there in a while but as far as I'm aware it's as good as ever. I can smell the place from memory so I'm pretty sure it's beyond saving.

7 minutes ago, Njord said:

Apt link.

The Old Toll was on the corner opposite Comet and the Evening News/Scotsman place.

The Bonnington Bridge was 150 years further up Newhaven Rd.

Is Foxys still on the go? Met a very melted Yogi in there one Ne'er morning @5 am

No idea about Foxy's i have never heard of it. There is the Oceana that is on Ferry Road up there i have only been in it twice and the second time i was there it wasn't the most welcoming of places!

Glasgow's West end hasn't fared much better.

A couple of pubs on Byres Road haven't changed much, namely Tennents Bar and The Aragon which is under new ownership and has satellite TV again.

Not a big fan of either. A mix of cliquey regulars and random arseholes from all over the place.

Whistlers mother is now a noodle restaurant, The Rubiyat is now owned by Heineken and is more a restaurant called The Hill.

Curlers is now Curlers Rest and is mostly food focused but serves some decent Ales.

Ironically the place with least change is Ashton Lane with Brel, Wodka Wodka and Jinty McGintys not seen much change over the years. Same with the chip. Grosvenor is now at the cinema but last time I was in the Tennents was four quid a pint!

Old haunt the Halt on Woodlands Road is a West Brewery branch out.

The Captains Rest is now Munros a craft ale selling eaterie. 

The old Hub is now a vegan themed Pint and Hug although they do gigs downstairs.

Wintergills across the road hasn't changed much but again is quite cliquey.

Carnarvon bar on St Georges Road hasn't changed and is two fifty a pint so that attracts a certain clientele. 

Finnieston is totally changed as mentioned. Brass Monkey and Rockus are okay but I've not ventures down for a while.  Even Starvin Marvins sandwich shop has shut and someone is trying to shoe horn a restaurant into the place. 

I rarely go into any of them now. Three Judges, The Rock and at a push Gallus are where I'll occasionally head for as I rarely go to the pub outwith football days.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

No idea about Foxy's i have never heard from it. There is the Oceana that is on Ferry Road up there i have only been in it twice and the second time i was there it wasn't the most welcoming of places!

Probably not it'll be full of boys reeking on £2.80 Stella. 

Just now, Kool Keith said:

Probably not it'll be full of boys reeking on £2.80 Stella. 

Yeah it was - was this summer i was there and there were a few pissed up topless individuals that didn't look particularly friendly. Always seems quite busy when ever i walk past though so obviously doing something right. I still haven't been to the Booking Office at Waverly, there is also a new Spoons coming on Lothian Road soon.

Can't remember the last time I was in a pub that doesn't do food. Doesn't help that the price of a pint is creeping towards a fiver anywhere close to a city centre. Was in Glasgow West End on Friday afternoon and bought 2 pints n got a fiver and about 40p in change from a tenner, I thought that was a great price for 2 stellas.. turned out he'd only charged me for 1!

The Welcome inn, only drank in it once, the regulars clearly didn't like me sitting in their area as they started throwing jackets etc. towards me trying to get me to move away. 

That's it. As you locals were a different bread. I was luck used to work there and knew most of their wife's. Good times

17 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

A couple of pubs on Byres Road haven't changed much, namely Tennents Bar and The Aragon which is under new ownership and has satellite TV again.

Not a big fan of either. A mix of cliquey regulars and random arseholes from all over the place.

Whistlers mother is now a noodle restaurant, The Rubiyat is now owned by Heineken and is more a restaurant called The Hill.

Curlers is now Curlers Rest and is mostly food focused but serves some decent Ales.

Ironically the place with least change is Ashton Lane with Brel, Wodka Wodka and Jinty McGintys not seen much change over the years. Same with the chip. Grosvenor is now at the cinema but last time I was in the Tennents was four quid a pint!

The old Hub is now a vegan themed Pint and Hug although they do gigs downstairs.

Carnarvon bar on St Georges Road hasn't changed and is two fifty a pint so that attracts a certain clientele. 

Finnieston is totally changed as mentioned. Brass Monkey and Rockus are okay but I've not ventures down for a while.  Even Starvin Marvins sandwich shop has shut and someone is trying to shoe horn a restaurant into the place. 

I rarely go into any of them now. Three Judges, The Rock and at a push Gallus are where I'll occasionally head for as I rarely go to the pub outwith football days.

