Kris Boyd & Jamie Fullarton

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me a coach is a teacher and just because you were a good footballer it does not mean you will be a good teacher.

Also, for example, a good teacher does not have to have taken part in the first world war to teach his pupils about it and so it goes with football. The coach is the teacher and the players are the pupils.

Some of the stuff that Fullarton and Boyd said about Cathro holds some merit. By all accounts he is supposed to be a very awkward and at times difficult character. I don't think, however, that his personality will matter as much as the likes of those two are saying though. It's clear he's incredibly gifted, this will be his chance to make the step-up, if he fails, it'll have certainly still been a deserving appointment and is much better than the lazy jobs for the boys appointments we see time and time again.

27 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

What's your point?

Being valued by a good manager doesn't necessarily mean the assistant manager will be as good themselves. 

Boyd and Fullarton are just using this as an excuse to reinforce the jobs for the boys mindset in Scottish football to reduce competition for jobs. Boyd's article is awful.

However, I do think there is a debate to be had over the way that clubs appoint managers and the mindset behind it. I have always found it weird how clubs don't seem to value managerial experience when looking for a manager. And how fans applaud a 'gamble' of an appointment. Obviously any appointment is a gamble to some extent, but you can limit how much of a gamble it is by actually appointing a manager with a track record and experience, not someone who has literally never done the job before, like Cathro. Particularly when you are one of the biggest clubs in the country and can afford to have your pick of 100s of managers. In every other walk of life people build up a bank of experience and grow their skill set at lower levels and make their mistakes there, get better at the job they are doing and then get promotions. In football it seems people with no/little experience of the job they are going to take on just get shoved in right at the top because they were good at kicking a ball (Cathro is obviously different  in this respect, which explains the sudden shock of the likes of Boyd and Fullarton at an inexperienced guy getting a job when usually it wouldn't be an issue for them..). You shouldn't have a manager going in to a club like Hearts with doubts over man-management experience, the candidates should be able to point to evidence that they have good man-management skills, if they don't have that evidence then to me that means that are under-qualified and you are taking a needless risk.

I think it stems from a mindset amongst fans that there are just good managers and bad managers, and therefore any manager who has had a poor spell in their career are cast as a bad manager for ever more and don't wont them appointed. Rather than viewing management as a skill which people develop and get better at, and where making mistakes is the way you learn and develop. Look at Jim Duffy as an example of this, when he was appointed at Morton fans of his previous clubs ridiculed him and Morton fans were raging, but then look how well he has done there. Ian McCall at Ayr is another example, couldn't get a job but eventually when a club didn't look for a trendy appointment and noticed that he was actually someone with a track record and a huge bank of experience they were rewarded.

Cathro may well do well, and as I said the criticism because he didn't play the game is ridiculous, that shouldn't come into it. But I guess my point is that to be a candidate for a job like the Hearts job you should already have a managerial CV proving that it has not held you back. Cathro has an impressive CV, but not in managing a team, I think Hearts may have neen seduced a bit by that.

I hope he does well though as I think it's important to break the 'he's never played the game' nonsense, which you would think the likes of Mourinho may have busted..

30 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Boyd and Fullarton are just using this as an excuse to reinforce the jobs for the boys mindset in Scottish football to reduce competition for jobs. Boyd's article is awful.

However, I do think there is a debate to be had over the way that clubs appoint managers and the mindset behind it. I have always found it weird how clubs don't seem to value managerial experience when looking for a manager. And how fans applaud a 'gamble' of an appointment. Obviously any appointment is a gamble to some extent, but you can limit how much of a gamble it is by actually appointing a manager with a track record and experience, not someone who has literally never done the job before, like Cathro. Particularly when you are one of the biggest clubs in the country and can afford to have your pick of 100s of managers. In every other walk of life people build up a bank of experience and grow their skill set at lower levels and make their mistakes there, get better at the job they are doing and then get promotions. In football it seems people with no/little experience of the job they are going to take on just get shoved in right at the top because they were good at kicking a ball (Cathro is obviously different  in this respect, which explains the sudden shock of the likes of Boyd and Fullarton at an inexperienced guy getting a job when usually it wouldn't be an issue for them..). You shouldn't have a manager going in to a club like Hearts with doubts over man-management experience, the candidates should be able to point to evidence that they have good man-management skills, if they don't have that evidence then to me that means that are under-qualified and you are taking a needless risk.

