Raith v Dundee United

I don't grudge Ray for his move to United. He didn't jump right away and had a good think about the decision, but the reality is United are too good an opportunity for him to turn down. Looking back, the first 5 months of 2016 were absolutely phenomenal.

We played some excellent, winning football with some brilliant talents across the team. While Aiden Connolly was exactly a world beater the in the top tier, he was absolutely running riot in the Championship. Louis Longridge also turned into a very dependable loanee. Ryan Hardie and Mark Stewart lined up well together. Even Joel Thomas coming on at Cappielow to pull off ridiculous tricks and turns was hilarious. Each week after January, I had complete confidence that we'd be a match for whoever we played. 

The grudge is completely with how United were straight away on the phone after the playoffs, and how events unfolded. Even before and after the playoff games, you had some hack from the Tele writing articles about McKinnon and how it'd be his dream job and he'd leave even if we got promoted. 

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like United have tightened up the bombscare defence they had for the 2-2 game at Tannadice while we have forgotten how to pass the ball, create and take chances. Only one outcome here...

3-2 Rovers like the poisonous Tommy McLean game in 1996. The chance to hurl abuse at McKinnon is like a boo boy's wet dream.

22 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

Looks like United have tightened up the bombscare defence they had for the 2-2 game at Tannadice while we have forgotten how to pass the ball, create and take chances. Only one outcome here...

3-2 Rovers like the poisonous Tommy McLean game in 1996. The chance to hurl abuse at McKinnon is like a boo boy's wet dream.

It's certainly a wee bit ironic that over the past few seasons our biggest weakness has been our central defenders.  Now we appear to have gone a long way to address that problem we are woefully lacking in the striker department.

I see McKinnon thinks he'll get a 'half-decent' reception. Now the dust has settled a bit, what do we think Rovers fans?

I bear no grudge and never have, but that didn't stop me giving him a bit of stick at Tannadice. Panto villain I reckon.

He was only here for a season. First third of the season was good, second third was the usual horrible to watch stuff, final third was excellent, and possibly the best we've played since the glory years. I won't give him abuse, but in the grand scheme of things he only managed 4th place in the Championship. In short, fill your boots.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

He was only here for a season. First third of the season was good, second third was the usual horrible to watch stuff, final third was excellent, and possibly the best we've played since the glory years. I won't give him abuse, but in the grand scheme of things he only managed 4th place in the Championship. In short, fill your boots.

In fairness it's the third best league placing we've had since we came down in 96/97, with only a third place finish in 97/98 (after spending an absolute f**k tonne of money) and second in 10/11 (Thanks Gregory) beating it.

In fairness it's the third best league placing we've had since we came down in 96/97, with only a third place finish in 97/98 (after spending an absolute f**k tonne of money) and second in 10/11 (Thanks Gregory) beating it.

Also our best points tally in the second tier since 1995 (and only McGlynn's Second Division title winners were higher from the third tier). In a league with Rangers, Hibs and Falkirk who lost four matches all season, that's exceptionally impressive.

Regardless of reception I'm sure we'd all kill to have him back. The swine.

Judging by this article in the FFP changes for tomorrow's game will be minimal. So Benedictus and Barr will start because they're decent players and McManus will keep his place because someone's paying his wages. At least Locke won't be over the moon with Roberts this weekend.

I did laugh at the quote from Barr saying 'it's rubbish to be sitting in the stands watching'. Agreed, Bobby.

Yep, set against a general benchmark of unmitigated shiteness for 20 years, he done okay.

13 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Yep, set against a general benchmark of unmitigated shiteness for 20 years, he done okay.

Yup, by comparison to most, McKinnon was god like. That decade from 96-06, fucking brutal.Raith season.JPG

Yup, by comparison to most, McKinnon was god like. That decade from 96-06, fucking brutal.Raith season.JPG

The tail end of last season was superb, but at the end of the day it didn't get us anywhere. We achieved nothing in terms of promotion or cup wins. Great to watch but unfortunate that we were in a league with Hibs, Rangers and a good Falkirk side.

We've done okay the last few seasons but we are in a bit of a situation. We meander along with little danger of relegation or promotion. This, as well as all the other issues like affordability, is probably why we can't draw a crowd. Our situation will undoubtedly change at some point, probably with a relegation. I was slagging that diddy cup win against Sevco a couple of seasons ago, but looking at it realistically, that or a League One trophy are the most likely things I'll see us win. I keep hoping for a promotion from this league of a Scottish Cup win, but the odds are stacked against either of those events happening.

What we need is a rich benefactor...

Archived