18 Team Lowland League?

honestman54

1 minute ago, Glenconner said:

Believe they will be called B teams. Give it a couple of seasons and it will be good old fashioned reserve teams with age out the window.

It was originally Under 19s, thenn Under 20s, then Under 20s with mentors.

Next will be fully fledged colt teams - which can GTF.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would end my interest in watching lowland league if Colts are allowed in.
I've wondered in the past if it would be the same for me but I went to the Bonnyrigg v Heart's under 20's friendly and found it really entertaining until all the substitutions started. Watching a good semi pro side play against full time technically gifted young team was really intriguing and I've no doubt it was a good experience for both teams.

I only applauded the Bonnyrigg goals and couldn't really support a youth team where as my Hibbee wife wanted the Bairn's to do well!

For me it could work but there would need to be a limit of no more than 2 clubs in any league aside from the lowest tier and no overage players.

Bo'ness are proving at the moment that the counter argument of what's wrong with loaning players to lower league teams is flawed as it mostly benefits the big team.

Hibs era of young players 2004-07 and Hearts team 2012-17 weren't as a result of endless development loans as we see now

28 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

...and if so will they be offered an incentive to allow it to happen?

Does a bear defecate in the woods? Right now the LL and HL clubs get zero subsidy from the full-time clubs (euphemistically referred to as prize money) unlike league one and league two. The obvious way to get this sorted is for that to change in some way and then the next step is that at SFA level changes are made to who can play above EoS and SoS level which is the glass ceiling for reserve teams at the moment and ultimately get promoted into the SPFL based on club licensing.

Surely any negotiation would also have automatic promotion on the table. Can't imagine the ambitious clubs in LL and HL would not, at the very least, look to get the winner of their playoff into league 2 without having to beat the bottom team.

If it is to be 6 Colts then I really can't see that happening in the current structure. Perhaps with the LL restructured in to LLE and LLW and if that was to happen the SPFL/SFA really need to address the Junior elephant in the room.

It it was to be a restructure on that basis then 6 colts teams really wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as they started in the bottom tier and had limitations on overage players/ how high they can progress etc.

1 hour ago, edinabear said:

If it is to be 6 Colts then I really can't see that happening in the current structure. Perhaps with the LL restructured in to LLE and LLW and if that was to happen the SPFL/SFA really need to address the Junior elephant in the room.

It it was to be a restructure on that basis then 6 colts teams really wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as they started in the bottom tier and had limitations on overage players/ how high they can progress etc.

The Juniors, with a couple of exceptions, have shown no appetite for the pyramid, so is it really that big an elephant?

55 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

The Juniors, with a couple of exceptions, have shown no appetite for the pyramid, so is it really that big an elephant?

Aye get them in the EoSFL 1st then, surely canny jump over what Kelty have just done. 

Juniors will never join the EoSFL  if that happened..... 

If 6 colt teams moving into the LL helped to facilitate an east-west split to create a format at tier 5 that mirrors the three junior superleagues a lot of the more rational objections to the current "pyramid" would no longer hold any water. Will believe it when I see it though.

16 hours ago, kefc said:

There won't be 6 colts teams going anywhere, the only 2 clubs that are interested and can feasibly run a 2nd team to SPFL standards are Rangers and Celtic.

Any full-time club with a 3G pitch at their home ground and a U-20 team already in the Development League could do it easily where the Lowland League is concerned. Emulating Edusport Academy in that regard shouldn't be mission impossible for any of our top flight clubs, if there is no extra expense related to using somebody else's ground.

Edit: I have no idea of where Glenconner is getting the figure of 6 Colt teams from, but clubs have been consulted on this and the 2018-19 timeline has been reported in the media:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/spfl-consider-introducing-colt-teams-into-league-system-1-4473517

• 3 months later...

Archived