Bonnyrigg Rose at home vs Hibernian

thelegendthatis

Bonnyrigg are clearly keen to use Tynecastle for their 'home' tie against Hibs. Hearts are happy to provide the ground and no doubt all the security and infrastructure. I am sure Tynecastle would sell out.

So what do the SFA say?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/bonnyrigg-rose-hoping-sfa-will-grant-their-tynecastle-wish-1-4311711

Spartans for God's sake? Same capacity as at Bonnyrigg, if not less, only totally soulness. A terrible place to watch any game. 

As a main board director of the SFA I would guess Tom Johnstone is doing everything in his power to influence the decision to ensure Bonnyrigg can maximise both their exposure to a wider audience and their income from the Hibs game.

It can also be a significant showcase for junior football.

Come on Tom, pop along the corridor and speak with your chums who can make good things happen for the junior game.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The SFA have been on the phone and they said it would be the ground nearest both teams,” Bonnyrigg secretary Robert Dickson told the Evening News. “I mentioned Tynecastle, which would be the favourable choice for everyone in terms of size, policing, access, car parking and transport. They said one of the options would be Spartans, and I was surprised by that. If it’s going to be Spartans, we’d be as well keeping it at Bonnyrigg because there would be no difference in the crowd. There’s been talk of Livingston as well, but that’s through west and it’s not so convenient."

If it can be played at Bonnyrigg - why is there any talk of moving it? Games have sometimes moved for police or safety reasons (some of which have sounded a bit convenient); but it will be a new precedent if a game can move simply for a bigger crowd to make more money.

SFA permission is needed for qualifiers to play at home from R4 but it's previously been granted to Bo'ness and Linlithgow.

Worth saying that the rules say a dislocated tie should be played at the "nearest members ground of equivalent capacity" which will be where Spartans, Meadowbank etc. originates.

However this has been interpreted fairly liberally at times.

EDIT: Incidentally - "soul-less" or otherwise - Ainslie Park has held 3,200 before which is a bit more than NDP from what I've read.

given Hibs most recent Scottish cup game no one will want a repeat of any of the 'exuberant' scenes from that day!

Bo'ness and linlithgow both hosted smaller sides and are easier able to segregate their grounds. Even if Bonnyrigg could try to keep the hub's fans coming in from Dundas St and on to the grass banking there would be no where to put catering vans or toilet's unless they were driven over the pitch?

28 minutes ago, calmac25 said:

given Hibs most recent Scottish cup game no one will want a repeat of any of the 'exuberant' scenes from that day!

Bo'ness and linlithgow both hosted smaller sides and are easier able to segregate their grounds. Even if Bonnyrigg could try to keep the hub's fans coming in from Dundas St and on to the grass banking there would be no where to put catering vans or toilet's unless they were driven over the pitch?

If a ground capacity can't be kept, and therefore the game can't be played safely at NDP... though I doubt hordes of ticketless Hibs fans would converge on Midlothian... then clearly it will have to be moved somewhere else. That happened with EK v Celtic last season - they wanted to use K-Park but police said no.

However, the Bonnyrigg official quoted says that if SFA said they could move it from NDP but only to somewhere like Spartans, then "we'd be as well keeping it at Bonnyrigg because there would be no difference in the crowd": that's what makes it a more significant decision as historically the SFA haven't let clubs move ties that could be at home, for financial gain.

I understand that precedents have been set beforehand but FFS there is only good in giving Bonnyrigg the chance to earn some extra cash. this is part of what the cup is about.  There is about 0% chance of there being any trouble at this match.

It's been a few years since I've been to Ainslie Park, and I was at Bonnyrigg for our Scottish cup tie last season. Surely there can't be too much difference in capacity if any? 

Hopefully Bonnyrigg get what they want. Would be good to take this game in if Pollok aren't playing/game is called of that weekend.

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

If a ground capacity can't be kept, and therefore the game can't be played safely at NDP... though I doubt hordes of ticketless Hibs fans would converge on Midlothian... then clearly it will have to be moved somewhere else. That happened with EK v Celtic last season - they wanted to use K-Park but police said no.

However, the Bonnyrigg official quoted says that if SFA said they could move it from NDP but only to somewhere like Spartans, then "we'd be as well keeping it at Bonnyrigg because there would be no difference in the crowd": that's what makes it a more significant decision as historically the SFA haven't let clubs move ties that could be at home, for financial gain.

The only significant thing here is that you are shitting it about another defeat at Tynecastle. 

We will play you and beat you anywhere that the SFA see fit.

Why not just read the rules?

they are straightforward:

bonnyrigg first of all start the process by informing the sfa they cannot host the tie.

the sfa board decide on the closest ground of a similar capacity.

the complicating matter here is whether bonnyrigg are subject to the same rules as full sfa members in relation to their ground compliance. If they aren't - and I suspect they aren't - they must respect the fact they are in the competition as invitees.

1 minute ago, BS7 said:

bonnyrigg first of all start the process by informing the sfa they cannot host the tie.

the complicating matter here is whether bonnyrigg are subject to the same rules as full sfa members in relation to their ground compliance. If they aren't - and I suspect they aren't - they must respect the fact they are in the competition as invitees.

What are the ground compliance rules for entering the Scottish Cup?

4 minutes ago, BS7 said:

Jealousy is really strong here. Invitees. 

1 minute ago, Red Rose said:

Jealousy is really strong here. Invitees. 

You've missed the point - I've been watching bonnyrigg for 40 years & and I've read the sfa rules.

the ground compliance is interesting in that whatever the rules are, bonnyrigg weren't subject to them to gain entry to the Scottish cup

5 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

The only significant thing here is that you are shitting it about another defeat at Tynecastle. 

We will play you and beat you anywhere that the SFA see fit.

Bold prediction. Might happen of course, bigger shocks have happened. Incidentally - Hibs last few games at Tynecastle have been wins and draws.

If the game has to be moved then personally I don't see a problem with Tynecastle (or indeed Meadowbank), btw; although obviously the rules should be applied equally to everyone. Certainly more logical than Livingston which is neither anything like nearest nor anything like an equivalent capacity.

However, I do hope every opportunity is made to play the game at NDP - which would probably benefit Bonnyrigg slightly on the pitch - as the Scottish Cup is all about this type of tie.

It's part of the ethos for the professional teams to face tricky ties in unfamiliar venues, and I'd also be concerned about any tendencies creeping in of moving ties for money.

If it's not possible to host it at NDP for safety reasons then fine, and another venue in the city will no doubt suffice. (Unless for sh*ts and giggles they sent you to Rosewell ;)...).

4 minutes ago, BS7 said:

You've missed the point - I've been watching bonnyrigg for 40 years & and I've read the sfa rules.

the ground compliance is interesting in that whatever the rules are, bonnyrigg weren't subject to them to gain entry to the Scottish cup

You've been reading the rules so what are they? I'm pretty sure lowland teams were playing in the same competition this year. It would be odd for all of us to play in a competition with rules we didn't comply to.

Are Albion Rovers not having same issue with Celtic?

There doesn't seem to be same issue with them moving to a larger venue.

Pretty sure common sense will prevail.

Ramming 3000 into  ndp,  is not a sensible option,

Wait a minute did Bonnyrigg not just play a round at home to championship team ???  So kind of odd they aren't allowed this one at home to championship team no matter who it is they are playing give them the home tie. Whatever capacity is and get on with it. We really are the laughing stock of world football how we are run. It's become an embarrassment 

Dumbarton had a travelling support of a couple of hundred. Hibs will be many thousands

How come Albion Rovers can change their game to a bigger venue, but it seems to be a problem for Bonnyrigg?

Archived