Documentary about football

Le Tout P'ti FC

There was an excellent Storyville before about football, specifically about Barcelona. It followed the new president coming in and they were struggling at the time (Rijkaard might have been the manager?) and showed then bringing in players and negotiations with agents etc. The documentary about the lowest ranked team in the World is meant to be fantastic but I've never actually seen it as it's been on Sky and I cancelled that yonks ago.

I have actually seen this already - the producer is a friend of a friend. It's excellent, really enjoyed it. A thoroughly interesting documentary.

I vaguely remember the Barca one - was it focuses around Laporta?

23 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Saw this programme advertised, on BBC4 at 10pm tonight.

I've got high hopes for this. I'm a big fan of the Storyville strand generally, for example the recent one on Anthony Weiner is certainly worth looking up.

Any other football documentaries to be recommended?

7ca100ca122f83f40ff0d0d35d387036.jpg

I'd heard about a Netflix documentary about Beitar, but never got round to watching it. Think this could be the same one. Good find :thumsup2

21 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The documentary about the lowest ranked team in the World is meant to be fantastic but I've never actually seen it as it's been on Sky and I cancelled that yonks ago.

Is this the film you're meaning? https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2014/feb/19/next-goal-wins-trailer-documentary-video

There's also James Montague book about this and he was on the Squawka football podcast last Thursday talking about it amongst other things:  http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/thirty-one-nil-9781408851630/

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

Is this the film you're meaning? https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2014/feb/19/next-goal-wins-trailer-documentary-video

There's also James Montague book about this and he was on the Squawka football podcast last Thursday talking about it amongst other things:  http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/thirty-one-nil-9781408851630/

Aye, that's the one. Cheers. 

I missed the start of this - will watch it back on catch up. It was excellent and I was left wondering how this team could possibly be allowed to compete in the Europa League or any UEFA competition unless the "say no to racism" stuff stops at holding up a red card in the centre circle at games where there is little or no chance of thousands of racist wankers getting together. It reminded me of a lot of the shite we used to hear in Glasgow (and around Scotland) and which is still prevalent among the knuckle dragging fraternity.

Thanks to the OP for spotting this,that was outstanding 

What a shower of c***s,the guy who ended up as captain(kriaf?),what a spunkstain on humanity that is,sleekit wee w**k.as someone said,how come they're allowed to compete in Europe when they're so blatantly racist?their support hate two Chechens yet have no problem with Croatian players(1st part of Hitler's Reich to declare itself jew-free after being very proactive in exterminating them&t he Croatian church was a very key player in assisting nazi war criminals escape at the end of the war.).

Think sadeyev got himself deliberately sent off in the last game.pretty nasty how the owner mixed it then just walked away,leaving the chairman &goalie to the wolves.wonder if the 2 Chechen lads were told how it was going to be.the young defender especially was really in a bad place,sadeyev seemed much stronger&able to handle it.was that lech Poznan he was playing for ?

I was thinking (wrongly as it happens) that the documentary mentioned by Salvo about the world's lowest ranked teams may have been the 'alternative world cup final' that was played between Maldives and another nation (possibly Timor Leste).

Not sure if it was 'Storyville' but I am pretty sure there was some kind of film made about that too.

I'd recommend 'Trainer!', a German football documentary you can get on Netflix. Follows some young German coaches and also has footage from Klopp and the Germany teacher program for coaches. 

Next Goal Wins, mentioned earlier, is an outstanding documentary. I think the directors stumbled on this unbelievable story unfolding and timed it perfectly.

Watched this on iPlayer this afternoon. It actually makes the old firm fans not look so bad!! Never thought I would say that. It was rotten on the young player getting slapped from a fan in the stadium. The 2 players had some bottle to sign for them though or fukin stupid

58 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Watched this on iPlayer this afternoon. It actually makes the old firm fans not look so bad!! Never thought I would say that. It was rotten on the young player getting slapped from a fan in the stadium. The 2 players had some bottle to sign for them though or fukin stupid

forgot about that bit.how shameful for the referee to red card him too.

I suspect these guys thought they were getting a great opportunity and had no idea what they were walking into

Watched this earlier today and what a horrible club Beitar are. Singing a song about being the most racist club in the country and then pretty much the whole support boycotting the games was some shocking stuff.

I'd recommend 'Trainer!', a German football documentary you can get on Netflix. Follows some young German coaches and also has footage from Klopp and the Germany teacher program for coaches. 

Next Goal Wins, mentioned earlier, is an outstanding documentary. I think the directors stumbled on this unbelievable story unfolding and timed it perfectly.

I've just finished watching 'Trainer!' because of this post, and I would also recommend it.

Archived