Celtic January exit thread

Yes but they don't, do they

Well unless the board start taking the piss then we do well. We attract 54,000 roughly. Your club is enjoying 3 particularly good seasons under McInnes & still you get around 13,000 fans. There is no getting away from the fact that it's piss poor. Both Hearts & even Hibs in the Championship have seen a good jump in attendances as a result of a feel-good factor while you have little noticeable improvement.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure our attendances are piss poor. Even when we were one of the top teams in European football we only averaged around 16-17K. Aberdeen is just not a great footballing city. Too little poverty when compared to Glasgow which has made a difference. Add in the religious divide which causes too many to choose a team for the wrong reasons, still (and in the 21st century, jesus!), and then compound that to include the rest of Scotland. There are reasons why Celtic and Rangers have historically been the big two and their not nice ones really.

So the chat about crowds and Aberdeen is always going to be a non starter for me. We do get the fourth, (currently I think but I will stand corrected) largest attendance from the third largest city so not too bad. If all the local old firm fans in Aberdeen attended we would up it by a few thousand probably. Celtics attendances are based on ST's mainly and the club have been blessed with fans who have been happy to buy one but not attend. The last accurate set of attendance figures showed Celtic to be anywhere up to 25000 less than the published numbers at some games. I think those guys should just give up on you lot and come over to us with their money. They can buy our ST's and not attend, I'm happy with that. :)

1 hour ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Well unless the board start taking the piss then we do well. We attract 54,000 roughly. Your club is enjoying 3 particularly good seasons under McInnes & still you get around 13,000 fans. There is no getting away from the fact that it's piss poor. Both Hearts & even Hibs in the Championship have seen a good jump in attendances as a result of a feel-good factor while you have little noticeable improvement.

Aberdeen don't have the benefit of indoctrination into the "Celtic way" at religious schools though do they?

How much will Celtic have to pay to get rid of him and the rest of the Paradise shite that they have bought?

We have been generally operating with a heavy surplus of late so its no great concern.
The only ones I can see getting paid off is Commons or Ciftci tbh.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

We have been generally operating with a heavy surplus of late so its no great concern.
The only ones I can see getting paid off is Commons or Ciftci tbh.

Really? What about Bouyata?

We're a bit short/crap at the back atm. I'd take O'Connell on loan.

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

Really? What about Bouyata?

We're a bit short/crap at the back atm. I'd take O'Connell on loan.

Given that hes still relatively young it was only about 6 months ago he got picked for Belgium for the Euros before getting injured he will still have some value. I do think he is pish though.

O'Connell has been linked with  Killie, hes been really unlucky with injuries and I hope he gets some much needed game time wherever he goes.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 23:38, RussellAnderson said:
But they aren't going to a rival team. The point I'm making, which you don't seem to be getting, is that this issue adds onto the long list of problems the rest of Scottish football has with Celtic (and probably Rangers again, eventually). 

You've lost a few players to Southampton but other than that, I can't imagine Celtic fans would have any other gripe with the club. 

This seems to be a common gripe with fans of smaller teams. We hear the same old nonsense about us buying young players and them rotting away on the bench or in the development squad.

Here's the thing though, these players are bought because they have shown a certain amount of potential. Celtic put all these players through the exact same training processes but in the end it's up to the player to make sure he makes the first team. If said player(s) lacks belief in himself or doesn't show enough to play for the first team then that's on the player not Celtic. We are giving these players a platform to win trophies and play in European football and if they prove themselves to be good enough they will play. If they don't show enough they will rot away. If you want to blame anyone, blame the players who don't fulfil their potential.

Daviebhoy a wee side point here on your constant crowd chat. Taking out the big leagues, (I.e. England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Holland) Aberdeen have the 34th biggest average attendance of all clubs in the rest of Europe. That is pretty fucking spectacular when you consider this includes the likes of Russia, Ukraine, Portugal, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria etc etc. They clearly aren't going to attract 25,000 or whatever you think they can attract for numerous reasons but the main one being that they never have and never will. Please let this be the end of the crowd chat because I'm sick of reading the same argument every single day I come on here

Edit to change 32nd to 34th (same difference really)

6 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

This seems to be a common gripe with fans of smaller teams. We hear the same old nonsense about us buying young players and them rotting away on the bench or in the development squad.

