Historic child abuse in football

Miguel Sanchez

7 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

they rehired the guy after being convicted the first time, thats despicable whoever made that call.

there wouldnt have been another trial if whoever it was decided to let him back in the door to work with children. sickos

Did they rehire him after his initial conviction?  I don't think they did.  He left the club in 1974, was rehired later in the 1970s but wasn't convicted of any criminal offence until the late 1990s.

1 hour ago, DanMc99 said:

they rehired the guy after being convicted the first time, thats despicable whoever made that call.

there wouldnt have been another trial if whoever it was decided to let him back in the door to work with children. sickos

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Did they rehire him after his initial conviction?  I don't think they did.  He left the club in 1974, was rehired later in the 1970s but wasn't convicted of any criminal offence until the late 1990s.

No he only got arrested in 1994 I think. Although he did  join over a decade after being sacked previously at least one of the board members would have been aware of the accusations prior Im sure.

Statement from Celtic.

FOLLOWING the conviction of Mr James Torbett at Glasgow Sheriff Court, Celtic Football Club wishes to express our deep regret that the incidents took place and sympathy for the victims who suffered abuse. We are grateful for the courage of those who have come forward to report abuse and to give evidence after such a long period of time. We have great respect for them and their families as they continue to cope with the distressing effects of the abuse they suffered.

Allegations regarding abuse at Celtic Boys’ Club first emerged in the 1990s. Although Celtic Football Club is an entirely separate organisation, we have always taken these allegations extremely seriously because of our historic contacts with Celtic Boys’ Club. All investigations by the police and other inquiries were given our full support. We encouraged any individuals involved to report all information to the police so that matters could be investigated fully. Celtic Football Club continues to encourage any victim of abuse to report these crimes to the police.

After the allegations became known in the 1990s, Celtic Football Club took steps to develop a new code of conduct and procedures to protect young people. Since then, Celtic Football Club has been at the leading edge of putting welfare and safeguarding protections in place for our young people. We were the first club in Scotland to appoint a safeguarding officer, developing policies for the protection of young people and monitoring and reviewing our procedures to ensure they continue to reflect best practice.

The abuse of children is an issue affecting many areas of society, including a large number of football clubs, sports clubs, youth organisations, educational institutions and religious bodies across Britain. Celtic Football Club strongly believes that children and young people involved in football have the right to protection from all forms of harm and abuse and is committed to ensuring this and to promoting their wellbeing through continued cooperation with our children and young people, parents and carers and the relevant authorities.  

Fair enough regarding the rebrand.

On 11/6/2018 at 16:12, TheCelt67 said:

The Kellys have a lot to answer for regarding this as far as I'm concerned. 

According to the BBC article, some of the Kelly family had shared business interests with Torbett?  

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

According to the BBC article, some of the Kelly family had shared business interests with Torbett?  

I thought it was the correct response from Celtic tonight, the priority is supporting the victims and encouraging anymore to come forward and seek help and hopefully some sort of closure/steps to dealing with it.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I believe that to be the case.  The fact Torbett was shown the door after these allegations first came to light only to be rehired a couple of years later by the Kellys is nothing short of scandalous.

47 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

I believe that to be the case.  The fact Torbett was shown the door after these allegations first came to light only to be rehired a couple of years later by the Kellys is nothing short of scandalous.

How do you know he was shown the door?

On 06/11/2018 at 10:25, Bandstand said:

You and your fellow h*uns laugh openly about paedophilia so don't act like its something that really bothers you

An absolutely tragic post from you.  

What we learned from Monday's court verdict is that Celtic invited  a known child abuser back in to the club.  This is what makes it so damning .  I haven't a clue why you and others fail to acknowledge this.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

An absolutely tragic post from you.  

What we learned from Monday's court verdict is that Celtic invited  a known child abuser back in to the club.  This is what makes it so damning .  I haven't a clue why you and others fail to acknowledge this.

Just go away...back to Follow Follow and crack jokes about it.

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

Kincardine barely able to contain his joy at the latest revelations here. 

Wish he'd slime off to Follow Follow and stay there.

Worth repeating that Rangers told a victim of child abuse to f**k off and take it up with the Liquidaters, and it was nothing to do with them, yet Kincardine is pretending to be concerned that Celtic haven't took responsibility!..just a vile creep who revels in child abuse.

Edited by Jdog

i'm not a celtic or rangers fan but why do people keep missing the point about celtic rehiring a know child sex offender? the more i see stuff like  "point scoring" the more i think people don't want to talk about it for some reason , it's quite sinister and i think it'll get a lot worse the more it's investigated. i also think it'll probably have spread to other clubs.

sickening

7 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

i'm not a celtic or rangers fan but why do people keep missing the point about celtic rehiring a know child sex offender?

I don't think it has anything to do with "missing the point" and more about looking at in with the perspective of time and circumstance.

We'll never know if child abuse more/less common in the last century than it is now (probably more common) but we do know there were less safeguards in place and institutions that discovered it cared more about how it cast a shadow on themselves than taking the abusers to justice. There were cover ups and "internal disciplinary action" at football clubs, the BBC, Catholic Church, Church of Scotland, Church of England, care homes, private schools, etc... practically everywhere where adult men were require to regularly interact with children.

It's "point scoring" because Celtic's handling of the matter (presuming those in charge were aware of it) was no different to any other institution at the time: including other football clubs.

I've no doubt if something similar was to happen now Celtic would act accordingly on the matter and if the same thing was discovered at Motherwell, East Fife or Drumchapel Ammies 30+ years ago they would have acted in the same way Celtic did with Torbett.

None of this admonishes Celtic's (or anyone else's) complicity in dismissing these concerns at the time, covering up or not doing enough to rectify their previous errors and they should still be held to account. It's pretty easy to do that without point scoring but that's what it inevitably descends into.

• 6 months later...

Seems like the tip of a nasty iceberg, was there a UK wide paedo ring using their positions at various football clubs to commit crimes???

4 or 5 linked to celtic & the latest sicko higgins at Southampton was also linked to Bennell and possibly celtic too.

Celtic could and should have met this head on instead of remaining silent or sayin boys club is nowt to do with us.