Strange sponsorship

maicoman

A company has gave Beith a good donation for a advertising board at the park They install Sky tv along with doing repares etc Nothing unusual apart from the fact they are based in the Shetland Isles! Any other clubs get sponsorship  from a far flung place or a strange sponsorship deal? Remember Auchinleck had a park side board saying Rab and Rita support the Talbot or something like that  Sure they must be a lot more unusual  ones on the go Lets hear about them

9 minutes ago, maicoman said:

A company has gave Beith a good donation for a advertising board at the park They install Sky tv along with doing repares etc Nothing unusual apart from the fact they are based in the Shetland Isles! Any other clubs get sponsorship  from a far flung place or a strange sponsorship deal? Remember Auchinleck had a park side board saying Rab and Rita support the Talbot or something like that  Sure they must be a lot more unusual  ones on the go Lets hear about them

The kind sponsor in question stayed in Beith all his days and recently moved up to the Shetlands , he's our wee kit mans son . 

I remember back in the eighties Winton Rovers had run into a bit of trouble with the closure of their Social Club and the Football Club was a guarantor for some of the debt. A local business Robertson's Hamcurer's provided the club with packets of bacon to sell around the town at cost price to the club and we sold them on for a £1 a packet I think. Robertson's are still one of the clubs sponsor to this day.

Saved our bacon in the end.:whistle

20 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Back in our senior days we were sponsored by Wet Wet Wet, they didnt give us much in the way of money but the demand from the bands fans help sell shirts. Unfortunately the Steedmans were short sighted and knocked back the chance to send someone on tour with the Wets to sell merchandise for free because they didnt want to shell out to get the stuff shipped.

That's an absolute piece of idiocy. Could have doubled their sales at a stroke. 

Absolutely honking band of course, but great exposure and a lot of fans in Scottish football of a certain age still remember it when they would often struggle to name who sponsored their own club. 

80 bangers on e-bay for one now. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Mitre-Wet-Wet-Wet-Jersey-Kit-Clydebank-FC-XL-L-Retro-Cool-/142184595279?hash=item211adcbf4f:g:L6MAAOSwHMJYMOt1

I played for a Sunday amateur side in Edinburgh who were sponsored by late eighties/early nineties band The Wedding Present.

Personally, I'd never heard of them but our left back was the drummer and apparently they had quite a cult following to the extent we had orders for replicas from Japan, the US and all over the UK.

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

I played for a Sunday amateur side in Edinburgh who were sponsored by late eighties/early nineties band The Wedding Present.

Personally, I'd never heard of them but our left back was the drummer and apparently they had quite a cult following to the extent we had orders for replicas from Japan, the US and all over the UK.

The Wedding Present are still on the go. Playing Aberdeen tomorrow (Wednesday 30th November), as well as Glenrothes & the ABC in Glasgow next May.

Don't know if it's still the case but Glasgow rockers G.U.N. were Forth Wanderers jersey sponsor the last time we played them, think the drummer lived in the village. I saw them at Hampden in 1989 supporting the Rolling Stones, G.U.N. that is, not the Wanderers. [emoji16]

I remember back in the eighties Winton Rovers had run into a bit of trouble with the closure of their Social Club and the Football Club was a guarantor for some of the debt. A local business Robertson's Hamcurer's provided the club with packets of bacon to sell around the town at cost price to the club and we sold them on for a £1 a packet I think. Robertson's are still one of the clubs sponsor to this day.

Saved our bacon in the end.:whistle

Easily the best bacon in Scotland

Archived