SJFA Social Media....or lack of it.

The Borrheid Bull

Anyone know why there is very little social media coming out of the SJFA? They don't appear to be on Facebook, rarely post on Twitter.

I find in this day and age it's very disappointing from the governing body that there is very little activity in this area.

I say this as with SYFA and the SAFA they have nailed it in my option.

So come on SJFA, get yer finger oot.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many clubs have Facebook pages that are current and up to date? How many clubs have a Twitter feed that is current? How many clubs have an actual website? Answers on the left cheek of an ants arse.... the homeless guy and curtains analogy springs to mind here..  Does this mean that clubs who don`t use any of the social media platforms are run by absolute morons?????

Rob Roy have two active twitter accounts, two active facebook accounts.

A current updated website and two weekly reports from the local newspaper a match report bit and managers reaction bit.

As for the sjfa surely someone at the organisation of a younger persuasion could keep it going with good quality regular updates.

35 minutes ago, GLESGABOY said:

How many clubs have Facebook pages that are current and up to date? How many clubs have a Twitter feed that is current? How many clubs have an actual website? Answers on the left cheek of an ants arse.... the homeless guy and curtains analogy springs to mind here..  Does this mean that clubs who don`t use any of the social media platforms are run by absolute morons?????

You will find that the vast majority of junior teams have all that you're on about . 

Bottom line is that the amateur leagues governing bodies have far better social media skills than its junior counterparts.

5 minutes ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

You will find that the vast majority of junior teams have all that you're on about . 

Bottom line is that the amateur leagues governing bodies have far better social media skills than its junior counterparts.

From memory there are circa 62 clubs in the West Region and you`ll find that the vast majority of those clubs don`t have anything on social media platforms that is CURRENT AND REGULARLY  UPDATED (and by that I mean useful,current, meaningful information and not adverts or pop-ups). Some clubs are better at it than others of that there is no doubt, and some have a plethora of information.But any suggestion that the clubs leave their region behind in terms of social media use is rubbish.

Just now, GLESGABOY said:

From memory there are circa 62 clubs in the West Region and you`ll find that the vast majority of those clubs don`t have anything on social media platforms that is CURRENT AND REGULARLY  UPDATED (and by that I mean useful,current, meaningful information and not adverts or pop-ups). Some clubs are better at it than others of that there is no doubt, and some have a plethora of information.But any suggestion that the clubs leave their region behind in terms of social media use is rubbish.

It's like every other walk of life whether it be the work place or at any level of sport , the example should always come from the top and filter its way down - in this case the top is the governing bodies and the standard should be exemplary and then the clubs follow suit to the best of their ability ; instead most clubs are doing very well in promoting their clubs whether it be through social media or through good old fashioned hospitality to new comers ; what we are getting though from those in paid positions through lack of social media and lack of fixtures and their general lack of promoting our game is selling everyone short . 

No doubt you will go down the usual road of saying who votes these people in year after year and that it's the clubs but I can hardly think of any fans who are happy with how our game is ran, do you in your own opinion think that it's ran well ? 

Why do the fans of each club allow their representatives to condone the status quo?  I am as guilty as anyone. Inertia prevails.

The WJFA are an anachronism. Any business behaving and performing in the way that they do would be defunct by now.

I hate criticising others without coming up with an alternative. I personally do not have the time to instigate change locally, far less nationally but, stating the obvious, it is long overdue.

It is because most Junior clubs are run by people of a certain age who are not computer savvy whereby the amateurs are run by young whipper snappers who go through life with a mobile phone strapped to their lugs

It is because most Junior clubs are run by people of a certain age who are not computer savvy whereby the amateurs are run by young whipper snappers who go through life with a mobile phone strapped to their lugs

You don't need to be young or a whipper snapper or have a phone strapped to your ear to type and produce decent output.
This is the kind of mentality that holds this grade back.

Can only speak for ourselves where we have a Facebook page which is closed & you have to apply to join which is regularly updated. We also have an official twitter site which is up to date & an unofficial site that was neglected for a while for undisclosed reasons & a club website also up to date .
What else can we do?

