SJFA Social Media....or lack of it.

The Borrheid Bull

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Glesgaboy, I usually agree with most of what you say as it is well thought out and logical. However, The bit I've quoted above is nonsense, in my opinion.

I have an 8am to 5pm job Monday to Friday, and a wife and two children and a busy life outside of my activities with work and football, as I am a member of The Salvation Army.

However, I still have time to keep the Rutherglen Glencairn website updated on a daily basis, as well as the Facebook and Twitter accounts and the correspondence with the Rutherglen Reformer. It really is not even close to a full time job.

The SJFA already have their websites set up, so all it takes is somebody to occasionally spend a little time promoting the game at this level with a few tweets and Facebook posts each day, like the senior clubs do.

And the time that you take is relative to your own club and specifically for your own club. Multiply that by the number of clubs within the relevant association and the effort required to collate any/all information pertinant to all your members,update previous information,engage with any/all external agencies/internal partners and then make sure the information is formatted, posted/issued in a timely manner and then follow up/deal with responses/enquiries generated as a direct result of the information disseminated. Anything less than an exemplary response or service (that was the standard/benchmark set by the poster I was replying to) would be deemed nothing less than failure. The only thing worse than no information is dated/incorrect information, a fact borne out on here by the number of posts that fly up as soon as something wrong/incorrect is posted.

The time frame required to meet that standard, in my opinion, is correct and based on a service something similar that we provide to a racecourse.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Could you please outline what the SJFA's full-time employee does 9-5?

I would like to think that the clubs already have a job description for the employee that you refer to and if not then more fool them for employing someone without a job description and then paying them a salary with no idea what they`re actually doing.

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

It would be a FT job updating a website and social media platforms? 

What part of it would take up that amount of time? 

Fans only seem to be looking for timeous and regular information and that would be a fairly logical addition to the existing role of updating the SJFA Website. 

In any case it seems a bizarre and backward position to argue that the SJFA should be excused from this because some clubs can't manage it themselves. The organisation is there to serve it's members and decent social media exposure is part of that. 

The bizarre thing for me is for the expectation of a message to be delivered to a membership when it`s already been confirmed by other posters that, for a variety of different reasons, some of the said members won`t even get the message!!!

So it has to be perfect or it's not worth bothering with at all?

The majority of grumbles on here are about fixtures and cup draws, both of which are handled in a painfully inept fashion. It would take little to bring these aspects up to scratch immediately.  

Social Media platforms - if used intelligently - relive individuals of the burden of having to update information from multiple stakeholders. The stakeholders can simply do it themselves. Look no further than The Juniors for an example of that in action. What you need though is someone to make sure the platform is set up correctly and properly maintained but that is not as intensive a role as is being made out. 

1 minute ago, GLESGABOY said:

I would like to think that the clubs already have a job description for the employee that you refer to and if not then more fool them for employing someone without a job description and then paying them a salary with no idea what they`re actually doing.

The bizarre thing for me is for the expectation of a message to be delivered to a membership when it`s already been confirmed by other posters that, for a variety of different reasons, some of the said members won`t even get the message!!!

Well that would be the problem of said members, but it shouldn't be everyone else's. 

2 minutes ago, Shanner said:

So it has to be perfect or it's not worth bothering with at all?

The majority of grumbles on here are about fixtures and cup draws, both of which are handled in a painfully inept fashion. It would take little to bring these aspects up to scratch immediately.  

Social Media platforms - if used intelligently - relive individuals of the burden of having to update information from multiple stakeholders. The stakeholders can simply do it themselves. Look no further than The Juniors for an example of that in action. What you need though is someone to make sure the platform is set up correctly and properly maintained but that is not as intensive a role as is being made out. 

If you host a platform for multiple stakeholders/organisations then you become the defacto " responsible person" for any information on that platform and assume liability for the content. As i said previously the only thing worse than no information is incorrect/late information and when you allow/expect updates to be submitted by others then by default that`s exactly what you`ll get. Would you leave yourself open to criticism/liability based on the performance of others over whom you have no direct control notwithstanding any legal implications that you may also encounter?

