Unemployment/Careers

So what's a good thing to get into?

I've found myself unemployed after working in hospitality, fucking hated it so half glad I'm unemployed so I can have a sociable life as well as working because working in a kitchen is no life at all.

What's a good thing to get into? What are you's people doing? Can anybody recommend something to a young lad like me?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All work is just shit tbh, I would recommend getting this into your head as early as possible and then hopefully you will find a line of work that doesn't trigger depression from an early age.

Pretty much this sadly. I highly doubt I'll ever work in a job that I actually look forward to getting up for in the morning.

I've found myself unemployed after working in hospitality, fucking hated it so half glad I'm unemployed so I can have a sociable life as well as working because working in a kitchen is no life at all.
What's a good thing to get into? What are you's people doing? Can anybody recommend something to a young lad like me?

Can you sing? X Factor could be an option for next year.

Apart from that it's just a load of jobs that suck the life out you. Then you get really old and you might not have to work anymore. Then you get a bit of time off in retirement. Then you die. Enjoy!

Construction. The bigger housebuilding firms have full order books just now and they're expecting a skills shortage post-Brexit. 

Smashing cows heads in with a sledgehammer is probably only slightly less horrible than being stuck on a muddy, cold damp building site in January in Scotland.

Pretty much this sadly. I highly doubt I'll ever work in a job that I actually look forward to getting up for in the morning.

I might have been a bit harsh there as I have had some happy memories of working and have never really gone through any spell of hating my work, so long as you agree with what you are doing and can get any sort of job satisfaction out of what you are doing then you are doing okay. I complain about my career choice as a tradesperson but that is mostly because I had a bad experience that made me want to change my career and most the time I was happy enough and got a good deal of satisfaction out of it.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Smashing cows heads in with a sledgehammer is probably only slightly less horrible than being stuck on a muddy, cold damp building site in January in Scotland.

Only if you're a lazy shit with a clipboard like throbber hopes to be. 

Only if you're a lazy shit with a clipboard like throbber hopes to be. 

I actually don't want to be that guy - I am applying for various positions but I have no intention of being lazy in any of them!

2 hours ago, HardcoreVibes said:

If you can cope with the brain damage then call centre/telephone customer service jobs are ok.

Like all roles it really depends on the employer as to how much of a dick/non-dick they are.

Some of my happiest days were on the dole...pay is shite but the hours are fantastic, and effectively you are your own boss. Monday blues/Sunday fear...nah. Use the time to do whatever you want, you'll get another job soon enough and never have enough leisure time....

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

I actually don't want to be that guy - I am applying for various positions but I have no intention of being lazy in any of them!

Sorry, that was a bit rude. What I meant was if you're working hard with the right clothing the conditions don't matter too much. Unless you're fannying about with a clipboard. You'll be sitting in a cosy portacabin sipping mulled wine and posting about your scary neighbours.

At 58 I've more or less retired. 

Though through I'll health . 

It's great sitting up as late as you want knowing you don't have to get up early to start work at 6 am. 

The downside is I'm dying . 

Though always look on the bright side of life.

Sorry, that was a bit rude. What I meant was if you're working hard with the right clothing the conditions don't matter too much. Unless you're fannying about with a clipboard. You'll be sitting in a cosy portacabin sipping mulled wine and posting about your scary neighbours.

That's the dream anyway.

What would you tell yourself?

That the world and the capitalist system is absolutely fucked, your job doesn't define who you are and an employer/organisation doesn't give a f**k about you. Just to basically get what ever ideas of blind enthusiasm I have out of my head as early as possible.

:blink: Fucking hell. Seriously?
I genuinely feel sorry for anyone with this view of life.
How the hell did you get so angry?

Nah I'm being a bit OTT for dramatic effect.

Definitely needed a bit of a reality check when I was young though and spent too much time around the wrong type of people, life is tough when you are just out of school and don't know what to do and look to people for answers but get contradictory responses.

The only good thing to get into is something you are interested in.
Anything else will suck the life out of you.
Life is way too short for to spend it in endless misery.

When I was young I was only interested in girls, football and fannying about with my pals getting drunk. What is an interesting job for this sort of person?

Now i'm interested in absolutely nothing. Not sure what sort of job is best for someone who is interested in nothing. Any ideas?

Archived