2 hours ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

It's like every other walk of life whether it be the work place or at any level of sport , the example should always come from the top and filter its way down - in this case the top is the governing bodies and the standard should be exemplary and then the clubs follow suit to the best of their ability ; instead most clubs are doing very well in promoting their clubs whether it be through social media or through good old fashioned hospitality to new comers ; what we are getting though from those in paid positions through lack of social media and lack of fixtures and their general lack of promoting our game is selling everyone short . 

No doubt you will go down the usual road of saying who votes these people in year after year and that it's the clubs but I can hardly think of any fans who are happy with how our game is ran, do you in your own opinion think that it's ran well ? 

There you go, you got there yourself and it wasn`t even that hard. My usual road that you refer to is the road to any change that you (if indeed you are representative of your club and it`s internal viewpoint) and the rest of the clubs in the region desire. The administrators of the game are voted in by and for the clubs. It`s not difficult to understand.The Clubs have the power to shape how the game looks going forward. If they choose not to exercise this power then you cannot blame the people that administer the game on their behalf.

In terms of the OP, the "example from the top" that you refer to is a difficult one in terms of social media use/promotion. Do you have any idea how much time would be required to specifically promote a regional sports body using social media platforms to the exemplary standard that you refer to? I`ll give you a clue....you would need at least 1 person employed on a full time basis,5 days a week and most likely a part time assistant around the time of the later stages of the major cup competitions.

The game could always be run better, that`s a given. But when you have clubs operating on fumes and goodwill, that mostly exist almost on a week to week basis then I would have thought that social media usage or lack thereof would have been under the heading of nice to have but not exactly frickin urgent!!! 

6 hours ago, GLESGABOY said:

There you go, you got there yourself and it wasn`t even that hard. My usual road that you refer to is the road to any change that you (if indeed you are representative of your club and it`s internal viewpoint) and the rest of the clubs in the region desire. The administrators of the game are voted in by and for the clubs. It`s not difficult to understand.The Clubs have the power to shape how the game looks going forward. If they choose not to exercise this power then you cannot blame the people that administer the game on their behalf.

In terms of the OP, the "example from the top" that you refer to is a difficult one in terms of social media use/promotion. Do you have any idea how much time would be required to specifically promote a regional sports body using social media platforms to the exemplary standard that you refer to? I`ll give you a clue....you would need at least 1 person employed on a full time basis,5 days a week and most likely a part time assistant around the time of the later stages of the major cup competitions.

The game could always be run better, that`s a given. But when you have clubs operating on fumes and goodwill, that mostly exist almost on a week to week basis then I would have thought that social media usage or lack thereof would have been under the heading of nice to have but not exactly frickin urgent!!! 

Could you please outline what the SJFA's full-time employee does 9-5?

7 hours ago, GLESGABOY said:

It would be a FT job updating a website and social media platforms? 

What part of it would take up that amount of time? 

Fans only seem to be looking for timeous and regular information and that would be a fairly logical addition to the existing role of updating the SJFA Website. 

In any case it seems a bizarre and backward position to argue that the SJFA should be excused from this because some clubs can't manage it themselves. The organisation is there to serve it's members and decent social media exposure is part of that. 

Do you have any idea how much time would be required to specifically promote a regional sports body using social media platforms to the exemplary standard that you refer to? I`ll give you a clue....you would need at least 1 person employed on a full time basis,5 days a week and most likely a part time assistant around the time of the later stages of the major cup competitions.

Glesgaboy, I usually agree with most of what you say as it is well thought out and logical. However, The bit I've quoted above is nonsense, in my opinion.

I have an 8am to 5pm job Monday to Friday, and a wife and two children and a busy life outside of my activities with work and football, as I am a member of The Salvation Army.

However, I still have time to keep the Rutherglen Glencairn website updated on a daily basis, as well as the Facebook and Twitter accounts and the correspondence with the Rutherglen Reformer. It really is not even close to a full time job.

The SJFA already have their websites set up, so all it takes is somebody to occasionally spend a little time promoting the game at this level with a few tweets and Facebook posts each day, like the senior clubs do.

Archived