St Mirren vs Raith Rovers

I doubt his reasoning was that he won the ball.. regardless of ref, that would not have been his reasoning.. :lol:

Quinn was unlucky, he cleanly won the ball, but the ref must have thought he came through the back of the Raith lad. It was his first foul though, and nowhere near bad enough for a card. Hilariously though Quinn took out another player minutes later, and the ref didn't even give a foul.

Before Quinn's yellow Stewart put in a really late challenge on Gordon, his second foul of the game. No booking. Then Gordon got his revenge, no idea what the ref was looking at but he never even acknowledged it. It was a definite foul and should have been a booking. Then there was the boy who pulled down Morgan 20 yards from goal. No booking. So I think Quinn can count himself unlucky for being booked for that challenge.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most home teams do it when they're winning (not something we've had much cause to practice of late). Similarly most goalies will take ages over everything if they are winning. And most opposition fans will moan about it (something we've had plenty of practice if this season).

Them's the breaks.

To be fair, Scott Gallacher did put a fresh twist on the time wasting move, by telling the ball boys to throw it away after bringing it over to him. He actually retrieved it, walked it back to the net, then launched it to the corner flag. I thought some Rovers fans were going to have an aneurism at that point.

Anyway, St Mirren were the better team yesterday and deserved the win. Rovers just didn't look like scoring for the umpteenth time this season, and even when Stewart was clean through, I didn't expect him to score, his one-on-one record is just so poor.

Did he and McManus actually pass to one another at any point? They don't work as a tandem at all, and McManus' insistence on standing next to the goalie as he kicks out is completely counter productive, as every time we win a header from the keeper's punt, he's offside and can't get involved in the play. Someone should really point it out to him. Or he can continue to be offside 46 times per game until he retires. Either or I suppose.

As soon as I saw the starting line up, I thought we'd struggle. With Coustrain on the bench our main creative threat would have to come from Johnston, and while he appears able to beat a man, he only seems to achieve it at the half way line, rather than in areas that can actually harm a team.

Still, at least we've got an easy looking festive fixture list of Dundee United, Hibs and Falkirk coming up.

Lastly, what a difference it makes having opposing fans sitting next to each other. It makes for a far better atmosphere. I'm already looking forward to our next 1-0 defeat at the venue in April.

Just saw the highlights.

Can't believe we didn't score in that last half hour. The difference Bobby Barr made was huge.

McManus miss was worse than I remember.

Decent pen shout at the end.

On reflection we probably created enough chances to merit a draw. But its the 60 mins before that which are the real frustration.

29 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Just saw the highlights.

Can't believe we didn't score in that last half hour. The difference Bobby Barr made was huge.

McManus miss was worse than I remember.

Decent pen shout at the end.

On reflection we probably created enough chances to merit a draw. But its the 60 mins before that which are the real frustration.

Admittedly I was half pished being in hospitality yesterday but I don't recall the last half hour being at all one sided.

Gallacher made two very good saves late on including the one on one which I am assuming is the McManus chance you mention.

But aside from that, the last 5 minutes and the approximate 16 minutes of injury time, I don't remember feeling that we were in danger.

If anything we could have put it to bed, forcing a good stop from the Raith keeper from a looping shot and hitting the bar as well.

Didn't think the last half hour was one sided, but we had the chances to score.

We had two or three good balls across goal begging for a decent striker, shot from Barr from outside the box well saved, one on one from Stewart, fresh air swipe from Mcmanus after keeper saved and the pen shout. Don't think was unreasonable to expect one of those to go in.

32 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Didn't think the last half hour was one sided, but we had the chances to score.

We had two or three good balls across goal begging for a decent striker, shot from Barr from outside the box well saved, one on one from Stewart, fresh air swipe from Mcmanus after keeper saved and the pen shout. Don't think was unreasonable to expect one of those to go in.

I thought you pretty much had us under a lot of pressure for the last third of the game.

In saying that McAllister should have tied the game up with the header that hit the bar.

For the penalty shout I thought your player tried to run into Webster to make contact he could have avoided. However, as harsh as it would have been IMO if it had bee awarded, I've seen them given.

I thought you were possibly worth a draw, but given the number of games we should have won/drawn, but didn't due to poor finishing or individual defensive disasters, I'll take yesterday's victory without any qualms at all.

Hopefully that'll be the end of Scott Roberts starting games. Unsurprised that we lost given that we had Matthews at right back and we didn't even play our goal scorer from our last match. Ideally we can start Coustrain and Barr over the next few games and hopefully recover some of our momentum from earlier in the season.

I doubt his reasoning was that he won the ball.. regardless of ref, that would not have been his reasoning.. :lol:

I've not seen the incident again but from where I was sitting, it appeared he won the ball and never a foul or a booking [emoji3]

No real complaints. St Mirren looked hungrier and we disappeared out of the game for at least a 30 minute spell. You just can't afford to do that. Team looks low on confidence at moment, although Bobby Barr brought a wee spark back. We are really missing Jason Thomson at the back and to create going forward. Penalty at end was a decent shout and suspect it probably would have been given if it wasn't the 95th minute. Ref wasn't biased though, just a bit inept. He was very poor for both sides. 

Agree about banter between fans. Sadly missed at most games. 

With Hibs and Utd up next we could find ourselves a bit adrift of the play off spot by time we play the Pars. Think we are still in with a shout though. Hibs, Utd and Falkirk are certainties for top three I reckon, so it's between us, Morton and QOS at minute for fourth. Reckon we have enough to finish above those two especially once the two Barrs and Thomson return. 

Archived