As I`ve said repeatedly,the fixtures are what the clubs make them. Without going over old ground ,the assertion that the publication of a seasons worth of fixtures will solve everything is flawed thinking. The lack of floodlights throughout the grade is cause enough on it`s own for this argument to be sunk. Normal practice for postponed weekend games is for them to be scheduled and replayed midweek. The lack of lights means that any weekend postponements then have to be rescheduled for a ...................weekend! 

1 minute ago, GLESGABOY said:

If you host a platform for multiple stakeholders/organisations then you become the defacto " responsible person" for any information on that platform and assume liability for the content. As i said previously the only thing worse than no information is incorrect/late information and when you allow/expect updates to be submitted by others then by default that`s exactly what you`ll get. Would you leave yourself open to criticism/liability based on the performance of others over whom you have no direct control notwithstanding any legal implications that you may also encounter?

As I`ve said repeatedly,the fixtures are what the clubs make them. Without going over old ground ,the assertion that the publication of a seasons worth of fixtures will solve everything is flawed thinking. The lack of floodlights throughout the grade is cause enough on it`s own for this argument to be sunk. Normal practice for postponed weekend games is for them to be scheduled and replayed midweek. The lack of lights means that any weekend postponements then have to be rescheduled for a ...................weekend! 

What you can do though with say a 22 match programme for example is schedule games up until February and rearrange thereafter for saturdays and then midweeks from April.

It cannot work though while the Junior Cup is played within Nov-Mar.

14 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

Most of the notional problems you mention could be dealt with by moderation and issuing guidance about conduct, format and content.

We're talking about people within clubs taking responsibility here, not just random internet nutjobs. If that can't be arranged without fear of it breaking down into a squabble then we might as well chuck the whole thing now. 

And if erroneous information creeps in then that will just have to be something that they work on eradicating - human error happens, but it would still be preferable to the current preferred model of  human ineptitude. In any event it's in the clubs own interest to make sure they're getting things right. 

Other organisations certainly seem to recognise Social media as something to be used not feared and manage just fine and after a wee cultural transition we could see that in the Juniors as well. 

9 hours ago, GLESGABOY said:

There you go, you got there yourself and it wasn`t even that hard. My usual road that you refer to is the road to any change that you (if indeed you are representative of your club and it`s internal viewpoint) and the rest of the clubs in the region desire. The administrators of the game are voted in by and for the clubs. It`s not difficult to understand.The Clubs have the power to shape how the game looks going forward. If they choose not to exercise this power then you cannot blame the people that administer the game on their behalf.

In terms of the OP, the "example from the top" that you refer to is a difficult one in terms of social media use/promotion. Do you have any idea how much time would be required to specifically promote a regional sports body using social media platforms to the exemplary standard that you refer to? I`ll give you a clue....you would need at least 1 person employed on a full time basis,5 days a week and most likely a part time assistant around the time of the later stages of the major cup competitions.

The game could always be run better, that`s a given. But when you have clubs operating on fumes and goodwill, that mostly exist almost on a week to week basis then I would have thought that social media usage or lack thereof would have been under the heading of nice to have but not exactly frickin urgent!!! 

A full time job to update social media to a decent standard? 

You're honestly having a laugh now as lots of clubs can manage it and those who do take the time have busy schedules in their lives both with workload and on a personal level and these people are strictly volunteers who aren't taking a wage for their efforts, in lots of cases updating websites , facebook & Twitter can take 5 minutes and if you've ever heard of copy and paste then it would take even less . A full time job ?lol, 

And the time that you take is relative to your own club and specifically for your own club. Multiply that by the number of clubs within the relevant association and the effort required to collate any/all information pertinant to all your members,update previous information,engage with any/all external agencies/internal partners and then make sure the information is formatted, posted/issued in a timely manner and then follow up/deal with responses/enquiries generated as a direct result of the information disseminated.

The expectation should be for the clubs to do all that themselves. There would be no expectation for an SJFA social media person to do work that clubs should be doing. The SFA/SPFL don't do it for their clubs, they only release stuff that is specifically relevant to them as an organisation.

