Jingoistic Tokenism

The_Kincardine

So it's been quite a day for the jingoistic tub-thumpers.

1. The Indian supreme court have decrees that cinemas must play their national anthem at the start of a screening: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-38155630

2. Donald Trump is proposing that flag-burners are sent to chokey: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/29/politics/donald-trump-flag-burning-penalty-proposal/

3. St Andrew's day is a bank holiday?  OK so this didn't happen just this week but I only just found out about it over on the quiz thread.

Anyway, there's seemingly a trend towards empty-gesture, saber-rattling.  Next thing you'll know there will be calls for a National Day like the upstart, johnny-come-lately countries such as France, Germany, Sweden and The US have.

So what are the worst examples of nationalistic tokenism?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Numbers 1 and 2 are shite but the more Bank Holidays the better as far as I'm concerned.

Although if you have one for St Andrews we should get one some time. Not St George's Day though as there are already loads of Bank Holidays around April.

Halloween would be alright. We need an Autumn/Winter day off.

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Numbers 1 and 2 are shite but the more Bank Holidays the better as far as I'm concerned.

Although if you have one for St Andrews we should get one some time. Not St George's Day though as there are already loads of Bank Holidays around April.

Halloween would be alright. We need an Autumn/Winter day off.

Well in the spirit of jingoism then it has to be Nov 5th, Shirley?

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The St Andrews day holiday is shite, it was taken from holiday entitlement so instead of being able to choose a day off at your own leisure, you're forced to sit in the house on a Wednesday at the arse end of November.

(I don't know why I'm complaining - I'm at work).

The St Andrews day holiday is shite, it was taken from holiday entitlement so instead of being able to choose a day off at your own leisure, you're forced to sit in the house on a Wednesday at the arse end of November.

(I don't know why I'm complaining - I'm at work).

Is that the case across the board? Seems a bit unfair.

My idea is that Bank Holidays should be in addition to your Annual Leave, not instead of it.

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Be thankful you don't live in Czech Republic. Apparently they get their national holidays on whatever day it falls. If it falls on a weekend, tough titties. Nae extra day off for you. 

This is true, too, in Sweden.

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Be thankful you don't live in Czech Republic. Apparently they get their national holidays on whatever day it falls. If it falls on a weekend, tough titties. Nae extra day off for you. 

The Swiss have it sorted. Every Kanton seems to have it's own local holidays, though trying to work them all out is a nightmare for HR teams here. Company I work for doesn't give us the days off for Kanton Zug, but we do get a days holiday entitlement instead.

22 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Is that the case across the board? Seems a bit unfair.

My idea is that Bank Holidays should be in addition to your Annual Leave, not instead of it.

IIRC - when the Scottish Government passed the 'St Andrews Day Holiday Act' (or whatever it was called), they said that it was not an additional holiday - but could be taken in lieu of certain other public holidays? In the public sector for example some councils don't observe it at all... some took it on Monday, and some took it today, instead of another day (perhaps Good Friday or Late May)... some tell staff they can take it but only out of their holiday entitlements. In the Borders a couple of years ago they were one of the few authorities taking it, and this year it was a holiday on Monday and a normal day today.

I suppose the idea of having holidays on Mondays not floating during the week is so people can get long weekends.

12 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Makes you proud to be British really. 

Though why do bank holidays always have to be on a Monday? It was a godsend at uni cos my tutorial days were usually on a Monday and simply got cancelled. Might explain why I bombed out of uni though!

Allowing for the variations of St Andrews Day as mentioned above the only Monday holidays are Late May and August? May Day too, I suppose, if you consider it as May 1st and not "the first Monday in May".

Archived