Here's the thing though, these players are bought because they have shown a certain amount of potential. Celtic put all these players through the exact same training processes but in the end it's up to the player to make sure he makes the first team. If said player(s) lacks belief in himself or doesn't show enough to play for the first team then that's on the player not Celtic. We are giving these players a platform to win trophies and play in European football and if they prove themselves to be good enough they will play. If they don't show enough they will rot away. If you want to blame anyone, blame the players who don't fulfil their potential.

Daviebhoy a wee side point here on your constant crowd chat. Taking out the big leagues, (I.e. England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Holland) Aberdeen have the 32nd biggest average attendance of all clubs in the rest of Europe. That is pretty fucking spectacular when you consider this includes the likes of Russia, Ukraine, Portugal, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria etc etc. They clearly aren't going to attract 25,000 or whatever you think they can attract for numerous reasons but the main one being that they never have and never will. Please let this be the end of the crowd chat because I'm sick of reading the same argument every single day I come on here

Fair play on the crowd chat. You summed it up well so I'll concur. 

And I agree with you to a point on the signings chat. Yes it is up to the individual player to make it,  and yes Celtic are obviously a bigger draw to players, both financially and in a footballing sense. Its the repetition which grates, and that feeling of "they've gone to THEM". Ask the majority of fans where they'd rather their players go and most would probably prefer them not to go to a rival. Even if they do well, its not ideal because they're strengthening yous! 

But I feel this thread has been derailed a little so I'll sign off there. To get back on topic, I'd like Dembele to leave please >:)

1 minute ago, RussellAnderson said:

Fair play on the crowd chat. You summed it up well so I'll concur. 

And I agree with you to a point on the signings chat. Yes it is up to the individual player to make it,  and yes Celtic are obviously a bigger draw to players, both financially and in a footballing sense. Its the repetition which grates, and that feeling of "they've gone to THEM". Ask the majority of fans where they'd rather their players go and most would probably prefer them not to go to a rival. Even if they do well, its not ideal because they're strengthening yous! 

But I feel this thread has been derailed a little so I'll sign off there. To get back on topic, I'd like Dembele to leave please >:)

Yeah agreed, just felt I should address two of those tangents.

As long we don't lose Dembele ill be happy enough

Daviebhoy a wee side point here on your constant crowd chat. Taking out the big leagues, (I.e. England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Holland) Aberdeen have the 34th biggest average attendance of all clubs in the rest of Europe. That is pretty fucking spectacular when you consider this includes the likes of Russia, Ukraine, Portugal, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria etc etc. They clearly aren't going to attract 25,000 or whatever you think they can attract for numerous reasons but the main one being that they never have and never will. Please let this be the end of the crowd chat because I'm sick of reading the same argument every single day I come on here

Good post tony min

19 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Aberdeens average attendance this season is the highest its been since 1989/90, and is higher than the season they won the European Cup.

What are you expecting?

On 28/11/2016 at 15:31, ICTChris said:

I didn't realise that Commons was still at Celtic.

We'll take Christie back on loan.

I saw him in the Merchant City a few months ago and he was fatter than me.  I'm surprised Armani does anything in his size these days.

Sorry Tony but that is nonsense. You can't just eliminate 6 leagues in Europe then say that it's good for the Dons to be the 34th supported team AFTER those leagues. These leagues count too & besides, there is no reason to exclude them. They are a one team city, miles away from Glasgow. Hearts & Hibs manage to do better despite sharing a city & being only an hour from Glasgow, so let's not compare with other countries if you want...let's compare with the other two big clubs in this country outside of Celtic & Rangers.

You say Aberdeen never have attracted 25,000 crowds but that is not correct. In fact their record attendance is 45,061 v Hearts. You can go back just a few years to Celtic Park to see how they had 43,000 there & were complaining that they didn't get another 5,000 tickets. There were 100,000 out for the trophy parade so I'm not sure where this argument comes from that it's beyond them to attract 25,000. Seems I can see more potential in them than their own fans. The fan base is there so it's about getting them to turn up.

You might be sick of reading it but when you constantly see arguments/complaints being put forward about how they can't compete & put the blame firmly down to losing their best players then you can't get away from the crowd argument.

Aberdeens average attendance this season is the highest its been since 1989/90, and is higher than the season they won the European Cup.

What are you expecting?

TBH, I'd fully expect a club with Aberdeens huge fan base to be able to attract 18,000 fans to Pittodrie. It's not a massive target.

Archived