Scottish Government Tax Raising Powers

Granny Danger

Just now, strichener said:

The Scottish government have set it for the duration of the freeze.  In future they won't be setting it but they will be restricting the level that the councils can set it to.  They are also going to be taking money raised through CT and using it for centralised expenditure.  It's like they don't want to use the tax raising powers that they are getting and would rather raise the money through a mechanism that will see people putting the blame for the increased bills on their local council.

The freeze wasn't imposed by the Scottish Government, it was an agreement.  The rest of your post is just SNPBad.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you want Tory austerity, but you want, as a Scot, to pay more to alleviate Tory austerity? That seems odd. Perhaps you can explain how you both want Westminster austerity but want to pay extra not to have Westminster austerity.

Is there anything that goes on in Scotland that you don't think is the responsibility of Westminster ? Actually now i think about it the Scottish Gov is paying out to alleviate the bedroom tax which i agree with and that is "paying more to alleviate Tory austerity " is it not.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

The freeze wasn't imposed by the Scottish Government, it was an agreement.  The rest of your post is just SNPBad.

The SNP went into the election in 2011 promising a council tax freeze.  This was a manifesto commitment and not an agreement backed by the Councils, this freeze was then implemented by threatening to withdraw central government funding where councils did not freeze the Council Tax.  The briefing note to Parliament was quite clear:

The Government proposed to end the Council Tax Freeze in 2017.

During the Council Tax freeze, the Government threatened to withhold a council’s share of the additional £70m per year allocated to compensate councils.

Even the manifest for 2016 stated "We have frozen the Council Tax".

Instead of banding about bland rhetoric like "SNPBad", give me an alternative reason why the SNP are using locally raised money to finance centralised spending.  It is bad enough that Council Tax is not being scrapped but to use a local tax that you previously campaigned to scrap to further your centralisation is hypocritical at best.

1 hour ago, Loondave1 said:

Is there anything that goes on in Scotland that you don't think is the responsibility of Westminster ? Actually now i think about it the Scottish Gov is paying out to alleviate the bedroom tax which i agree with and that is "paying more to alleviate Tory austerity " is it not.

Yes - devolved issues. Of which the austerity programme imposed by the sovereign government is not part. It might help if you looked up how UK is organised, financed and run. I realise that might ruin your (pretty odd) view of Westminster as a benevolent safety net, but I think you'll learn that as the sovereign body it controls the purse strings.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 17:28, strichener said:

The SNP went into the election in 2011 promising a council tax freeze.  This was a manifesto commitment and not an agreement backed by the Councils, this freeze was then implemented by threatening to withdraw central government funding where councils did not freeze the Council Tax.  The briefing note to Parliament was quite clear:

Even the manifest for 2016 stated "We have frozen the Council Tax".

With the agreement of the councils, yes. Why would a council get the extra funding if they raised their council taxes?   That makes no sense.

Did Westminster every give a guarantee that any additional tax raised in Scotland through changes in income tax would not be met with a reduction in the block grant? 

I seem to remember that questions were raised during the passage of the SA 2016, but the government was evasive to the point of suspicion.  Based on the duplicity of the tories over the protection of the permanence of Holyrood that has just been exposed, I'd take nothing for granted.

There's nothing they can do with these powers do some reading they were designed to be unusable and described as a blunt instrument by the ifs and a trap for the snp by the Scottish secretary.   Unlikely to be used at all.

1b0ff415b43bd65cb4673efeb7229a88.jpgAye really? I am surprised..

27 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

There's nothing they can do with these powers do some reading they were designed to be unusable and described as a blunt instrument by the ifs and a trap for the snp by the Scottish secretary.   Unlikely to be used at all.

No! The UK government would never do anything like that. Our benevolent masters love us, and besides, they have to keep us sweet because without Scotland's votes they'd um ... still rule Scotland anyway (which is right and proper).

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Just typically treating Scotland with utter contempt,  corporation tax, vat,  inheritance tax capital gains tax and business rates are what you need control of to grow your economy,  they deliberately gave us none of these.

:unsure:

Still not going to stop the only show in town romping every election in the foreseeable future though, is it?

Big fish stuck in a wee pond though.Already holding the Scottish electorate in contempt boasting of "romps" for the foreseeable future.Sound familiar where could it go wrong..

Bump.  I'm a wee bit disappointed with the P&B response.  Lots of opinionated folk on here but very few willing to actually say what they want the Scottish Government to actually do.

Don't hold your breath GD, it seems the SG are undecided themselves. Don't expect any wholesale changes.

25 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Big fish stuck in a wee pond though.Already holding the Scottish electorate in contempt boasting of "romps" for the foreseeable future.Sound familiar where could it go wrong..

You're a Labour man, one area where I will certainly bow to your superior experience is in 'where it could go wrong'.

That's the SNP for you: dangerous radical republicans who want to break up Great Britain whilst at the same time being timid softies who must be pilloried for not making sweeping changes.

Their evil ability to be both these terrible, opposite things at the same time really proves that Scotland should not be a normal nation.

Archived