4 hours ago, GLESGABOY said:

Are you the employee at sjfa

6 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Are you the employee at sjfa

Nice of you to stick your head above the parapet after your teams defeat yesterday!!! Would you not rather dissect that than attempt (and fail, I may add) to be a tit...sorry predictive text.. a wit!!

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

The expectation should be for the clubs to do all that themselves. There would be no expectation for an SJFA social media person to do work that clubs should be doing. The SFA/SPFL don't do it for their clubs, they only release stuff that is specifically relevant to them as an organisation.

Agreed ,but for all the reasons stated elsewhere the clubs can`t, won`t and don`t (obviously there are exceptions but in the main they don`t...

4 minutes ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

You do get very defensive though when anyone questions the beaks......

Its nothing to do with being defensive or questioning the beaks. It`s to do with the one BIG FACT that`s written into the constitution of the very organisation that the clubs are members of and staring you all in the face yet you continue to ignore...THE CLUBS HAVE THE POWER TO EFFECT CHANGE!! until the clubs manage some form of joined up thinking nothing will change and the game at this level will continue to degrade and deteriorate very slowly until at some point it won`t exist.It can be done but it needs to be driven by the clubs in the first instance and it needs to happen on 2 fronts. Local community engagement by each of the clubs within the communities that they`re situated would be a start (and I mean proper,meaningful engagement and not the majority of the stuff that people seem to think passes as engagement. ie naming an under 11`s team after the club doesn`t qualify as engagement).And on a wider scale to a wider audience by the clubs as a whole (and using the region that they sit with at this point as well) 

It`s easy to pick up the laptop/tablet/phone and slaughter the region, administrators etc for everything from the shit weather to the fact that some of you can`t get a phone signal in your toilet!!! First and foremost it`s the clubs responsibillity not anyone elses. Either do something about it or stop whingeing!!! 

2 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

Its nothing to do with being defensive or questioning the beaks. It`s to do with the one BIG FACT that`s written into the constitution of the very organisation that the clubs are members of and staring you all in the face yet you continue to ignore...THE CLUBS HAVE THE POWER TO EFFECT CHANGE!! until the clubs manage some form of joined up thinking nothing will change and the game at this level will continue to degrade and deteriorate very slowly until at some point it won`t exist.It can be done but it needs to be driven by the clubs in the first instance and it needs to happen on 2 fronts. Local community engagement by each of the clubs within the communities that they`re situated would be a start (and I mean proper,meaningful engagement and not the majority of the stuff that people seem to think passes as engagement. ie naming an under 11`s team after the club doesn`t qualify as engagement).And on a wider scale to a wider audience by the clubs as a whole (and using the region that they sit with at this point as well) 

It`s easy to pick up the laptop/tablet/phone and slaughter the region, administrators etc for everything from the shit weather to the fact that some of you can`t get a phone signal in your toilet!!! First and foremost it`s the clubs responsibillity not anyone elses. Either do something about it or stop whingeing!!! 

In that case then everyone else is whingeing other than you . 

Fans on here have no power over who's voted in year after year and people are quite correct on coming on here to debate / voice their opinions on how the game is ran . Isn't that what a forum is for wouldn't you agree? 

2 hours ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

In that case then everyone else is whingeing other than you . 

Fans on here have no power over who's voted in year after year and people are quite correct on coming on here to debate / voice their opinions on how the game is ran . Isn't that what a forum is for wouldn't you agree? 

There isn`t any debating about it.... slaughtering the people that the custodians/officers of your club elect on an annual basis is not debate on any level. I notice that you chose to evade the over-arching point in your response, which says it all really. Happy to whinge and moan at administrators rather than take your own club to task in an attempt to try and better the game or the spectacle as a whole..... 

39 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

There isn`t any debating about it.... slaughtering the people that the custodians/officers of your club elect on an annual basis is not debate on any level. I notice that you chose to evade the over-arching point in your response, which says it all really. Happy to whinge and moan at administrators rather than take your own club to task in an attempt to try and better the game or the spectacle as a whole..... 

Nobody Is slaughtering anyone , people just want to see our grade ran better and even just a few fixtures in advance would be decent rather than 6 days in advance . 

