Elgin City v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

afca32

On 19/01/2017 at 20:55, ICTChris said:

Shane's finest moment for us was this match, where he scored one and set up another when we beat Celtic 3-2, a win that effectively cost them the league.

The highlights don't show it but he gave Izaguirre a monstering that day.  Sadly he didn't build really build on it and had two relatively uneventful seasons after that.

Happy days, what cracking goals too.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed we didn't get near our best going forward but proud of the players who battled hard. Caley Thistle relied on long balls to Doumbouya and we struggled after Twiggy went off. Can't believe I had to break up scraps by calling those involved children. Shame on all involved.

Scrappy game, with some scraps after the game at the underpass next to Aldi between the young teams - really embarrassing attempts at fighting, similar to those Falkirk neds a few months back :lol:

The usual suspects were costing ICT for the Elgin goal... namely Vigurs losing the ball and conceding the foul. OFW then making a horrible attempt at stopping a tame effort (although the various inclines in the 6 yard box were crazy). 

ICT had a fair few chances to score in the second half, with Doumbouya missing an open goal. Anier looked good when he came on - did more than Boden did in a fraction of the time. 

30 minutes ago, RossP said:

Scrappy game, with some scraps after the game at the underpass next to Aldi between the young teams - really embarrassing attempts at fighting, similar to those Falkirk neds a few months back :lol:

The usual suspects were costing ICT for the Elgin goal... namely Vigurs losing the ball and conceding the foul. OFW then making a horrible attempt at stopping a tame effort (although the various inclines in the 6 yard box were crazy). 

ICT had a fair few chances to score in the second half, with Doumbouya missing an open goal. Anier looked good when he came on - did more than Boden did in a fraction of the time. 

All without Draper and Meekings and having to play 3 at the back as we only had 3 defenders :lol:. Dominated the possession and the corners, attempts at goal etc, hit the woodwork a couple of times, a fairly satisfactory day's work when the media were looking at us for their potential shock which turned out to be the Dees. We still don't have a goalscorer, maybe Anier will fit the bill, but I hope that silences everybody who said Shane was the answer. A much stiffer test against PTFC next week.

Cup games are about winning and we won so that is a success.

We didn't play well though, the unfamiliar formation was obvious and we gave away a few free kicks due to arriving late or using the ball badly. The Elgin goal looked a bit of a trundler, I think OFW could've done better.

After that we were pretty dominant. We played a lot of balls directly into Doumbaya but he didn't create much and we were reliant on Cole for any creative influence. He was fed the ball several times and made dangerous runs, culminating in the goal when he drilled in a low shot rather than cross.

Second half we were dominant in terms of territory and possession but again struggled to create chance. Doumbaya had one miss that looked an open goal and hit the bar with another header before bagging a goal. He may have scored and hit the bar but I still have strong doubts that he's a Premiership quality player. We also hit the bar late on from a free kick before Elgin forced some pressure right at the end but couldn't get a shot off.

I've still got doubts about our squad and Foran but that was a tricky game and it's a positive that we won and came from behind. We showed good spirit and ground out the situation. We aren't that good, we having glaring weaknesses in our team. I hope Ebbe and Anier are better than Boden, who is fucking awful.

Solid hilarity at the young teams 'facing off' through the fence. I do wonder if the police really needed to segregate the fans at full time and that's the first time I've ever seen police dogs at one of our games. Oh well.

55 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Solid hilarity at the young teams 'facing off' through the fence. I do wonder if the police really needed to segregate the fans at full time and that's the first time I've ever seen police dogs at one of our games. Oh well.

Would love to be able to agree but I saw both sides kicking the shit out of each other after the game.

Would love to be able to agree but I saw both sides kicking the shit out of each other after the game.

Ah I missed this. Shite craic.

Saw the highlights, a howler by OFW for the Elgin goal.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Saw the highlights, a howler by OFW for the Elgin goal.

Seems to be the norm at the moment unfortunately. I don't really like to single out players for criticism but I wonder if we hadn't been blinkered by the money from the Euros for Owain then would he have been offered the new contract instead of Dean?

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

All without Draper and Meekings and having to play 3 at the back as we only had 3 defenders :lol:. Dominated the possession and the corners, attempts at goal etc, hit the woodwork a couple of times, a fairly satisfactory day's work when the media were looking at us for their potential shock which turned out to be the Dees. We still don't have a goalscorer, maybe Anier will fit the bill, but I hope that silences everybody who said Shane was the answer. A much stiffer test against PTFC next week.

Looked to me like it was four at the back, despite the speculation pre-match.  We essentially lined up in a 4-2-4 formation, with Polworth at right back and Doran and Cole pushed alongside Boden (who was appalling) and Doumbouya.

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Looked to me like it was four at the back, despite the speculation pre-match.  We essentially lined up in a 4-2-4 formation, with Polworth at right back and Doran and Cole pushed alongside Boden (who was appalling) and Doumbouya.

Cheers for that. I was a late call-off with a chest infection so got all my info online. Gutted to miss the Scottish Cup as I always look forward to it. Getting to this game would have meant leaving home at 8.30 and getting back about 11pm, after sitting on trains & buses all day feeling like shit. I claim the early lead in the 'most self-pitying post of 2017' award :lol:

Caley used there strength and done there homework for this game so we pretty much huffed and puffed as much as we could.

But if thats the way caley play in premier league then it should be a tough rest of the season for them

Archived