I think it stems from a mindset amongst fans that there are just good managers and bad managers, and therefore any manager who has had a poor spell in their career are cast as a bad manager for ever more and don't wont them appointed. Rather than viewing management as a skill which people develop and get better at, and where making mistakes is the way you learn and develop. Look at Jim Duffy as an example of this, when he was appointed at Morton fans of his previous clubs ridiculed him and Morton fans were raging, but then look how well he has done there. Ian McCall at Ayr is another example, couldn't get a job but eventually when a club didn't look for a trendy appointment and noticed that he was actually someone with a track record and a huge bank of experience they were rewarded.

Cathro may well do well, and as I said the criticism because he didn't play the game is ridiculous, that shouldn't come into it. But I guess my point is that to be a candidate for a job like the Hearts job you should already have a managerial CV proving that it has not held you back. Cathro has an impressive CV, but not in managing a team, I think Hearts may have been seduced a bit by that.

I hope he does well though as I think it's important to break the 'he's never played the game' nonsense, which you would think the likes of Mourinho may have busted..

You can bet your boots Hearts haven't been seduced by his CV, Levein will know exactly whet he's getting with Cathro, I'm actually quite intrigued to see if Hearts are developing a different model for Director of Football and 1st team coach from what we're used to in the UK.

18 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

You can bet your boots Hearts haven't been seduced by his CV, Levein will know exactly whet he's getting with Cathro, I'm actually quite intrigued to see if Hearts are developing a different model for Director of Football and 1st team coach from what we're used to in the UK.

When Levein came in he said the job of the Director of Football was to develop the coaches and the job of the coaches was to develop the players.

The coaches will stay for a few years then move on because they have been successful and are wanted elsewhere or because they have not been good enough and the club want to bring in someone else.

As has been pointed out, Cathro has more experience than Nielson did when he was appointed.

That article by Boyd is a joke. As someone said, its like the guy who was coolest kid in school finding out one of the quiet kids he took the piss out of is his new boss at work.

There's a prejudice against education,against learning, in a wayagainstprogress in Scottish football. We look back at the days when Scottish teams were among the best in Europe as though it's a blueprint for how to organise football but we need to move past that. Just look at that recent documentary series about Scottishfootball, feeding the myths about shipyards and coal mines creating topclass footballers.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

who ever gets the hearts managers job and if it goes wrong the finger will be pointing at Craig levein not the football coach.

The unmerited abuse Neilson took from some sections of Hearts fans would suggest you're talking nonsense. 

I had to go away and look up who Jamie Fullarton was. Presumably he's got some mates in Radio Scotland and needs the dough? Otherwise why else could he suddenly be popping up all the time. It's like when Darren Jackson suddenly appeared out of nowhere, only to start featuring in every second bit of output.

Agree entirely with the comments about a culture in the Scottish game - and most definitely the Scottish football media - which is anti-intellectual, anti-educational, even anti-technical. Celtic prepare "dossiers" for each player on their opposite number but half of them don't read it... chortle chortle!! Club X (I can't remember) prepare closed season dietary advice for their players but none of them believe it... guffaw!!

Incidentally how many games did Jose Mourinho, Gerard Houlier, Andre Villas-Boas and even... this would probably blow Kris Boyd's tiny mind... Bill Struth play at professional level?

To be fair to Kris Boyd, the chance that he actually authored that article is slim.

I imagine the conversation going like:

sunhack: you know Ian cathro?

kb:aye

was he quiet and geeky?

aye.

would he like fifa 17?

hurhur hur. Aye

will he be a good manager?

naw. Can I get my 50 pound now?

I hope boydie's right though. Can't be doing with Hearts being good.

That Boyd article reeks of jealousy and bitterness. It comes across as though Boyd resents the fact that Cathro probably outperformed him during the training course they done together, and dislikes the fact that he didn't join the lads for a pint after school was finished.

Listened to that Fullarton interview. Still none the wiser about who he actually is.  

Honestly though, I really canny believe he's on national radio slating Cathro's social skills because he met him at a football tournament 8 years ago. 

The fact is Cathro has already achieved more in his coaching career than Boyd and Fullarton will ever do, put together. 

I agree wholeheartedly with the general consensus that Boyd is a cretin and that Fullarton is bitter about his managerial failure.

However, their attitude towards Cathro is probably indicative of that of a high proportion of Scottish footballers, which, if mirrored in the hearts dressing room, will represent a big challenge for Cathro. It wouldn't be his ability to communicate with players I would worry about, but their ability to accept and listen to him. If they share Boyds attitude he could have the best interpersonal skills in the world but an unwillingness by the players to accept him will be very difficult to overcome.

Archived