People are elected in all forms of life and when elected then they are in a position of trust to do their Damn finest , If what we are seeing is the finest then God help us , it's not for fans of clubs to chap the door down at their respective clubs either to want change or take their clubs to task as you say , it's up to the present committees at all clubs to seek change and maybe there's a fear factor in doing so . 

Hopefully that time for change will come as our grade is a laughing stock. 

40 minutes ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

Nobody Is slaughtering anyone , people just want to see our grade ran better and even just a few fixtures in advance would be decent rather than 6 days in advance . 

People are elected in all forms of life and when elected then they are in a position of trust to do their Damn finest , If what we are seeing is the finest then God help us , it's not for fans of clubs to chap the door down at their respective clubs either to want change or take their clubs to task as you say , it's up to the present committees at all clubs to seek change and maybe there's a fear factor in doing so . 

Hopefully that time for change will come as our grade is a laughing stock. 

You clearly choose to ignore the diatribe that`s spouted regularly on here aimed specifically at the administrators of the game so I`ll help you out, 3rd post in, " Cause junior football is run by absolute morons " is a prime example from a leading member of the debating team! You can trawl as many of these threads as you like and you`ll find similar pearls of debating wisdom sprinkled throughout..

You could have reduced your answer significantly by just saying. NO, I don`t want to challenge my club to work harder to try and improve he game (wether that be season long fixture list or any of the other fan based issues that pollute the forum) 

So on the one hand you want the elected officials (elected by the committees that run the member clubs) that administer the game on behalf of the clubs to do their damn finest because they are in a position of trust..........and yet at the same time you are practically absolving the committees of the member clubs (your own club included) of any culpability about the current status of the game. Seriously??????  If it`s not for fans to ask questions of their clubs then who? Who will push for any sort of meaningful change? If the answer actually is as you have posted above and that you don`t see it as your place to ask questions of your clubs custodians (multiplied across all the member clubs) then at some point there will be someone switching lights off on the way out because there will be nothing left to see.

15 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

You clearly choose to ignore the diatribe that`s spouted regularly on here aimed specifically at the administrators of the game so I`ll help you out, 3rd post in, " Cause junior football is run by absolute morons " is a prime example from a leading member of the debating team! You can trawl as many of these threads as you like and you`ll find similar pearls of debating wisdom sprinkled throughout..

You could have reduced your answer significantly by just saying. NO, I don`t want to challenge my club to work harder to try and improve he game (wether that be season long fixture list or any of the other fan based issues that pollute the forum) 

So on the one hand you want the elected officials (elected by the committees that run the member clubs) that administer the game on behalf of the clubs to do their damn finest because they are in a position of trust..........and yet at the same time you are practically absolving the committees of the member clubs (your own club included) of any culpability about the current status of the game. Seriously??????  If it`s not for fans to ask questions of their clubs then who? Who will push for any sort of meaningful change? If the answer actually is as you have posted above and that you don`t see it as your place to ask questions of your clubs custodians (multiplied across all the member clubs) then at some point there will be someone switching lights off on the way out because there will be nothing left to see.

Any change whatsoever whether it be managerial changes / changes to the football ground / changes to budgets etc is the responsibility of committees up and down the country and if fans want an official say then you join the committee through a first proposal and then it being seconded at an AGM. 

Fans don't make decisions , committees do and why committees haven't got together as one to try and enforce change is a mystery to me and is probably a mystery to you , however as has been said the same guy has been doing the fixture list for years on end , like everything in life practice should make you better and maybe clubs vote the person in believing that it will get better, in actual fact it seems to be getting worse from season to season ; as said there seems to be a real fear factor to try and enforce change ; maybe there are a group who are in actual fact happy with the present situation but I know lots who aren't . 

Glesgaboy - I know people can stand against the various officials at regional level but I don't know if that's the case for the SJFA Secretary position? I just cannot see what the role is. Superficially, everything bar organising the sponsorless cup is done by regions or SFA. There must be a hell of a lot going on behind the scenes (beyond reinstatement!) or we know who the Scottish World Champion at Solitaire is!

Archived