Celtic January exit thread

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Ciftci is a classic example of Celtic signing a good player at a diddy club and him not being able to handle the step up. Standard.

FTFY. 

If only you were as concerned with McInnes' managerial ability as you are with Celtic. 

Ciftci is a classic example of Celtic signing a good player and letting him rot in the reserves. Mental.

I would disagree that he is a good player. Decent maybe, but not good. He had some potential but we shelled out a lot for that & it came to nothing.

I remember a fans page running a poll asking if they wanted him to sign shortly before we did sign him & the majority were against him coming.

57 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I would disagree that he is a good player. Decent maybe, but not good. He had some potential but we shelled out a lot for that & it came to nothing.

I remember a fans page running a poll asking if they wanted him to sign shortly before we did sign him & the majority were against him coming.

That's my point. Why bother signing him if he wasn't good enough? If a player from your team goes to Celtic and does well you feel a lot better than if they go and sit on their arse. Compare with Armstrong who is doing well having been given the chance. A signing which made sense. It doesn't happen as much these days but under Strachan, Celtic used to sign up anyone who had a half decent game against them. Chris Killen and Willo Flood spring to mind but I'm sure there are others. Some work, like McDonald, but when you lose one of your better players and they go on to not play it smarts. The same can be said when they go down south but there's not the pre-existing bank of ill feeling with Birmingham City or the like. It's not the main thing wrong with your club, and its not your fault, but its annoying is all. I'm sure the likes of Queens Park fans are annoyed that we sign Lawrence Shankland and don't give him a chance. 

That's my point. Why bother signing him if he wasn't good enough? If a player from your team goes to Celtic and does well you feel a lot better than if they go and sit on their arse. Compare with Armstrong who is doing well having been given the chance. A signing which made sense. It doesn't happen as much these days but under Strachan, Celtic used to sign up anyone who had a half decent game against them. Chris Killen and Willo Flood spring to mind but I'm sure there are others. Some work, like McDonald, but when you lose one of your better players and they go on to not play it smarts. The same can be said when they go down south but there's not the pre-existing bank of ill feeling with Birmingham City or the like. It's not the main thing wrong with your club, and its not your fault, but its annoying is all. I'm sure the likes of Queens Park fans are annoyed that we sign Lawrence Shankland and don't give him a chance. 

That's the nature of football though mate. If they show enough 'potential' then a bigger club in the same league/country could be tempted to part cash to see if the player can fulfil the potential they suspect he has. Some work out, some don't.

Like you say, every club does it. Where I think we're a bit different is that without sounding cocky, we usually do play a lot more games with extended runs in the cups, plus the European games & our 'glamour friendlies', so we need a bigger squad & most will play some part throughout the season, albeit nowhere near as many games as they would at their previous club. I'm sure Celtic don't want to be wasting £1.5m (think that's what it was) on someone like Ciftci only for it to not work out.

This doesn't just happen with Scottish players though as some think that we just sign them to not play them. I give you guys like Scepovic, Pukki, Carlton Cole to name a few of the players we snapped up to just pick up a wage & contribute little to nothing. Every club gets some signings wrong.

31 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

That's the nature of football though mate. If they show enough 'potential' then a bigger club in the same league/country could be tempted to part cash to see if the player can fulfil the potential they suspect he has. Some work out, some don't.

Like you say, every club does it. Where I think we're a bit different is that without sounding cocky, we usually do play a lot more games with extended runs in the cups, plus the European games & our 'glamour friendlies', so we need a bigger squad & most will play some part throughout the season, albeit nowhere near as many games as they would at their previous club. I'm sure Celtic don't want to be wasting £1.5m (think that's what it was) on someone like Ciftci only for it to not work out.

This doesn't just happen with Scottish players though as some think that we just sign them to not play them. I give you guys like Scepovic, Pukki, Carlton Cole to name a few of the players we snapped up to just pick up a wage & contribute little to nothing. Every club gets some signings wrong.

But in the small pond that is Scottish football, there is one club (used to be two) which buys all the players. Again, I don't blame the club(s), but you can understand the ill feeling and bitter taste it can leave in the mouth. Christie, Mackay-Steven, Ciftci and Allan are the four on the books at the moment who fit the criteria, with three of those looking like their Celtic career is just about over. Christie may still make the grade but I doubt it.

Looking at the Celtic squad atm, the other two players who Celtic have signed directly from Scottish clubs are Brown (obvious success) and Armstrong (looks promising but early days). 2:1 ratio of failure to success which could turn to 5:1 if Armstrong has a poorly timed dip in form or injury. Frustrating.  

But in the small pond that is Scottish football, there is one club (used to be two) which buys all the players. Again, I don't blame the club(s), but you can understand the ill feeling and bitter taste it can leave in the mouth. Christie, Mackay-Steven, Ciftci and Allan are the four on the books at the moment who fit the criteria, with three of those looking like their Celtic career is just about over. Christie may still make the grade but I doubt it.

Looking at the Celtic squad atm, the other two players who Celtic have signed directly from Scottish clubs are Brown (obvious success) and Armstrong (looks promising but early days). 2:1 ratio of failure to success which could turn to 5:1 if Armstrong has a poorly timed dip in form or injury. Frustrating.  

I can understand the frustration. It's the same frustration Celtic fans share when we see players like Wanyama & Forster go down south to smaller clubs but clubs with more money thanks to their bloated TV deal. We make good money on them, but nowhere near the money you know they will be worth. These clubs do to us, what we do to others.

Like I said, it's a football food chain. Guys like yourselves have raided clubs with smaller budgets like Inverness CT. Dundee Utd snapped players from Queens Park by flexing their financial muscle. We snap players up from other Scottish clubs & the English clubs do the same to us.

