18 Team Lowland League?

honestman54

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 17:27, LongTimeLurker said:

http://www.thejuniors.info/2016/06/ek-boss-happy-decision-join-lowland-league-side/

What about the bigger clubs that may have more ambition?

“I think there maybe an overhaul next year in the Lowland League or so I hear, there’s going to be Celtic and Rangers Colts all going into a new regionalised league that’s being worked on just now. “I think the junior teams should look at it, but as I say it maybe a finance thing and you need a backer if you want to go and go the whole way.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 16:25, LongTimeLurker said:

If 6 colt teams moving into the LL helped to facilitate an east-west split to create a format at tier 5 that mirrors the three junior superleagues a lot of the more rational objections to the current "pyramid" would no longer hold any water. Will believe it when I see it though.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 08:42, LongTimeLurker said:

Any full-time club with a 3G pitch at their home ground and a U-20 team already in the Development League could do it easily where the Lowland League is concerned. Emulating Edusport Academy in that regard shouldn't be mission impossible for any of our top flight clubs, if there is no extra expense related to using somebody else's ground.

Edit: I have no idea of where Glenconner is getting the figure of 6 Colt teams from, but clubs have been consulted on this and the 2018-19 timeline has been reported in the media:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/spfl-consider-introducing-colt-teams-into-league-system-1-4473517

Good links to interesting information here, thank you.

I'm in favour of the top level of the regions being a west/north/east split at tier 3 or 4 and including juniors (subject to licencing), but if this regionalisation can only happen through the incorporation of colts-eliding-to-'B'-teams then that's too high a price to pay.  

(As the LL strengthens over time, it would become/is becoming the de facto national league at tier 5; the depth of quality in the LL would act as an automatic mechanism that ensured LL champions would gain promotion ahead of HL champions in the majority of seasons; this would seem to suit both the more 'ambitious' lowlanders, and the more conservative highlanders; the play offs as they are provide a way to include the highlanders in the national set up without everyone having to make the dreaded long journeys.) 

The current arrangement, lopsided as it appears to be, is preferable to any sort of involvement of second teams from larger clubs.

From this information, though, it wouldn't surprise me if colts teams made an appearance at tier 5 shortly before a general restructuring brought the divide into regions at a higher level, giving them a quick 'promotion' to tier 3 or 4.     

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived