Partick Thistle vs Brendan Rogers' Celtic

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to admire the Celtic fans' irony in singing songs about the IRA and then singing "all Celtic fans against the bill" in less than 2 minutes.

Nonsense.
Dembele makes the team tick.

Admittedly it's a small sample size for Dembele, I've seen Griffiths a lot more.
Dembele was poor in the games v Aberdeen this year, and in the Champions League games I've seen (Man City at home aside).
Griffiths has been unlucky in the timing of his injuries IMO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership/top-scorers

Shows Griffiths at 109 minutes per goal plus 2 assists in 434 minutes while Dembele comes in at 134 minutes per goal and the same number of assists in more than twice as many minutes.

I think Dembele is going to grow into one of the greats of the game but, at the minute, Griffiths is a more effective striker.

Just now, RussellAnderson said:

Admittedly it's a small sample size for Dembele, I've seen Griffiths a lot more.
Dembele was poor in the games v Aberdeen this year, and in the Champions League games I've seen (Man City at home aside).
Griffiths has been unlucky in the timing of his injuries IMO.

Griffiths is infuriating in the way he consistently makes wrong decisions, Dembele is a lot better at bringing players into the game and holding the ball up. I think this is something you tend to only notice about a team when you watch them every week - when Dembele plays he's a lot closer to Rogic, this allows for our wingers to be brought into the game easier.  However, with Griffiths, he's always looking to go over the top which means there's too much space between our attacking players and we lose a lot of fluidity due to this.

3 minutes ago, The DA said:

Shows Griffiths at 109 minutes per goal plus 2 assists in 434 minutes while Dembele comes in at 134 minutes per goal and the same number of assists in more than twice as many minutes.

I think Dembele is going to grow into one of the greats of the game but, at the minute, Griffiths is a more effective striker.

That's not the case though, we're very one dimensional when Griffiths plays and everything tends to go through him. 

Check the stats of other players scoring when Dembeles in the team compared to Griffiths, when Dembele plays we have a lot more goals coming from all over the park.

1 minute ago, The DA said:

Bear in the mind thats only the League.

Overall its..

Leigh Griffiths - 19 games (1,002 minutes ), 9 goals - Goal every 111 minutes

Moussa Dembele - 29 games (2,116 minutes), 17 goals - Goal every 124 minutes

The fact Dembeles record improves when you add in the Champions League, gives you an insight into why hes now first choice. Griffiths isn't much better than being a mobile Kris Boyd.

Griffiths is infuriating in the way he consistently makes wrong decisions, Dembele is a lot better at bringing players into the game and holding the ball up. I think this is something you tend to only notice about a team when you watch them every week - when Dembele plays he's a lot closer to Rogic, this allows for our wingers to be brought into the game easier.  However, with Griffiths, he's always looking to go over the top which means there's too much space between our attacking players and we lose a lot of fluidity due to this.

Fair play. Mabye it's my dark blue tinted specs working as well. If Celtic are going to do well, it's at least comforting to me when they're using Scottish players. Great to see the improvement in Armstrong, would like to see him in Scotland squads in the future.

Just now, Contra said:

That's not the case though, we're very one dimensional when Griffiths plays and everything tends to go through him. 

Check the stats of other players scoring when Dembeles in the team compared to Griffiths, when Dembele plays we have a lot more goals coming from all over the park.

That's a fair shout. Bare stats can be misleading.

You used to be able to check this kind of thing on Opta - 'do team x score more goals when player x is playing or when they aren't?'  I think they charge for that nowadays.

2 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Fair play. Mabye it's my dark blue tinted specs working as well. If Celtic are going to do well, it's at least comforting to me when they're using Scottish players. Great to see the improvement in Armstrong, would like to see him in Scotland squads in the future.

Right on Cue, he's been fantastic these past few weeks.

Archived