Historic child abuse in football

Miguel Sanchez

Celtic confirm sex abuse probe and deny 'doing nothing' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-48483874

If this was my club (Dundee United) I’d be disgusted with how those involved acted then and how they are acting now. It would tarnish the memories of silverware won and could be enough to put me off continuing to support them financially in the future. If it was proved that a legendary manager had known about or facilitated the continuation of a culture of abuse then his reputation and legacy would be deeply tarnished in my eyes.
The fact that because it’s the OF it immediately becomes a point scoring and responsibility deflecting exercise for tiny minded bigoted c***s is just fucking tragic.

I don't think it has anything to do with "missing the point" and more about looking at in with the perspective of time and circumstance.

We'll never know if child abuse more/less common in the last century than it is now (probably more common) but we do know there were less safeguards in place and institutions that discovered it cared more about how it cast a shadow on themselves than taking the abusers to justice. There were cover ups and "internal disciplinary action" at football clubs, the BBC, Catholic Church, Church of Scotland, Church of England, care homes, private schools, etc... practically everywhere where adult men were require to regularly interact with children.

It's "point scoring" because Celtic's handling of the matter (presuming those in charge were aware of it) was no different to any other institution at the time: including other football clubs.

I've no doubt if something similar was to happen now Celtic would act accordingly on the matter and if the same thing was discovered at Motherwell, East Fife or Drumchapel Ammies 30+ years ago they would have acted in the same way Celtic did with Torbett.

None of this admonishes Celtic's (or anyone else's) complicity in dismissing these concerns at the time, covering up or not doing enough to rectify their previous errors and they should still be held to account. It's pretty easy to do that without point scoring but that's what it inevitably descends into.

There is absolutely no doubt that Celtic behaved wrongly to what happened at the time, however as you point out it was the attitude of many in that era. Unfortunately torbbet could have done similar in a number of clubs. It would be harsh to say club x would have done the same but unfortunately the understanding and procedures weren’t in places country wide to be confident it couldn’t happen anywhere.

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

There is absolutely no doubt that Celtic behaved wrongly to what happened at the time, however as you point out it was the attitude of many in that era. Unfortunately torbbet could have done similar in a number of clubs. It would be harsh to say club x would have done the same but unfortunately the understanding and procedures weren’t in places country wide to be confident it couldn’t happen anywhere.

the way they are acting now isn't great to be honest

Piece from Andy Woodward in the Guardian. Bennel according to the article also had a young Gary Speed staying over with him. Shocking stuff when reading between the lines people at Crewe and in wider football circles would have an use what was going on.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/03/andy-woodward-barry-bennell-cousin-mothers-sister-murdered

why cant this be talked about in a manner which doesnt involve old firm fans trying to outdo each other ? its a heinous crime and a crime thats been hidden for years, it deserves to be treated seriously without the OF fans making a mockery of it.

"point scoring" = deflection argument

any song about celtic being paedos wont be helping the victims either

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

I've not noticed this on the forum.  Maybe you could highlight those posts.

i mean in general on your social media like twitter etc , even journalists are hitting out with "point scoring" etc

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I've not noticed this on the forum.  Maybe you could highlight those posts.

Most of your ones on the Celtic thread last week, they were all deleted though, all the point scoring ones from you and that latest alias of No8/Bob Williamson. 

You'll be right at home with your vile point scoring on this thread though.

1 minute ago, DanMc99 said:

i mean in general on your social media like twitter etc , even journalists are hitting out with "point scoring" etc

Can't talk for twitter but it seems to be handled pretty well on here by the mods.

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

Most of your ones on the Celtic thread last week, they were all deleted though, all the point scoring ones from you and that latest alias of No8/Bob Williamson. 

You'll be right at home with your vile point scoring on this thread though.

"point scoring"

Guest Moomintroll
why cant this be talked about in a manner which doesnt involve old firm fans trying to outdo each other ? its a heinous crime and a crime thats been hidden for years, it deserves to be treated seriously without the OF fans making a mockery of it.
"point scoring" = deflection argument
any song about celtic being paedos wont be helping the victims either
We can't, I have asked this previously & received some vile responses that I reported. My original post was deleted along with the point scoring shite so do not expect the mods on here to react proportionally, I don't want to cause them any offence but they really seem to have a blind spot when it comes to that pish.

15 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Piece from Andy Woodward in the Guardian. Bennel according to the article also had a young Gary Speed staying over with him. Shocking stuff when reading between the lines people at Crewe and in wider football circles would have an use what was going on.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/03/andy-woodward-barry-bennell-cousin-mothers-sister-murdered

That was a grim read.  The additional info regarding his aunt's murder is mind-blowing!

23 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

That was a grim read.  The additional info regarding his aunt's murder is mind-blowing!

Mental stuff. When you read just a little insight into what went on for the victims it's make the fannies point scoring over Child abuse seem like absolute cretins.

That is a bleak read. Not sure I could continue to turn up to support Crewe now if they were my club. Some things are just far bigger.

• 2 months later...