Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

20 minutes ago, mungo said:

Terrible news about Bannisters. Used to nip in there for an occasional pint when I lived round there. Also sad to hear about the globe. I will be working in that area tomorrow so will go on for a look. Somebody please tell me the state in Glasgow city centre has avoided a makeover. I think that is my all time favourite pub and would cry if it went all fancy dan.

The State is still fine. The Art School hipsters are still there, but then they always were. Think the Jakey bar underneath is still going strong too, though I've never ventured down.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original design of pubs is mostly fine. Love the horseshoe shaped bars etc. Also happy with the getting rid of sticky carpets and other tobacco and puke stained fabrics. Agree with the sentiment of the OP though...

It's still a shitehole. Was in last week and it has a funky aroma in the place as well, £2 lager though...

I'm impressed it's survived tbh. They did cider for £1 a pint on student nights back in the day, and an unwritten rule that consumption of class b drugs should be upstairs only.

27 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Our only pub in the village burnt down.

12276562036_1d42441a05_b.jpg

Perhaps you'll need to take me up on my very generous ( still on the table ) offer of an early bird meal at the Wheelhouse, to smooth over your irrational hatred for one of the forums' gents.  Indeed, it was only the other week another member PM'd me to say "If this forum was a canal,  you mate would be the lock keeper!  Because you're strong, unwavering, and ensure smooth passage for all".   I'd be happy to pay for a Soup 'n' Main and a couple drinks, although I'd expect you to cover any main course supplements to Steak or suchlike because, while I'm financially comfortable, I ain't no fucking mug.   19th suits me best.   

Not that I disagree with it, but the smoking ban has been the death knell for decent pub culture. 

I'll be telling my grandchildren that in the 90's I was in my 20's during the golden age of pubs staying open after 3pm, while being able to chuff away without the risk of getting pneumonia.

Just now, Pearbuyerbell said:

Perhaps you'll need to take me up on my very generous ( still on the table ) offer of an early bird meal at the Wheelhouse, to smooth over your irrational hatred for one of the forums' gents.  Indeed, it was only the other week another member PM'd me to say "If this forum was a canal,  you mate would be the lock keeper!  Because you're strong, unwavering, and ensure smooth passage for all".   I'd be happy to pay for a Soup 'n' Main and a couple drinks, although I'd expect you to cover any main course supplements to Steak or suchlike because, while I'm financially comfortable, I ain't no fucking mug.   19th suits me best.   

Don't like The Wheelhouse,went once and was not impressed and to be frank I don't care that you are posting again as you are behaving and not breaking the rules.

11 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Pubs were dieing a death, cheap booze from supermarkets were leading punters to drink at home. Woman have a tighter grip on their men these days as well therefore the old going to the pub after work is a past time. There's the term "old mans boozer", they are closing left right and centre so the publicans have no choice but to get with the times. Where I'm from originally in Glasgow, Linthouse. We had a shite old mans boozer named the Gazelle, it was a dark hell hole with a pool table and shite regulars. In the end it was another pub casualty but because of the new super hospital a bawhair away, new owners came in and bought the place, the put windows back in, installed a kitchen, put all the fancy nancy furniture in and now the place is busy all the time. Open mic all day saturday, nice food and well priced booze. Nice wee atmosphere in there as well!

Got to admit, I do like a traditional boozer which is generally why I tend to start my nights out in the Welly in Falkirk then go across the road to the Scotia before heading off to Sportsters or wherever. Behind The Wall is a nice pub but it's too fancy nancy to the point I don't find much of an atmosphere in there anymore.

Had many a good night in the Welly and a few good old fashioned lock in's as well,my pub when I was younger was Elliot's a good Falkirk pub.When the pub was owned by the brewery it was a fantastic place as the manger knew it was a Falkirk supporters pub and knew he only had to say on it would be calmed down.

It was sold off and now it is not as good.

7 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Not that I disagree with it, but the smoking ban has been the death knell for decent pub culture. 

I'll be telling my grandchildren that in the 90's I was in my 20's during the golden age of pubs staying open after 3pm, while being able to chuff away without the risk of getting pneumonia.

This ^ . I've barely ventured into a pub since the smoking ban. Used to love taking a sunday paper , a pack of fags and  nursing a pint for an hour or so then watching a bit of football.

54 minutes ago, mungo said:

This ^ . I've barely ventured into a pub since the smoking ban. Used to love taking a sunday paper , a pack of fags and  nursing a pint for an hour or so then watching a bit of football.

Doubt very much that Pubs are closing because they're losing your £1.80 for a singular pint ( in the 90's)  while blowing smoke at everyone.   

There are two main reasons pubs are less popular:  

1.  We can watch sport at home these days, and on equally large screens.  
2.  You can buy 24 bottles of Bud/Miller etc for about 10 pounds.   This would cost around £75 in the boozer.   

There's reasons why pubs are too expensive including government duties, and breweries strangling the industry.    Until governments intervene to introduce policies that make drinking out only 2 or 3 times more expensive than home scooping, sadly the pub industry with continue to diminish.   Although clearly it will never die: It's very much survival of the best run, and the cheapest.   

Just now, Duff Man said:

Where is/was Elliots? I have heard of it before but sure this was because of a Falkirk supporters bus ran from it. I mind years ago playing against a Falkirk Supporters Team at Graeme High (Ironically for the P&B select back in the day) and we got taken to a boozer which I'm sure is now some Carpet shop across from Victoria Park, it isn't Elliots was it?

Elliots is the Graeme Hotel across from the Tesco Petrol Station at the retail park mate.

2 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Foundry? What's the other one?

Am I totally wrong or isn't the mark-up on food considerably higher than alcohol in pubs?

The Corrina, I imagine.

Almost all the pubs in Leith have turned to shite. You've still got the Persie, The four, Robbies, the harp, middies, tamsons and I'd imagine the central is still the decent

The rest have turned into these hipster joints with middle class students punting humous club sandwiches and pouring luke warm piss water into empty jam jars

Archived