Iceland

monkeyblair

Hi there folks.

I have just booked flights to Reykjavik for February next year for a 4 night stay.

Any suggestions as to half decent city centre hotels - will be two adults and a ten year old?

Would you recommend a hire car?

Also hoping to see Northern Lights and head to the Blue Lagoon (not the Glasgow chippy)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I was in Reykjavik twice earlier this year, although that was to catch a connecting flight on a return journey to the US. I didn't leave the airport and on the way back, I got absolutely pished on the plane and spent the 3 hours in the airport trying to sleep in those horribly uncomfortable metal airport seats.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Oh aye, Travel forum for this pish.

I was in Reykjavik twice earlier this year, although that was to catch a connecting flight on a return journey to the US. I didn't leave the airport and on the way back, I got absolutely pished on the plane and spent the 3 hours in the airport trying to sleep in those horribly uncomfortable metal airport seats.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Oh aye, Travel forum for this pish.

What a w****r

Last went in 2010 but rented apartment instead of hotel.  Some reasonable rates for those at the time.  I wouldn't recommend hiring a car.  Some of the roads outside of the capital city can be very narrow.  Lot of small stones around on gravel roads can make things 'tricky'.  Heard of insurance claims needed due to small rocks causing damage to car body etc.  

If hiring really consider filling up for your planned driving.  Iceland isn't a place inundated with petrol stations every so often.   It's not a nation that needs a fantastically developed road network.  Tour buses with local groups are fine for getting around.

Blue Lagoon is great and I hope you get to see Northern Lights.  Too foggy when I went.  Try some whale watching too.  Minky at 2 o'clock!!!!

Edited by stm

21 minutes ago, monkeyblair said:

Hi there folks.

I have just booked flights to Reykjavik for February next year for a 4 night stay.

Any suggestions as to half decent city centre hotels - will be two adults and a ten year old?

Also hoping to see Northern Lights and head to the Blue Lagoon (not the Glasgow chippy)

A lot of sights are too far away from Reykjavik like the ice caves and glaziers, but it's the 'golden circle' you want to look into , it takes in various attractions hot springs, parks, waterfalls etc.

we used these guys for everything http://www.superjeep.is

and used the for the northern lights which was amazing, but if the weather is ok I'd hire a car and do it yourself.

Hilton nordica was a very nice hotel, Stayed there this time 2 years ago.

i would suggest hiring a car, do the golden circle at your own pace (the busses full of American tourist seemed to march past, especially at Dingvellir national park.

also you can get to Seljalandsfoss and skogafoss in a couple of hours from Reykjavik. Both are worth seeing. 

ETA www.sadcars.is is good for cars. They take cars that have done a lot of miles, service them, then rent them out at a 3rd of the price. Found out about them on here, from the guy who does the Icelandic and Faroese football blogs. Apologies to him for forgetting the name 

Edited by Jeek

42 minutes ago, monkeyblair said:

Hi there folks.

No trip is complete until you go to this place.

http://phallus.is/en/

We hired a car in Iceland in August. Absolutely fine if you stick to the main roads. It only got a bit hairy when we decided to take a short cut beside a volcano, then there was 20km of lava roads. If you're worried you can always take out insurance to cover you for any marks in the car. 

I wouldn't spend long in Reykjavik - all the waterfalls, glaciers and volcanoes are a wee bit away, but you can see most of the best ones in the South-West of Iceland. We stayed in a lovely hotel in Hella. Wasn't that cheap - nothing is - but they did have a buffet breakfast so you can fill up / steal your food for the rest of the day. 

Oh. Travel forum for this pish. Here's a link: 

Would definitely hire a car if you're there for any length of time. The road network is fine as long as you aren't going near volcanoes or in the interior. Tour buses are decent enough if you have limited time and can't drive, but as someone said they tend to speed round a certain route, usually including some dubious sight of a large tourist shop. With a car you can take your time and explore more off the beaten track. Reykjavik is a great city. Small and easy to get about with a really friendly population. Love Iceland

15 hours ago, monkeyblair said:

Hi there folks.

Ive been twice and stayed at hotel fron both times, located on the main street.

dont know if your doing much boozing but since its not cheap try appyhour gives you all the offers on.

ps Iceland is awesome.

Was in Iceland in September and had a cracking time.  Only there for 5 nights but did quite a lot of the touristy things around Reykjavik.

Definitely hire a car. We hired a car for the Golden Circle - much better going at your own pace and being able to stop anywhere you wanted. We ended up going off the beaten path and finding Bruarfoss waterfall which was breathtaking.  Well worth doing plenty research into where to go as there's tons of nice places to see.

We stayed at the Opal Apartments (http://opalapartments.is/ ) and I couldn't recommend there highly enough.  5 minutes from town and with a couple of supermarkets nearby - as well as a take away place that does good pizza.  Not far from the most famous museum either...

For the Blue Lagoon we stayed the night before at the Silica Hotel which is part of the Blue Lagoon complex.  This hotel was simply incredible - has it's own lagoon which was just as good as the big one but with about a dozen other people there as opposed to another thousand or so at the main place.  Blue Lagoon was alright but just too busy for me!

In Reykjavik you need to head to the hot dog stand called Baejarins Beztu Pylsur. It's just a 2 minute walk from the other end of the main street but does amazing hot dogs.  Quite small though so I would get 2 if you're a greedy git like myself!

If it's a nice day then it's worth heading to the top of Hallfrimskirkja as you can see for miles.  Didn't have time to visit the Perlan but apparently it's great as well.

Enjoy your trip! Very jealous.

Edited by The Minertaur