Bonnyrigg Rose at home vs Hibernian

thelegendthatis

1 hour ago, BumbleBeeBlastie said:

Wait a minute did Bonnyrigg not just play a round at home to championship team ???  So kind of odd they aren't allowed this one at home to championship team no matter who it is they are playing give them the home tie. Whatever capacity is and get on with it. We really are the laughing stock of world football how we are run. It's become an embarrassment 

It makes perfect sense to host the match in an arena where the demand for tickets can be satisfied. Football is a spectator sport after all. 

As pointed out, this tie will have far greater interest. 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Red Rose said:

The only significant thing here is that you are shitting it about another defeat at Tynecastle. 

We will play you and beat you anywhere that the SFA see fit.

That's the spirit.

Albion Rovers apparently may see their tie moved for police or H/S reasons - real or imagined - whereas so far the only comments from Bonnyrigg have been about moving it to get a bigger crowd and accordingly make more money. If it isn't possible to play it at NDP for police or H/S reasons then obviously it will have to be moved and the question is simply where to go.

It becomes a more sensitive area if the SFA do give permission to move a tie to get a bigger crowd and make more money, because it would potentially set a precedent for the future.

Every time the OF got drawn away to a lower-league or non-league team... and also the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs in certain parts of the country... it could be in the financial interests of the host club to move it to another venue. Berwick can accommodate about 4,000 at Shielfield but could be better off playing such a game in Edinburgh. That would change the cup's ethos - and reduce the chance of shocks - which is why it wouldn't be a decision taken lightly.

I'm with HibeeJibee on this one. It sets an awkward precedent if clubs can move simply to increase their gate. If a tie needs to be moved for health and safety or policing issues, then the the SFA's compromise of nearest appropriate ground is reasonable. Forres Mechanics managed to host Sevco a few years back, a tie which they could've moved to Inverness. If New Dundas Park can be appropriately segregated and is deemed by the authorities to be safe to host the game, then the tie should be there.

If this game gets moved to Tynie, Bonnyrigg will take in the region of 4/5 thousand. Maybe a bit less at meadowbank. Hearts played at murryfield in Europe and a bit further down south spurs used Wembley to accommodate supporters who want to go to the game. If Bonnyrigg can negotiate with hearts and they agree then where's the problem? Bonnyrigg make money, hibs make money and so does hearts. It's like there's a fat cat sitting in hampden waiting for a back hander to give the ok. Footballs corrupt at every level, always someone with there hand out for doing nothing

19 minutes ago, skint clint said:

If this game gets moved to Tynie, Bonnyrigg will take in the region of 4/5 thousand. Maybe a bit less at meadowbank. Hearts played at murryfield in Europe and a bit further down south spurs used Wembley to accommodate supporters who want to go to the game. If Bonnyrigg can negotiate with hearts and they agree then where's the problem? Bonnyrigg make money, hibs make money and so does hearts. It's like there's a fat cat sitting in hampden waiting for a back hander to give the ok. Footballs corrupt at every level, always someone with there hand out for doing nothing

Hearts used Murrayfield because Tynecastle's pitch doesn't meet UEFA regulations and Tottenham used Wembley because preliminary work on the redevelopment of White Hart Lane meant that various backroom facilities were out of action and, again, not meeting UEFA standards. As I said before, moving the game to increase the gate sets a worrying precedent that clubs can move games purely on financial grounds.

Hearts used Murrayfield because Tynecastle's pitch doesn't meet UEFA regulations and Tottenham used Wembley because preliminary work on the redevelopment of White Hart Lane meant that various backroom facilities were out of action and, again, not meeting UEFA standards. As I said before, moving the game to increase the gate sets a worrying precedent that clubs can move games purely on financial grounds.

Maybe you could research it for me but was the attendances larger than what tynecastle or white hart lane respectively hold?

Plus what's your problem in a team trying to gain some funds to maybe improve the facilities in the future?

2 hours ago, BumbleBeeBlastie said:

Well aware of that mate  I just find it a sad day you can be in a cup but not have your big day at home 

Fair play mate but it's all about health & safety,just back fae Bonnyrigg game and no further forward as to where the game will be played,hopefully sorted out middle of the week,we're all want Tynie but out of our hands.

1 hour ago, wingnut said:

Fair play mate but it's all about health & safety,just back fae Bonnyrigg game and no further forward as to where the game will be played,hopefully sorted out middle of the week,we're all want Tynie but out of our hands.

Welcome back Wingnut. Is that you just recovered from the great result in midweek!?

Anyway I agree that match should be played at Tynecastle Talk of Keeping game at NDP or playing at Ainslie Park or Meadowbank seem silly to me. A few years ago, Whilehill Welfare got their Scottish Cup tie against Celtic switched to Easter Road. Common sense approach then, so let's hope common sense applies again this time around.

2 hours ago, skint clint said:

Maybe you could research it for me but was the attendances larger than what tynecastle or white hart lane respectively hold?

I'm sure you could google it yourself. My gut feeling says probably yes.

2 hours ago, skint clint said:

Plus what's your problem in a team trying to gain some funds to maybe improve the facilities in the future?

I do feel that a club's home ground should be the first option - if it is suitable. I don't have an issue with clubs changing ground if their own ground isn't adequate for the fixture on heath and safety or policing grounds (although for some clubs, not Bonnyrigg, obviously, this shouldn't be an excuse for not spending on facilities).

If New Dundas Park isn't deemed suitable, then the game should be moved. I am ambivalent about where this should be, Tynecastle or otherwise, but I do think that the SFA's stance is reasonable. I'm sure the Rose will do well financially out of the game, whatever happens.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

A few years back when we drew the deid Rangers in the League Cup we moved the game to East End Park to increase the revenue.

Indeed - 2007. Which caused a stushie within SPL/SFL, IIRC - and hasn't been repeated since, tbf.

Whitehill v Celtic going to ER in 1996 was (IIRC) the last time a Scottish Cup tie was moved until the recent cases with Albion Rovers and East Kilbride.

In the interim the likes of Forres have hosted Rangers... Spartans hosted Livingston + St Mirren on the grass banks of City Park... Linlithgow + Threave hosted Raith...

Deveronvale + Culter have hosted Partick... Huntly hosted Dundee... Cove hosted Ross County... Inverurie hosted Motherwell... Irvine Meadow hosted Livingston.

As I say though - if it can't be played at NDP for safety reasons then Meadowbank or Tynecastle wouldn't bother me.

Archived