Motherwell v Celtic

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are mistaking me as criticising Motherwell when I'm not. I'm just pointing out that they didn't make any effort to get a positive result and imo were the worst team we have played this season at home.

We beat Barcelona a few years ago with a line up that included Ambrose, Mulgrew and Miku with our super sub being Tony Watt. Barca were the CL holders at the time and the best team in the world with infinitely more resources than us. We set up tactically to make sure we wouldn't lose goals but in a way that still allowed us to get at Barca.

Motherwell came to Celtic Park and didn't make any attempt whatsoever to get a result. You brought on a 17 year old when you were 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go when you had Lionel Ainsworth on the bench and continued to make no effort to sneak a late equaliser even though it was clear that by that stage of the game that you weren't going to lose 6-0.

Are you claiming that Barca result was a tactical masterclass? And not them half arsing it through an unlucky night before a scuffed winner?

You could play that way 100 times and lose 95

Worth noting you played "for a result" at the Nou Camp, and got muntered beyond anything you've handed out this season.

Hammell back in, Lasley and Clay in midfield. This will go well.

Motherwell: Samson, Tait, Hammell, Heneghan, McManus, Moult, Cadden, Lasley, Clay, MacLean, McDonald

Motherwell subs: Brill, Ainsworth, Bowman, Thomas, Ferguson, Campbell, McMillan

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you claiming that Barca result was a tactical masterclass? And not them half arsing it through an unlucky night before a scuffed winner?

You could play that way 100 times and lose 95

Worth noting you played "for a result" at the Nou Camp, and got muntered beyond anything you've handed out this season.

Scuffed winner? 

Wanyama scored a header and Tony Watt put us 2-0 up with a well-hit shot. Stop making stuff up. 

Just now, The OP said:

Scuffed winner? 

Wanyama scored a header and Tony Watt put us 2-0 up with a well-hit shot. Stop making stuff up. 

You won 2-1, with Watts goal being the winner. I'm not sure whats contestable about that. You had about 30% possession and only got three shots on target, its hardly some glorious feat of going toe to toe with a team much better than you, you just sat it and took chances from counters and set pieces, while bringing on a teenager. I don't see how thats any different from what teams try at Celtic Park.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You won 2-1, with Watts goal being the winner. I'm not sure whats contestable about that. You had about 30% possession and only got three shots on target, its hardly some glorious feat of going toe to toe with a team much better than you, you just sat it and took chances from counters and set pieces, while bringing on a teenager. I don't see how thats any different from what teams try at Celtic Park.

I'm not part of this tedious argument about tactics when playing a better team.

Just pointing out Tony Watt's shot wasn't scuffed and I personally view the term 'winner' as being the goal which, when it is scored, breaks a deadlock and which later proves to be decisive. You're distorting facts for effect.

Decent goal fae Motherwell btw. 

Lustig holding his ankle and writhing about until he realises its not a free kick, and suddenly jumping up and running back, absolutely makes that goal.

Tremendous.

Archived