Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

I've noticed a worrying trend of late. After tonight's experience I feel that something has to be said.

For some bizarre reason, decent, solid pubs are turning into what can only be described as cafes. Two boozers in Perth have undergone internal refurbishments which has transformed them from the classic, dingy pub style of which we are all used to - into a bright, shiny and tacky new look which makes the pub look more like a fucking cafe. For example, the old brown seat covers are replaced with lime and blue striped cushions, the walls covered with beige paint or wallpaper, and the small gimmicks which gave the pub character in the first place are removed altogether.

Tonight I was in Dundee for the first time in a good while. We made our way to the Globe Lounge, my favourite watering hole during my uni years. Imagine my horror as we stepped in to find that this once charming and rustic pub had been transformed into, yes you guessed it, a fucking cafe. Cushioned seats and sofas are in vile colours like bright pink and purple, the walls covered with dull, cream paper - and the small charms like windowsill ornaments and the compass print on the ceiling with distances of major world cities from the pub - gone.

What the hell is going on? Is this an attempt to make pubs look more family friendly? Whatever it is I don't like it. I won't be going to any of these pubs again! They look disgusting and feel absolutely dreadful to be in. Pubs are meant to be a bit rough around the edges. Pints, lager, grub, pool, jukey, bandit, lads, birdies. That's what it's all about. I don't want to sit in a boozer which looks like they pride themselves on their tea and scones.

What say you? Has anyone else's local been turned into a fucking cafe?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Bannisters after the OCS gig last night.  Except it's now been renamed "Strip Joint" and totally renovated.  It's all very nice but there was something nice about Bannisters holding on to the dingy, slightly rough boozer appearance that used to describe all the pubs in Finneston before it's gentrification. 

32 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I was in Bannisters after the OCS gig last night.  Except it's now been renamed "Strip Joint" and totally renovated.  It's all very nice but there was something nice about Bannisters holding on to the dingy, slightly rough boozer appearance that used to describe all the pubs in Finneston before it's gentrification. 

i fucking wondered where bannisters had went to before the chilis gig on thursday night, i thought i had too much pre concert and simply forgot where it was

40 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Is this an attempt to make pubs look more family friendly? Whatever it is I don't like it. I won't be going to any of these pubs again! They look disgusting and feel absolutely dreadful to be in. Pubs are meant to be a bit rough around the edges. Pints, lager, grub, pool, jukey, bandit, lads, birdies. That's what it's all about. I don't want to sit in a boozer which looks like they pride themselves on their tea and scones.

yeah sounds like it, gone are the days when guys used to go to the boozer after work, pubs are desperately trying to keep going so if they can entice families in they will do it,

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

i fucking wondered where bannisters had went to before the chilis gig on thursday night, i thought i had too much pre concert and simply forgot where it was

This will happen to you more and more as you get older I'm afraid

3 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

yeah sounds like it, gone are the days when guys used to go to the boozer after work, pubs are desperately trying to keep going so if they can entice families in they will do it,

Who on earth wants to go for a pint with a lot of screaming sprogs running around?

45 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I've noticed a worrying trend of late. After tonight's experience I feel that something has to be said.

For some bizarre reason, decent, solid pubs are turning into what can only be described as cafes. Two boozers in Perth have undergone internal refurbishments which has transformed them from the classic, dingy pub style of which we are all used to - into a bright, shiny and tacky new look which makes the pub look more like a fucking cafe. For example, the old brown seat covers are replaced with lime and blue striped cushions, the walls covered with beige paint or wallpaper, and the small gimmicks which gave the pub character in the first place are removed altogether.

Tonight I was in Dundee for the first time in a good while. We made our way to the Globe Lounge, my favourite watering hole during my uni years. Imagine my horror as we stepped in to find that this once charming and rustic pub had been transformed into, yes you guessed it, a fucking cafe. Cushioned seats and sofas are in vile colours like bright pink and purple, the walls covered with dull, cream paper - and the small charms like windowsill ornaments and the compass print on the ceiling with distances of major world cities from the pub - gone.

What the hell is going on? Is this an attempt to make pubs look more family friendly? Whatever it is I don't like it. I won't be going to any of these pubs again! They look disgusting and feel absolutely dreadful to be in. Pubs are meant to be a bit rough around the edges. Pints, lager, grub, pool, jukey, bandit, lads, birdies. That's what it's all about. I don't want to sit in a boozer which looks like they pride themselves on their tea and scones.

:lol: I've been in the 3 boozers you mention in the past week. Agree with the sentiment but i'm only in them to drink the beer and ogle the wimmin. 

My dingy local was turned into some shitey hipster joint a few years ago. I was gutted because it was one of the only pubs where I knew the regulars by name. They're all scattered to the winds now and its full of c***s with full beards, waxed moustaches and pinstripe trousers. 

Terrible news about Bannisters. Used to nip in there for an occasional pint when I lived round there. Also sad to hear about the globe. I will be working in that area tomorrow so will go on for a look. Somebody please tell me the state in Glasgow city centre has avoided a makeover. I think that is my all time favourite pub and would cry if it went all fancy dan.

What you need to do is write/draw some thought provoking graffiti in the toilets so that these places don't forget their roots.

The White horse bar in Elgin is great if you fancy some quantum physics while you're going for a pish, for example. You'll appeal to the moustache-twiddlers and battle hardened pissheads alike.

The Invergowrie Inn lounge has undergone the exact transformation described above.

It's not a new thing. Anyone who drank in Dundee Union pre2003 will remember we with fondness a dirty sticky wood panelled hovel that has been replaced with the fucking brightly lit Ikea pub nightmare it became.

A few pubs fell to the same fate in that era, namely Braes and Laings.

21 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

My dingy local was turned into some shitey hipster joint a few years ago. I was gutted because it was one of the only pubs where I knew the regulars by name. They're all scattered to the winds now and its full of c***s with full beards, waxed moustaches and pinstripe trousers. 

Do they not want to be friends wi you?

Archived