"Fake News"

Zetterlund

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Have you ever been to Russia and do you know any Russians or are you talking about some nameless faceless other?

I know most Russians don't believe their news, they just watch to see what line the Kremlin is taking.

By the way, it's great having RT and Aljazeera, wish we still had Press TV to see what the Ayatollahs are thinking. And there was lots of decent content not covered in the Western media on all three. But RT is the worst for bare faced lies. They've come up with 4 or 5 contradictory "proven" explanations for what happened to MH17, and just for extras link MH370 to the Rothschilds.

58 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Can't say I watch it all the time but doesn't Al Jazeera win awards all the time for its journalism? They make a dece documentary anyway.

Wouldn't put it in the RT/Fox nutty category.

No, they're very good apart from reporting on places like Bahrain, Yemen, Syria etc where Qatar have an active role in backing Sunni forces.

P.S. Might have helped that they were set up by ex BBC employees.

Fake news about a paedophile ring in a pizza restaurant led a clown to take an assault rife to the place to "investigate". 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-fake-news-story-led-gunman-popular-dc-43977746

There is an underlying empirically verifiable reality to the world. You can investigate if AIDS is caused by HIV, if the MMR vaccine causes autism and if CO2 is a greenhouse gas. From that point you can rank news outlets on how accurately they portray things like is evolution real. Was a town bombed, did an electrician jump over a ticket barrier running from the police, did the European Human Rights Act prevent someone from being deported because they owned a cat? 

There are areas of reporting that are less subject to a reality test. How much coverage do you give a famine or a war. What back story do you emphasise the Iraq war or Takfiri Islamist on where ISIS came from? Looking at different sources will give you different outlooks but that does not mean that an outlet giving you a different outlook is "better" or that it is portraying the world more honestly. 

Outlets like the BBC rarely get the basics wrong. Where as places like the Daily Mail, Telegraph, Fox etc seem to almost deliberately misrepresent easily verifiable stories. 

There is no harm in looking for alternative view points but to portray something like Russia Today as "better" is insane, its often pretty much a conspiracy outlet. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pizzagate-from-rumor-to-hashtag-to-gunfire-in-dc/2016/12/06/4c7def50-bbd4-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.6843ab3faf24

A quick glance at this thread offers too many people for me to be angry at (Milo ffs :lol: ) but this story... the things some people will believe. I've dealt with 9/11 and Sandy Hook truthers before, they're obviously stupid. When it starts spreading and people deliberately misbelieve certain sources in favour of blatant lies purely to reinforce their own biases... I've no idea.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pizzagate-from-rumor-to-hashtag-to-gunfire-in-dc/2016/12/06/4c7def50-bbd4-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.6843ab3faf24

A quick glance at this thread offers too many people for me to be angry at (Milo ffs :lol: ) but this story... the things some people will believe. I've dealt with 9/11 and Sandy Hook truthers before, they're obviously stupid. When it starts spreading and people deliberately misbelieve certain sources in favour of blatant lies purely to reinforce their own biases... I've no idea.

What has been happening of late is not an escalation of past practice, it is a whole new and disturbing phenomenon IMO.

Your last sentence strikes a chord; if Trump supporters could have been shown that many of his statements that were the supposed reason for their support were deliberate lies it would have made no difference to how they would have voted.

Some furious backtracking from the Washington Post since the article in the OP was published. Now saying they can't vouch for the validity of their source. Most likely due to the threats of defamation suits from some of the sites originally listed. Looks like actually vetting your sources doesn't matter anymore, which goes some way to explaining why the mainstream media and their 'experts' have been having such a nightmare recently.

Some interesting debate in this thread though. I particularly enjoyed Ad Lib's policy of stripping the right to vote from anyone who doesn't agree with him (not the firs time I've seen him say that either).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38245883

Woman accussed of death threats to mother of Sandy Hook victim.

"Richards' belief that the school shooting was a hoax and never happened motivated her to make the charged threats," a statement from the US Attorney's Office said.

It is not clear why the accused doubted the December 2012 Sandy Hook massacre - in which a rifle-wielding man killed 20 children and six educators at a Connecticut primary school - actually took place.

But a few conspiracy theorists - so-called Sandy Hook truthers - have argued the shooting was staged using actors by the federal government as a pretext to introduce gun control measures.

On 07/12/2016 at 22:35, Granny Danger said:

Your last sentence strikes a chord; if Trump supporters could have been shown that many of his statements that were the supposed reason for their support were deliberate lies it would have made no difference to how they would have voted.

I think this is a very fair point. People don't care about fact-checking or reliable sources any more. Why don't they care?

On 08/12/2016 at 08:37, Zetterlund said:

Some furious backtracking from the Washington Post since the article in the OP was published. Now saying they can't vouch for the validity of their source. Most likely due to the threats of defamation suits from some of the sites originally listed. Looks like actually vetting your sources doesn't matter anymore

This is why. The major outlets don't care about fact-checking or reliable sources either - except when it suits them.

Driven by click-bait and the need to get the news out first on Twitter, the mainstream media is slowly killing itself and pushing people into the arms of "fake news". The media response? Publish articles decrying fake news, that are rushed to get onto Twitter and aren't accurate. 

Couldn't make it up. 

While the Pizzagate and Sandy Hook nutters are ridiculous, I don't think any serious site or outlet has attempted to pass off the conspiracy theories as news. This sort of thing is usually just forum chat that goes viral and attracts more loonies.

Hillary made an appearance earlier to talk about the need to address the fake news "epidemic" - to protect democracy and innocent lives of course. Also the chairman of the Independent Press Standards Organisation is saying we need to "regulate information", which sounds rather sinister.

The only reason the unemployment figure looks good for Obama is because the labour force participation rate has fallen to 40-year lows under his administration. If the participation rate was the same as it was when Obama took office, unemployment would have risen rather than dropped to the official 4.6% now. There's something wrong with the methodology when it's positive for the unemployment rate when millions of able people of working age get so discouraged they literally give up looking. 

7 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

While the Pizzagate and Sandy Hook nutters are ridiculous, I don't think any serious site or outlet has attempted to pass off the conspiracy theories as news. This sort of thing is usually just forum chat that goes viral and attracts more loonies.

Hillary made an appearance earlier to talk about the need to address the fake news "epidemic" - to protect democracy and innocent lives of course. Also the chairman of the Independent Press Standards Organisation is saying we need to "regulate information", which sounds rather sinister.

Aye, because that'll be a new tactic.

Yes, there are serious nut-jobs out there, but a simple dotting of i's around any number of protagonists in an 'attack' isn't difficult. 100-year lock on the Dunblane files, for example, or countless 'real life or exercise' drills on convenient dates. Literally dozens have been proven false flags. I've no doubt about the fatalities, but it's all good in the name of security, is it? 

And first-naming the runner-up, fucking hell. Do the sex offenders get mentions too?

Frankly, i feel sorry for the mugs who simply scroll onto Sky, Beeb or Reuters, join in with the contagion wet dream of urban terror, and blub their way into other, innocent people's grief. Scum. 

Archived