F1 2017

die hard doonhamer

I felt that it is time to move on to the 2017 F1 thread.

The BBC are reporting, and I presume others are as well, that Mercedes have had an initial offer for Valteri Bottas turned down by Williams.

It also appears that Paddy Lowe is close to agreeing to join Williams, with James Allison set to replace him. Allison is currently in gardening leave after leaving Ferrari, and would be unable to join Mercedes until the summer, but Lowe also has a 6 month notice period.

Of course, there are big changes to the regulations coming in this year, hopefully it brings red bull and ferrari a bit closer to the mercs.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

I felt that it is time to move on to the 2017 F1 thread.

The BBC are reporting, and I presume others are as well, that Mercedes have had an initial offer for Valteri Bottas turned down by Williams.

It also appears that Paddy Lowe is close to agreeing to join Williams, with James Allison set to replace him. Allison is currently in gardening leave after leaving Ferrari, and would be unable to join Mercedes until the summer, but Lowe also has a 6 month notice period.

Of course, there are big changes to the regulations coming in this year, hopefully it brings red bull and ferrari a bit closer to the mercs.

Paddy Lowe to Williams? Not Ferrari? 

Edit: Just googled and it is Williams. Jeezo really surprised at that.

Williams only looking after themselves which is perfectly reasonable from a team point of view, but it would be a shame for Bottas if this ended up being his only shot at a top drive and a chance to win races. He's not going to win races any time soon where he is now. I see Werhlein has also been mentioned as being lent out to Williams but the Williams team aren't that impressed enough as in their view he doesn't have the experience along with Stroll to be constant enough to win points regularly and they would be concerned this would affect their prize money. Williams more than any other team through out their history have always gone with at least one very experienced driver, sometimes two.

Another option who has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the second Mercedes is Carlos Sainz Jr. With the Red Bull seats locked out for next season and Sainz who has been impressive but now going into his third season with Toro Rosso, it seem very likely he along with Kvyat will be looking for drives elsewhere after next season as STR are unlikely to hold on to drivers for that long and will probably go for two new drivers in 2018. I don't think STR would hold back Sainz from going to Mercedes and this might open the door for GP2 champion Pierre Gasly who is next up on the Red Bull ladder or maybe Ferrari might loan Antonio Giovanazzi.

The second Sauber drive could be between Giovanazzi, Gutierrez and last seasons driver Felipe Nasr who unfortunately lost his main sponsor. Sergey Sirotkin might also be an option for this drive as is Pascal Wehrlein if he doesn't want to remain at Manor.

If Haryanto finds the sponsorship he should be back at Manor for next season.

13 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Alonso has turned down Mercedes as he thinks he can win the title again with McLaren. Looks like it's between Wehrlein and Sainz for the second Merc seat.

AKA....Holy Shit, McLaren/Honda have my contract tied down pretty solid, no chance Mercs will pay out.

While Wehrlein was my initial pick, I wouldn't be surprised if we see further talks to get Botta's.....maybe a few engine developments and enginers going Williams way while Bottas unpacks in the Mercs garage.

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

AKA....Holy Shit, McLaren/Honda have my contract tied down pretty solid, no chance Mercs will pay out.

While Wehrlein was my initial pick, I wouldn't be surprised if we see further talks to get Botta's.....maybe a few engine developments and enginers going Williams way while Bottas unpacks in the Mercs garage.

Or no gardening leave for Paddy Lowe...

Even with the big sponsor gone, he must still have some money to bring to the table, otherwise he wouldn't even be considered for those teams.

Maldonado gets a lot of flack (some justified) but he's far more deserving of a seat than shite like Gutierrez anyway.

No arguments with that. I could ease see GUT in the manor next year sadly, whilst the guys in gp2 / F v8 3.5 miss out.
I'm really hoping Ollie Rowland has another good season and punts another seat stealer, Joleyon Palmer.

On 12/15/2016 at 19:27, doulikefish said:

Bottas to merc looks a gooer with Massa un retiring :lol: but merc saying no annoucement until next year 

Rosberg retiring has had the effect of making Massa un-retire it seems.  Apparently Massa wasn't expecting to get a competitive drive next year hence his retiring, the vacancy at Williams has now changed all that.

I was hoping Paul Di Resta would get the Williams drive and a return to F1 (he was Williams reserve driver in 2016)

Archived