Arbroath vs Edinburgh City

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the highlights Arbroath should have walked that. Linn sadly remiss at the 5:20 mark after showing sublime skill at the throw in. Only one on the highlights that he should have off-loaded the ball though.

See's goal was quality, "sclaff" claim does him a disservice.  I would love to see him for us at Station Park. 

EC's #12 miss, one-on-one with the 'keeper, was a shocker.  He should have just picked up the ball and handed it to the goalie.

Im amazed the media bloke has managed to pull out 11 minutes of highlights, well done sir! However i will not be putting myself through another 11 minutes of that!

To be fair I gave Hilda more time at the beginning to help take it to 11 minutes but I understand you not wanting to watch mate. I promise next weeks highlights will be better.

That was a tough watch yesterday, apart from a wee bit at end we put them under no pressure, 

Thought It was unfair of the manager to say he expects more of Linn after the game, thought he was one of our better performers, Kader who was no where to be seen yesterday again should of got some of the flack, also maybe I'm mistaken but did Linn not play on the right at Stirling and cause havoc?? So why is he back on left yesterday?

Lovred McCords reaction when he got booked, he knew he was getting hooked at half time....

While I'm far from being Dick's biggest fan, I think some of these comments are rather over the top....

Firstly I think a lot of credit should be given to Edinburgh City. They were superb yesterday, I've not seen a team as organised and disciplined as that at Gayfield in years. They never gave us any room to play at all, played a high line at the back extremely well and ultimately they deserved at least a point out of the game. Apart from See I think they offer little going forward, and very very little creativity but their organisation and work rate makes up for that. If they have been consistently putting in performances like that over the past month it's no wonder they've been picking up wins.

As for ourselves, we really struggled yesterday. The first half was utterly soul destroying stuff, so turgid and ultimately very, very boring to watch. Several players had stinkers which really cost us, and I don't think the substitutions helped at all and if anything I felt they were detrimental, especially taking Doris off. There's really not much that can be said about the performance overall, it was just fairly pish from start to finish.

Now, with regards to Dick...... As I've said before, Dick has managed to assemble the best squad in the division in my opinion. Considering he has a top end budget, this is what you would expect and he has done very well with recruitment and has to be given credit for this. We have a good squad and a very good starting 11. However, some of his subs and tactical decisions are utterly bizarre to me and it is incredibly frustrating to see them pan out at times. I also think he's been extremely harsh on Gary Phillips who has never let the team down and been dropped out on several occasions for very little reason. Yesterday would have been ideal for him in my opinion, we needed to try and stretch the opposition and having a more attacking full back to overlap for Bobby/ Omar would have helped us going into the last 20/30 minutes in my opinion.

Dick also seems to have a habit of throwing players under the bus. He did so with Kane against Montrose when he supposedly missed a sitter, he did so with Ricky when sent off against Stirling and he has done so again with Bobby Linn, who he has singled out for criticism after yesterdays performance. I agree with most of Dick's post match interview from yesterday, but it's interesting to hear him berating the players for running out of ideas. While this may be the case, I'd also say the bench ran out of ideas. I also completely disagree with him when he says if we'd come off the park at 0-0 you'd be happy with that. If we have aspirations of winning the league we need to be beating the weaker teams in the league at home and drawing or losing at home to them can't be accepted.

We have a good chance of getting into the 5th round of the cup with the draw we've been given, and the next 2 league games are very important as Dick himself said. We need to step up and be counted over the next 2 weeks, or we could be danger of being out the cup and a dozen points off the top which while not impossible to bridge that gap it would be very, very difficult.

lets cut to the chase lads dc cost us the game yesterday. his team selection was wrong yesterday phillips had to start at left back .really feel for the guy never has he let us down. dunlop is a totall bomb scare at cb.subbing doris for prutny baffling when 2 mins before he changed it doris had a header cleared of the line. then what happens everyball launched in the air with nobody to attack the ball. watched dicks interview no manager should berate his players by name that should only happen in the changing room one way of totally losing the changing room.

Doris had done f**k all all game

The same group of players that finished the last home games 4-0 pumping of Clyde started/played yesterday, minus Ricky, who was unavailable

99 percent of people would've put that team out yesterday, Phillips was the only change most people wanted

Skelly/Malin both done extremely well when they come on in that game too

A managers job is to give the team the best possible chance of winning, he repeatedly said he had told the players it would be tough and he chose a side near enough exactly as everyone would've wanted

Can only do so much. The performances of the guys yesterday were simply nowhere near good enough. We've all seen what they can do when they're playing well, we know they're capable of so much more.

Why try and shift the responsibility away from them? They'll realise it wasn't good enough yesterday and now they've got to try and bounce back from it. Big game next Saturday.

Against a team that next season could be our main rivals.. If the mo keep playing the way they are

Skelly is our best striking option at the moment. He troubled a good defence who really dominated our attack, first half.

As the recent form shows, that was no fluke result. City have improved all season and played as predicted. We just couldn't find the final ball or finish. 

Archived