Also, in fairness with the GMS case, he has spent a lot of that time out injured.

37 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I can understand the frustration. It's the same frustration Celtic fans share when we see players like Wanyama & Forster go down south to smaller clubs but clubs with more money thanks to their bloated TV deal. We make good money on them, but nowhere near the money you know they will be worth. These clubs do to us, what we do to others.

Like I said, it's a football food chain. Guys like yourselves have raided clubs with smaller budgets like Inverness CT. Dundee Utd snapped players from Queens Park by flexing their financial muscle. We snap players up from other Scottish clubs & the English clubs do the same to us.

Also, in fairness with the GMS case, he has spent a lot of that time out injured.

But they aren't going to a rival team. The point I'm making, which you don't seem to be getting, is that this issue adds onto the long list of problems the rest of Scottish football has with Celtic (and probably Rangers again, eventually). 

You've lost a few players to Southampton but other than that, I can't imagine Celtic fans would have any other gripe with the club. 

But they aren't going to a rival team. The point I'm making, which you don't seem to be getting, is that this issue adds onto the long list of problems the rest of Scottish football has with Celtic (and probably Rangers again, eventually). 

You've lost a few players to Southampton but other than that, I can't imagine Celtic fans would have any other gripe with the club. 

I do get what you're saying but like I said, your club has snapped up a few of Inverness CT's better players. I remember a few years back at Hearts under Romanov they snapped up a few of the better players from other Premiership clubs such as Aberdeen & Falkirk. If there is potential talent right under our noses & we can prise them away because we can offer more money & a better challenge. That logic applies to Aberdeen as much as it does Celtic.

10 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

It isn't Celtic's job to make Scottish football better, btw.

Well yeah exactly. The worse Scottish football is, the better Celtic look. 

Again though mate, while I can understand how frustrating it is for you to watch your better players leave for us & previously Rangers, like I said your own club is as guilty of pinching better players from other Scottish clubs that they can financially outmuscle too. Something you have touched on. It's just the footballing food chain.

However hopefully you can understand my frustrations as a football fan. Sure I want Celtic to win & be dominant, & right now we are. However I want to see us do it in a decent league, so my frustration comes with clubs like yourselves, Hearts & Hibs who have these big fan bases but who only attract between 13,000-17,000 fans. It's frustrating because I look at them and think they are capable of so much more. As much as it's a pain in the arse having our usual away allocation at Tynecastle cut, I welcome it on the other hand because it means Hearts are selling out themselves.

I've said it before though that I look at the 3 clubs I mentioned & I see 3 clubs I believe are capable of being clubs who have the potential to have 25,000-30,000 crowds turning up to watch their team. Could you just imagine the kind of league we had if they did. The games would have better atmosphere, they'd be a big game feel to them as opposed to the footballing backwater it comes across as now. The main thing though would be that it'd give you more money to help attract better players and who knows maybe stave off interest from us and help you retain these players. If you pay the players better money than you Donnie, then it stands to reason our bids have to be much bigger than what we currently offer them. If you have a £2k a week player and could afford to give him £4K-£5k a week with the extra revenue you'd be getting through the gates, then we'd have to come in with more than say the £5k we probably offer your £2k a week player. It then gives us a decision to make if we want to sign them or not for the money being spoken about.

We all want the league to be closer but unfortunately fans of the clubs outside of Celtic & The Rangers want it to be done by us going backwards and what you can get from us as opposed to going out there and doing something about it for yourselves.

22 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

no doubt you'll sign every half decent player from every other team in the league so they can play for the development squad and occasionally sit on the bench for a friendly

Our under 20's could do with Wighton right enough.

10 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Again though mate, while I can understand how frustrating it is for you to watch your better players leave for us & previously Rangers, like I said your own club is as guilty of pinching better players from other Scottish clubs that they can financially outmuscle too. Something you have touched on. It's just the footballing food chain.

However hopefully you can understand my frustrations as a football fan. Sure I want Celtic to win & be dominant, & right now we are. However I want to see us do it in a decent league, so my frustration comes with clubs like yourselves, Hearts & Hibs who have these big fan bases but who only attract between 13,000-17,000 fans. It's frustrating because I look at them and think they are capable of so much more. As much as it's a pain in the arse having our usual away allocation at Tynecastle cut, I welcome it on the other hand because it means Hearts are selling out themselves.

I've said it before though that I look at the 3 clubs I mentioned & I see 3 clubs I believe are capable of being clubs who have the potential to have 25,000-30,000 crowds turning up to watch their team. Could you just imagine the kind of league we had if they did. The games would have better atmosphere, they'd be a big game feel to them as opposed to the footballing backwater it comes across as now. The main thing though would be that it'd give you more money to help attract better players and who knows maybe stave off interest from us and help you retain these players. If you pay the players better money than you Donnie, then it stands to reason our bids have to be much bigger than what we currently offer them. If you have a £2k a week player and could afford to give him £4K-£5k a week with the extra revenue you'd be getting through the gates, then we'd have to come in with more than say the £5k we probably offer your £2k a week player. It then gives us a decision to make if we want to sign them or not for the money being spoken about.

We all want the league to be closer but unfortunately fans of the clubs outside of Celtic & The Rangers want it to be done by us going backwards and what you can get from us as opposed to going out there and doing something about it for yourselves.

I'm not going to argue with you again over fanbase. I'll say this, as an Aberdonian Aberdeen fan, I think I know more than you about the mindset of the average punter on the street in Aberdeen. 

If Celtic really wanted a competitive league they'd vote for even distribution of European cash, tv money and gate receipts. Obviously that's not going to happen. Why would a turkey vote for the festive period? 

Archived