Nicknames/colloquialisms for Scottish towns

Torpar

1 hour ago, Kennboy1978 said:

When I worked in Linlithgow, the locals called it Lithgae. The fact that Borrowstounness is shortened to Bo'ness has for some reason always fascinated me.

Having lived in, or had friends in, Bo'ness, Linlithgow and Uddingston, we shortened them to Bones, Lingo and Udders. 

Stay cool kids. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Having lived in, or had friends in, Bo'ness, Linlithgow and Uddingston, we shortened them to Bones, Lingo and Udders. 

Stay cool kids. 

Where do you work? And is there a contact number for your department?

Not very original but The Pans for Prestonpans and Nitten for Newtongrange. 

My dad was from Fife- he said that Strathmiglo was locally called "Stra-miggly" and Buckhaven "Buckhyne".

Friockheim in Angus is pronounced as "Freek heem" rather than what you might expect. 

Kirkcaldy's Dunnikier Estate was also known locally as Spam Valley- basically to afford a house there you had to survive by living on Spam for the rest of your life. 

Arbroath was once known as Aberbrothick after the Brothick Burn that flows through the town. 

Myself, I call Haddington "Had-ying-tong" just because I like the sound of it but it's not caught on yet...

Not very original but The Pans for Prestonpans and Nitten for Newtongrange. 

My dad was from Fife- he said that Strathmiglo was locally called "Stra-miggly" and Buckhaven "Buckhyne".

Friockheim in Angus is pronounced as "Freek heem" rather than what you might expect. 

Always thought it was pronounced Freechum.

8 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Since I was at school, Bishopbriggs' nickname has been "spam valley".

There's a few spam valleys out there , back in the 70s and early 80s when I said I came from Denniston, people would say, "oh, spam valley"....eh no it was a Fukin slum then!

Near Dumfries we have Ecclefechan known as " the fechan " Sometimes at the weekend if the Carlisle boys came up there would be fechtin at the fechan

Dalbeattie pronounced Dabaty, Castle Douglas was just CD

Near Ayr  Drongan was Drungin   Tarbolton was Tarbowtin

Archived