Celtic January exit thread

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fucking hell :lol:

Is that a serious question?

Care to explain the reactions? There is a book called 'Soccernomics'. I've only seen the word posted on here so googled it. I fail to see what the issue is. Try & respond without acting like fannies if it's possible.

I'm sorry. I didn't realise it was only yourself allowed to bang on about your frustrations in the game.

The problem here is that you're looking at Aberdeen as a normal city like Edinburgh or Glasgow when it isn't. Aberdeen has a lot of expats working there that don't care about AFC and a lot of the local students or workers will move to Glasgow or Edinburgh for more choice of jobs. The latter is very likely the reason for the massive jump in attendance for cup finals because these people will make more effort to go to a bigger game rather than travelling a 10-14 hour round trip to go to a standard home league game every second week which would cost them a small fortune. The fact pittodrie is also a bit of a dump these days probably doesn't help attract lapsed fans. Perhaps the new stadium will help with numbers but they're hardly going to build a 25,000 seated stadium on the dreams of daviebhoy from P&B.

Aberdeen city I believe has a population of approx 260,000 and 5% of them go every week. I'd say that's a good turnout for any team.

TBH, I'd fully expect a club with Aberdeens huge fan base to be able to attract 18,000 fans to Pittodrie. It's not a massive target.

They're averaging over 18k this season, and have only been ~250 off it in the previous two seasons.

The problem here is that you're looking at Aberdeen as a normal city like Edinburgh or Glasgow when it isn't. Aberdeen has a lot of expats working there that don't care about AFC

It's not vastly different. Also when I was an living in Swindon, I went to watch them play every now and again. That actually added to their numbers.

a lot of the local students or workers will move to Glasgow or Edinburgh for more choice of jobs.

So people moving to the city hampers them while their young people moving to our city hampers them too. C'mon, there are Aberdeen fans at Uni here but this is a reason why they managed to set up Supporters clubs here that still manage to travel to Pittodrie. Also Glasgow & Edinburgh also attract people who move to and from it for these reasons too.

The latter is very likely the reason for the massive jump in attendance for cup finals because these people will make more effort to go to a bigger game rather than travelling a 10-14 hour round trip to go to a standard home league game every second week which would cost them a small fortune. The fact pittodrie is also a bit of a dump these days probably doesn't help attract lapsed fans. Perhaps the new stadium will help with numbers but they're hardly going to build a 25,000 seated stadium on the dreams of daviebhoy from P&B.

People will always come out the woodwork for a cup final and I actually know of two people who were in the Celtic end at Hampden on Sunday who should never have been there. How they got tickets ahead of fans who go I'll never know. We are all guilty of getting glory hunters for cup finals and I'm not expecting Aberdeen to attract 48,000 because they sold 43,000 tickets for Celtic Park & demanded 5,000 more. However, lets just stop the pretence that somehow other than the 13,000 who on average turn out at Pittodrie, that the remaining numbers all flew in from Timbuktu. Yes you will get far travelled fans coming, but I'd say a rough estimate of 90-95% of those fans were from in or around Aberdeen. I don't think that'd be too far off the truth.

I do hope a new stadium does help bring Aberdeen more fans to watch them. I truly believe that in the 3 clubs I mentioned, we have the potential to make this league a million miles better than what it is.

They're average is around 13,000 is it not.

Not since 2012/13. The last three years has seen the best run of attendances since the Ferguson era.

Archived