Days between home games

NorthernLights

We haven't played a home game since the 29th of October and our next one isn't until 10th of December.  In the middle of the season we'll have gone 42 days without playing at Pittodrie.  I was curious if any team has gone longer then that between home games during a season.   

There will be definitely be a few that beat that in the lower leagues from postponments.

In the 10/11 season when our surface was still grass we had a home game on the 6th November with the next one not being till the 5th February. Indeed that year we had no games at all from the 13th November to the 15th January. :lol:

Brechin City in 2013

19 February - Brechin 2-1 Ayr United (Glebe Park, Brechin)

23 March - Brechin 2-1 Ayr United (Station Park, Forfar)

2 April - Brechin 6 - 0 East Fife (Glebe Park, Brechin)

41 days. 

You would be hard pushed to better 38 days without postponements, although back in the early years of league football when clubs arranged their own games they might have ended up with a lot of away games in a row, perhaps at the end of the season.

Some of the clubs with statistical histories will have a 'H/A' column so when I get a chance I'll have a skim and see if anything particularly startling jumps out.

1962/63 season a lot of clubs would have had long spells between games Hearts drew 2-2 with Dundee United on 15 December then didn't play at Tynecastle again until 13 March when they beat Falkirk 5-0. In between they played only 2 Scottish Cup ties and 1 League game.

We had a 35 day gap earlier this season; four Saturdays in a row without a home game. Two away league games, one Scotland weekend, one Scottish cup away game. Not quite 38 days, but completely ridiculous nonetheless. 

In 1947 East Fife beat Ayr United in a sectional League Cup game at home on the 13th of September. A sequence of 8 consecutive games away from Bayview followed, including 4  league fixtures, a League Cup quarter final win at Tynecastle, a League Cup semi final win v Aberdeen at Dens Park, a League Cup final draw against Falkirk followed by a win in the replay - both games played at Hampden. We faced Albion Rovers at Bayview on the 15th November.

A 63 day gap...

That's quite remarkable - over 2 months without a home game.

You must presume the cup Sfs and Final happened to fall on weekends when you were due to be at home? Even then it would be unusual, even in the days before floodlights, for at least some of those games not to be rearranged midweek. There do not appear to even have been any local cup-ties in the Fife Cup, Penman Cup or similar either dotted about on Mondays. I'd think this would be due the midweek football ban which, IIRC, still operated in 1947 due to the factory output crisis and coal shortages. Indeed at the end of the season you had to play Sat-Wed Sat-Wed Fri-Sat-Mon-Wed Sat-Wed-Thu Sat Fri-Mon across various competitions to get finished.

We went a bloody long time last season.

By moving our scheduled Boxing Day clash to October and then getting drawn away and eliminated first go in the Cup, I think we went around six weeks.  Even when we did eventually get a game, I think we had to wait a further three weeks for the next one.

• 5 months later...

In 2010/11 we apparently went from the 6th of November (5-1 win over Stirling) until 12th of February (4-0 loss to Dunfermline) without a home match.  98 days.

• 1 month later...

Longest I can find for Morton is in 1957. We played Stirling Albion at home on 19th January then played six away games (including a 7-0 win at Tannadice) before meeting Clyde at home on the 16th March - 54 days.

We later had to cram in six games - the first five of them all at home - into April. 

• 3 weeks later...

Fort William played Nairn County at home on August 31st 2013 and didn't play at home again until November 9th, when they lost to Inverurie Loco Works.

Technically, Cove Rangers haven't played a 'home' game since Saturday, April 18th, 2014. 

Archived