Celtic January exit thread

You are making no sense Mulgrew came through your youth system deemed not good enough not a player that we signed?

Fisher when he got a game at Celtic played at right back?

Mulgrew was "stockpiled". He was either out on loan, or sitting in the stands. You eventually signed him back yes, but if he hadn't been sold, he wouldn't have developed as well as he did

And yeah, Fisher was a right back who constantly charged into the centre of the park, leaving a gaping big hole behind him, when he first signed. He seemed to have no idea how to actually position himself on the pitch.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair points, but by all accounts Christie has played well for Celtic. Why did they sign him when they had Commons, Rogic, Armstrong all ahead of him centrally?

It was to prevent anyone else signing him later on. This is what they do, sometimes, as they can afford to gamble with ~£1m fees.

Laughable. 

For a start, no one in Scotland could afford Christie. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mulgrew was "stockpiled". He was either out on loan, or sitting in the stands. You eventually signed him back yes, but if he hadn't been sold, he wouldn't have developed as well as he did

And yeah, Fisher was a right back who constantly charged into the centre of the park, leaving a gaping big hole behind him, when he first signed. He seemed to have no idea how to actually position himself on the pitch.

Your original point was young talent being signed from elsewhere(look above)?Mulgrew was 24-25 when he came back to Celtic, was at celtic from 16 to 20,Mulgrew all-in was at Celtic for 10 years most of his footballing career?

Laughable. 
For a start, no one in Scotland could afford Christie. 

Well yeah, I've never claimed Celtic sign young players to prevent other teams from progressing, I said they signed Christie before he was good enough, simply because they thought someone else might sign him and they'd have missed out. It's you lot that seem to think I'm claiming you signed Christie to end ICTs title charge.

Your original point was young talent being signed from elsewhere(look above)?Mulgrew was 24-25 when he came back to Celtic, was at celtic from 16 to 20,Mulgrew all-in was at Celtic for 10 years most of his footballing career?

I'm saying Celtic stockpile youngsters.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Well yeah, I've never claimed Celtic sign young players to prevent other teams from progressing, I said they signed Christie before he was good enough, simply because they thought someone else might sign him and they'd have missed out. It's you lot that seem to think I'm claiming you signed Christie to end ICTs title charge.

Why else would a team sign a younger player? 

Celtic signed Christie as they believed he would have a better chance of developing into a top player at Celtic. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

you need a forklift and a warehoose for that?feck they blue pallets peep peep peep

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think we signed christie because he is a talent played 7 games this season if you think that is "stockpile"or not enough for a 21 year old?

I think we signed christie because he is a talent played 7 games this season if you think that is "stockpile"or not enough for a 21 year old?

Seven games out of a possible thirty seven isnt enough games for a 21yo, no.

Nearly 10 years as a pro plus through the youth system. we didn't develop him though,just stock piled him apparently.

Nearly 10 years as a pro plus through the youth system. we didn't develop him though,just stock piled him apparently.

Yes. At 20 he hadnt played a minute for you lot on the pitch. I cant understand why you don't see why I'm saying your didn't develop him into the player he is.

Random Guy having a nightmare again I see.

It's quite simple really, we sign players who we think have the potential to develop into a quality player. We give them all the same opportunities and it's up to the player to show he's good enough to play for a club like Celtic, whether that's in football ability or mentally.

Look around the scottish leagues and there are countless players that came through our youth system that were never good enough for Celtic and have now found their level.

It has absolutely nothing to do stifling competition

Yes. At 20 he hadnt played a minute for you lot on the pitch. I cant understand why you don't see why I'm saying your didn't develop him into the player he is.

As important as game time is, the fact that he came through our youth/stock control system,was a pro with us for 4 years, got international exposure,loaned then exchanged showed that we did have a significant/major influence in his development.

Allegedly He would have got some competitive games at least if he hadn't fallen out with Strachan but was deemed to have an attitude at the time,where they fell out over him arriving late for a tour if I recall.

21 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As important as game time is, the fact that he came through our youth/stock control system,was a pro with us for 4 years, got international exposure,loaned then exchanged showed that we did have a significant/major influence in his development.

Allegedly He would have got some competitive games at least if he hadn't fallen out with Strachan but was deemed to have an attitude at the time,where they fell out over him arriving late for a tour if I recall.

I think that tells you more about strachan than the players at the time,this is one of the reasons i didn't like strachan at your club he didn't develop the talent at the club eg.caddis,wallace,mulgrew,maloney all left under strachan

I must agree that Fisher was absolutely horseshit when he arrived in Perth. He looked like an athlete playing football for the first time, absolute bombscare. He did however improve with instruction. I for one was surprised he'd played for celtics first team. 

Did yous not play him in midfield initially though or am i imagining things?

Did yous not play him in midfield initially though or am i imagining things?

He played right back for a while, badly, and then central midfield in a few game, which was even worse. It was only after the New Year that he became a plausible footballer, up until that point his highlight was time wasting up in Inverness by smashing the ball onto the dual carriageway (he tried to, anyway)

Archived