Kris Boyd & Jamie Fullarton

2 hours ago, RiG said:

the well trodden road of rimming the OF like The Sun and Record do (for obvious reason I guess). 

There's a difference between giving the big teams more coverage to increase sales and what goes on here though. They are continually damaging the game. They are effectively Old Firm fanzines, written by Old Firm supporter, with their Old Firm mindset, purely for other Old Firm supporters. Football wise, Scotland doesn't really have a genuine, main stream media as such. 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listened to that dismal interview with that self-important, bitter nobody Fullarton and read those inane diatribes by Boyd and Grieve. A true confederacy of dunces. What they revealed about the mentality of Scottish footballers and the prevailing collective mindset within the corridors of Scottish football, is profoundly depressing, though hardly surprising. To say Scottish football is stuck in the dark ages would be to do a disservice to the dark ages. At least they came before the Renaissance. Anyone expecting a renaissance in Scottish football is in for a very long wait...

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This piece is written for an audience of Newcastle Fans

http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/12/journeyman-kris-boyd-go-la-ligapremier-leagues-ian-cathro-laughable-newcastle-united-hearts/

"Now many of you are probably wondering, just who is Kris Boyd?

Well, he is a journeyman striker who has scored goals in Scotland."

Good piece. It does also help show the damage that Neilson's move has done to the already greatly tarnished image of Scottish football.

Slightly off topic but the Newcastle fan who wrote the online fanzine article kinda ruined his own point by repeating the myth that Arsene Wenger didn't play topflight football,he retired early through injury but played for Strasbourg and won the league with them in the early 80's,he haw to do with Scottish fitbaw I know but it's an often repeated that annoys me.

36 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've often thought that footballers seem to be treated like children, Boyd and Ferguson having to be banned from eating junk food is a good example, the whole thing of 'drink bans' and curfews as well.  If you don't have the savvy not to drink while preparing for a game then you are an idiot not an athlete.

116aa0300b12f3c4fcee7822912f0befe5e45195

2 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Just listened to that dismal interview with that self-important, bitter nobody Fullarton and read those inane diatribes by Boyd and Grieve. A true confederacy of dunces. What they revealed about the mentality of Scottish footballers and the prevailing collective mindset within the corridors of Scottish football, is profoundly depressing, though hardly surprising. To say Scottish foootbal is stuck in the dark ages would be to do a disservice to the dark ages. At least they came before the Renaissance. Anyone expecting a renaissance in Scottish football is in for a very long wait...

Yon Rene Sance c**t'll be get the same treatment as that Le Guen twat. Nay kebabs fur dinner? f**k that.

17 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

There's a difference between giving the big teams more coverage to increase sales and what goes on here though. They are continually damaging the game. They are effectively Old Firm fanzines, written by Old Firm supporter, with their Old Firm mindset, purely for other Old Firm supporters. Football wise, Scotland doesn't really have a genuine, main stream media as such. 

Shock horror - newspapers don't exist to provide fair impartial coverage of events. The exist to sell newspapers or, more specifically, to sell advertising in those newspapers. They do this by identifying a target audience and feeding that audience what they want. While the big tabloids are the most blatant examples the same business strategy applies to all newspapers. Here in the North East, the local Press & Journal's sports coverage is perhaps less blatant but still like an unofficial Aberdeen fanzine.

The Scottish Sun can employ as many gormless morons to write puff pieces as it wants: it is a newspaper for cretins after all. I'd like to know why BBC Scotland is giving airtime to absolutely hopeless, bitter jobbers like Fullarton, who offer nothing to the supposedly premium Scottish football program provided by a public service broadcaster. 

8 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

The Scottish Sun can employ as many gormless morons to write puff pieces as it wants: it is a newspaper for cretins after all. I'd like to know why BBC Scotland is giving airtime to absolutely hopeless, bitter jobbers like Fullarton, who offer nothing to the supposedly premium Scottish football program provided by a public service broadcaster. 

I suppose if they have Fullarton on it's less airtime for Chic Young to continue his one man campaign to get Morton's manager named Scotland boss.

13 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Shock horror - newspapers don't exist to provide fair impartial coverage of events. The exist to sell newspapers or, more specifically, to sell advertising in those newspapers. They do this by identifying a target audience and feeding that audience what they want. While the big tabloids are the most blatant examples the same business strategy applies to all newspapers. Here in the North East, the local Press & Journal's sports coverage is perhaps less blatant but still like an unofficial Aberdeen fanzine.