I used to drink regularly in The Aragon and it saddened me greatly the last time I was in and the place seemed to be getting run into the ground.  Glad to hear that they're trying to get it going again.

Whistlers Mother was always a bit of a shithole, but I liked it and it's been a law of diminishing returns in each new guise it finds itself in.

The Ruby was always a funny place, never seemed quite right for some reason.

Curlers was fine when I was younger when it was the Scream place, but I actually think it's improved since it's been done up.

I was never really in the Halt, but the West brewery place is fucking horrific.  

I really like Munros, but was never in the Captains Rest so can't comment on that one.

Wintergills has been the same since I was 18 as far as I know.

The amusingly named "Welcome Inn". Unintentional irony at its best. 

2006 last time I was there. Great banter with locals. As I said I work locally at the time. Everycunt knew me around that area. They were very welcome to me as an outsider. winning at pool more than 3 times was like setting fire to the place.
Not been big headed, iv done a few cool hand Luke's in my time.

Can I just mention pubs with very loud music.
Carry on.

Broadcast is bad for this. There's a free club downstairs that makes it even more irritating.

Another worrying trend is people queuing in single file at the bar. Had someone moaning at me for "cutting the line". It's a bar, mate. Even the barmaid told him that you don't queue like you're in a shop. Is this what Brexit Britain looks like?

14 minutes ago, banana said:

How's Brunswick Cellars fared in recent years? Fav haunt back in student and post student years, but it's been a good five years since I was last down Sauchiehall St way.

Not well.  It was called The Priory the last time I walked by it.

Absolutely this, I was only living away from Glasgow for five years or so and the change has been ridiculous.

Luckily Three Judges is the same, and a ten minute walk away. Gallus will always have a special place in my heart for accepting my International Driving Licence when I was 15.

Only time I venture away from Patrick Cross is for the live music night at Jinty's on a Thursday, the boy whose name I can't recall is absolutely outstanding, and I have always disliked live music.

Past two years or so Dundee has really accelerated this fad, but reckon a good few of the traditional pubs have a better chance of survival.

'The Market' which has just opened after acquiring the site of the Capitol from 'Spoons on the Seagate sounds like it'll crash and burn within a year. They have rushed it so much front entrance still reads as the Capitol ffs [emoji23]

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I used to drink regularly in The Aragon and it saddened me greatly the last time I was in and the place seemed to be getting run into the ground.  Glad to hear that they're trying to get it going again.

Whistlers Mother was always a bit of a shithole, but I liked it and it's been a law of diminishing returns in each new guise it finds itself in.

The Ruby was always a funny place, never seemed quite right for some reason.

Curlers was fine when I was younger when it was the Scream place, but I actually think it's improved since it's been done up.

I was never really in the Halt, but the West brewery place is fucking horrific.  

I really like Munros, but was never in the Captains Rest so can't comment on that one.

Wintergills has been the same since I was 18 as far as I know.

Munros is fine for a beer or a bite to eat. Not the worst upgrade by a long shot.

Couple of additions.  Partick Tavern is something else now. Seems to be an improvement but that wouldn't be hard ;)

Arlington Bar seems just the same with a younger crowd.

The Chancellor Bar is now Gumbo Gumbo a bayou themed bar. Decent selection of beer and bourbons and other spirits. 

The old snooker club at the foot of Byres Road is now the Record Factory. Does quite a few gigs and club nights now. I don't think they have a pool table anymore. Has unused the space outside to create a beer garden space. 

Dowanhill Bar is now the Sparkle Horse and is hipster central. Seems to do well for itself and the hike in prices made the transition from Pertick jakeys to nouveau West endies almost seemless.

A lot of changes have been for the good but sometimes I fancy somewhere I can sit down and watch the football without listening to loud music.

I'm just getting old really :)

Brunswick Cellars? Not sure. I was in there about three years ago but it seemed to have changed a bit. In fact it might have been a new place further down. 

State Bar is pretty much the same as ever although the owner passed away a wee while ago. 

Variety Bar shut mot sure if that's reopened under a different guise?

Moving back to the west end the Doublet is still decent and has a good juke box up the stairs.

Stravaigan is okay for a late night pint and there is a place further up on the corner of Bank Street which is cheap and cheerful and open late too. 

Archived