Stocks and Shares

loyal-blue

I'm sure there used to be a thread on here related to shares but I can't find it. I'm looking for an online platform for buying and selling shares. I previously used shareprice.co.uk but given that was a good few years ago I wonder if there are any cheaper/better alternatives out there?

Beyond that, this could be a good place for general discussion. What was the best investment you made? What shares do you currently have? Any tips or future predictions?

I don't have any useful advice unfortunately - I only looked on here because I thought the thread title was "socks and shares" rather than "stocks". I fear that that thread would have some very worrying stories from Throbber.

I buy my shares through Halifax Online Share Dealing Thingmy. Not sure if it's better or worse than the others. They sometimes do special offers where you can do transactions for £4 rather than the usual £12. I keep an eye on them using an app called Stock Watcher which also lets you buy and sell.

Don't really know much about share trading tbh, but bought quite a few in firms that plummeted after Brexit. 

Other than that, no tips to provide. It's a bit like horse-racing, just bet on company names you like!

Barclays Stockbrokers, TD Waterhouse, Halifax, AJ Bell and Hargreaves Landsdown all offer dealing services in the UK. Depending on exactly what you want to do, all have their own advantages.

ETA: Two I hold and am currently doing well with are Sound Energy which I bought earlier this year with the accumulated dividends on my account and am sitting at 3 times the money on, and BHP which I bought at around half the current price earlier this year. Those two have covered the losses I made elsewhere. Only trade in my SIPP account as it is too much hassle for me from a regulatory point of vie to trade on a regular basis, so I tend to stick with large caps that I can hold for a while without having to pay a great deal of attention to. Sound was a punt that I got in late on and put far too little into. Still a lot of people expecting very big things from them.

Manage my shares through Hargreaves and Landsown and they are fine. Made some good investments, Marks & Spencer when they were making ridiculous amounts of money, GEC Marconi/BAE, United Biscuits, BAA when they owned the main airports in the UK. I have countered that by making some horrendous investments. There is a lesson there for me that I never learn.

1 hour ago, loyal-blue said:

I'm sure there used to be a thread on here related to shares but I can't find it. I'm looking for an online platform for buying and selling shares. I previously used shareprice.co.uk but given that was a good few years ago I wonder if there are any cheaper/better alternatives out there?

Beyond that, this could be a good place for general discussion. What was the best investment you made? What shares do you currently have? Any tips or future predictions?

If you're having to ask on P&B general nonsense you're probably best paying some kind of investment fund or whatever to help get the return you're hoping for. 

My problem with some of the platforms suggested is that the fees seem excessive relative to the fairly modest amounts I'd plan to spend.

Say, just as an example, you buy £100 worth of shares in a company with Halifax, you're already over 10% down with the £12 fee. When you sell it (£12 fee) it needs to have performed exceptionally well to see any kind of profit.

I plan to invest a fairly small amount and add to it on a regular basis. I like the idea of paying for the name and security, but I'm looking at some cheaper options to try and get something to suit my own needs. 

16 hours ago, loyal-blue said:

My problem with some of the platforms suggested is that the fees seem excessive relative to the fairly modest amounts I'd plan to spend.

Say, just as an example, you buy £100 worth of shares in a company with Halifax, you're already over 10% down with the £12 fee. When you sell it (£12 fee) it needs to have performed exceptionally well to see any kind of profit.

I plan to invest a fairly small amount and add to it on a regular basis. I like the idea of paying for the name and security, but I'm looking at some cheaper options to try and get something to suit my own needs. 

It will be very difficult to get good value for money with any broker based on those amounts. Might be worth looking at managed funds. Some will have a low buy in amount and the fund manager will take their "commission" from within the fund itself, which would be lower than the 8-12% you will probably pay per trade in commission on equities.

Haven't used it in a while, but Barclays Stockbrokers used to have an excellent section on their website which was dedicated to funds. Not sure how it is now, but around 4 or 5 years ago it was probably the best UK based broker in that respect.

Archived