This is probably a bit of a bite but do you know the difference between a regional and national newspaper..?

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Ewan Murray takes aim at the dinosaurs in the Grauniad

No doubt he'll be written off as a bitter no mark who writes for posh c***ts in a paper that not many read. In many ways his article is the flip side of the coin to the ones he slates, but there are a couple of memorably painful lines in there.

It's rare seeing Ewan Murray being right about Scottish football, but he is this time. Still an absolute fanny who only covers Scottish football when there's no pishy golf on and the Guardian needs someone to comment on whatever shambolic goings on in Scottish football that week, but he's still more insightful than the clowns who write about it every day.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Ewan Murray takes aim at the dinosaurs in the Grauniad

No doubt he'll be written off as a bitter no mark who writes for posh c***ts in a paper that not many read. In many ways his article is the flip side of the coin to the ones he slates, but there are a couple of memorably painful lines in there.

Key quote: "The same language wasn’t used when it emerged Rangers held talks with Cathro in 2015, just as when the Ibrox club’s former managers and current chairman speak of a need for over-investment, thereby ignoring the sins of the past, this is merely accepted at face value."

The stuff about Malky Mackay is spot-on as well.

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Because Jamie has mates and wants a bit of publicity to get a football coaching/management gig. It's Scotland and unfortunately nepotism runs riot here, as we've all noticed with football. I mean, who in their right mind would have decided a few years back that Derek Ferguson was the best candidate for a radio gig?

Deek's a better radio punidt than he ever was a manager. I actually quite like the guy's passion for the game and his boyish enthusiasm at being sent to Dumbarton-Alloa or some such: he gets as excited as if it were the Chamipns League final. Not the most articulate, sure, but I warm to his obvious passion for the game.

I'll be surprised if Fullarton gets a coaching gig anywhere significant. His bitter and unnecessarily personal comments about Cathro won't have gone down well, and his absolutely disastrous spell at Notts County last season won't have gone un-noticed either.

Maybe he'll be one of these ex-pros scouting opposition for pin money and a favour in the bank: the stands of most grounds have at least a couple of these guys in on a comp on a Saturday. Really can't see him amounting to much more than that in footballing terms.

2 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Deek's a better radio punidt than he ever was a manager. I actually quite like the guy's passion for the game and his boyish enthusiasm at being sent to Dumbarton-Alloa or some such: he gets as excited as if it were the Chamipns League final. Not the most articulate, sure, but I warm to his obvious passion for the game.

I'll be surprised if Fullarton gets a coaching gig anywhere significant. His bitter and unnecessarily personal comments about Cathro won't have gone down well, and his absolutely disastrous spell at Notts County last season won't have gone un-noticed either.

Maybe he'll be one of these ex-pros scouting opposition for pin money and a favour in the bank: the stands of most grounds have at least a couple of these guys in on a comp on a Saturday. Really can't see him amounting to much more than that in footballing terms.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him as an assistant somewhere, he clearly has mates in the game and in the media because his CV by itself is pish.

I don't think Derek Ferguson is by any means by bad guy, but the reaction on here when he started on Sportsound could probably be described as incredulity. 

I didn't have any problems with Fullarton's views.  He was articulate and frank based upon both his experiences and information given to him by sources he trusts.  Tom English saying a mystery source "has just texted me to say something different" doesn't really hold any more weight with me than Fullarton's sources.  I'm happy that he chose to be honest rather than just sitting on the fence.

Rightly or wrongly I found his views on dressing room mentalities to be completely plausible.

I do think Cathro is a brave appointment but like many others here I wish him no ill and hope that, to some degree he can break the mould of managers/coaches in Scottish professional football.

Kris Boyd's comments were lazy which is consistent.  He also has history which in itself supports the sorts of problems managers/coaches can and do face.

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see him as an assistant somewhere, he clearly has mates in the game and in the media because his CV by itself is pish.

I don't think Derek Ferguson is by any means by bad guy, but the reaction on here when he started on Sportsound could probably be described as incredulity. 

I think I was probably part of that incredulity at the time. He's worked out much better than I thought he would, in fairness.

1 hour ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

My reaction WHENEVER I hear Derek Ferguson on Sportsound could probably be described as incredulity (tinged with sadness).

Archived