General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Thanks!
I probably shouldn't download, because I am absolutely shit at the Souls games, but I saw a gameplay video a while ago and really wanted to play it ever since.

It’s fairly forgiving for a souls game; but it’s certainly not “easy”. There are checkpoints for when you reach a boss that allow you to just respawn at the boss instead of having to retread through enemy strongholds again and again. It’s definitely not unfair either, gameplay wise. The first boss in the first area is a definite step up in terms of difficulty compared to other souls games though; don’t give up with it and be patient, you’ll definitely die a lot but that’s a part of the process.

22 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

It’s fairly forgiving for a souls game; but it’s certainly not “easy”. There are checkpoints for when you reach a boss that allow you to just respawn at the boss instead of having to retread through enemy strongholds again and again. It’s definitely not unfair either, gameplay wise. The first boss in the first area is a definite step up in terms of difficulty compared to other souls games though; don’t give up with it and be patient, you’ll definitely die a lot but that’s a part of the process.

I have only died four times so far, which is far better than I fared in the Dark Souls games.

The option to run away from boss battles is a nice touch. I shall be back to kick the Tree Sentinels ass later.

My game was glitching and going dark but messing around with the graphics settings fixed that. 

But yeah, what a beautiful looking game this is.

I have only died four times so far, which is far better than I fared in the Dark Souls games.
The option to run away from boss battles is a nice touch. I shall be back to kick the Tree Sentinels ass later.
My game was glitching and going dark but messing around with the graphics settings fixed that. 
But yeah, what a beautiful looking game this is.

If you’re playing on PC, there are some widespread performance issues that should be patched out sooner rather than later.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it; I’ve just finished my first full play through ending on level 127, going to start the second run through some time this week, will mop out whatever side quests I’ve missed.

On 25/02/2022 at 23:30, SweeperDee said:

Anyone playing Elden Ring then? It’s phenomenal now I’ve got around 10 hours of playtime; around level 30 going a Dex/Keen build as a Samurai. Some of the enemies and locations are visually stunning.

My PS5 copy arrived today, so have installed it will let it patch itself before I hopefully get a go before 5's tonight.  I've never played any of these games before so I fully expect to be absolutely gubbins at it

My PS5 copy arrived today, so have installed it will let it patch itself before I hopefully get a go before 5's tonight.  I've never played any of these games before so I fully expect to be absolutely gubbins at it

Be patient with it; you’re not going to approach being good the first time playing, especially if it’s your first step into the series. Just try to absorb as much of the world as you can.

This is basically me right now. Every time I come up against a boss or even mini-boss I am getting killed every time. Not sure if it is the right tactic or not but I am trying to explore as much as possible to level up before fighting anything decent.

Having just come from Halo Infinite what is so obvious is how small the margin for error is. It’s obvious I am going to die a ridiculous number of times before beating anything. The menus etc are also proving difficult to get to grips with and I am ending up on YouTube a lot!!

I have avoided Magrit and gone to the Rountable Hall and then found the Lake instead of fighting that big fella.

9 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Be patient with it; you’re not going to approach being good the first time playing, especially if it’s your first step into the series. Just try to absorb as much of the world as you can.

9 minutes ago, Saigon Raider said:

This is basically me right now. Every time I come up against a boss or even mini-boss I am getting killed every time. Not sure if it is the right tactic or not but I am trying to explore as much as possible to level up before fighting anything decent.

Having just come from Halo Infinite what is so obvious is how small the margin for error is. It’s obvious I am going to die a ridiculous number of times before beating anything. The menus etc are also proving difficult to get to grips with and I am ending up on YouTube a lot!!

I have avoided Magrit and gone to the Rountable Hall and then found the Lake instead of fighting that big fella.

Played it for about 45 mins before 5's last night.  Very much at the "no fucking clue what i'm doing" stage.  I find the controls a bit clunky at the moment but I fear that's more to do with my unfamiliarity with it rather than anything else.

Question, see the wee messages that are left fucking everywhere, is that other players that leave them?  I find them hugely irritating rather than helpful, but i feel like if i don't read them I'll miss something.  What's the more experienced players verdict?  Ignore them?  Can you turn them off?

Full weekend on Elden Ring and its superb. I'm not on the other hand of have probably died over a hundred times. Its definitely not easy but it is far more playable for wider audience. Being able to take a break from being killed makes it more fun. Torrent is great and I probably enjoy the combat on horseback more. I'm trying to level a bit at the moment. I'm at a point where the Giants on Stormhill are taking 7/8 hits to go down with the ashes of war I have assigned to my sword and they give out 1,000 runes a drop. 

Stormveil castle is brutal if you're not levelled enough.

Yeah. other players that leave those messages yes, try and ignore them. If there's quite a lot at a given area its a clue that there's probably something worth investigating though.

Played it for about 45 mins before 5's last night.  Very much at the "no fucking clue what i'm doing" stage.  I find the controls a bit clunky at the moment but I fear that's more to do with my unfamiliarity with it rather than anything else.
Question, see the wee messages that are left fucking everywhere, is that other players that leave them?  I find them hugely irritating rather than helpful, but i feel like if i don't read them I'll miss something.  What's the more experienced players verdict?  Ignore them?  Can you turn them off?

Very much part of the community to troll a bit; if they say “invisible wall ahead” or “jump” most of the time they are just being diddies. You’ll get messages saying “liar ahead” a lot though, so there’s good guys also.

If anyone fancies a no-life overlevelled Demigod as a co-op companion on PC, give me a shout.

I'm having fun running around the starting area of Elden Ring but the only boss I've killed is the one in the wolf cave and I can't see myself getting much further tbh. Never played one of these games before so I should've probably waited but it looks pretty, at least.

I'm having fun running around the starting area of Elden Ring but the only boss I've killed is the one in the wolf cave and I can't see myself getting much further tbh. Never played one of these games before so I should've probably waited but it looks pretty, at least.

Running about is perfectly fine, nothing wrong with overlevelling yourself for the starter areas, especially if it’s your first time with a souls game.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Despite everything I'd seen (which wasn't much tbf) I wasn't really buzzed, I'm fucking buzzed now.

Trying to go into it fairly blind, but that's really good to hear. The limited stuff I read it sounds like it's going back to the sort of format I absolutely loved with GT2/3.  All loaded up and ready to go tomorrow.

15 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Despite everything I'd seen (which wasn't much tbf) I wasn't really buzzed, I'm fucking buzzed now.

I think the Dynamic Weather system looks a fucking brilliant addition. Can see that causing a few heads gone moments. Some folk are worried online won't be much improved but I must say I don't care much about the online here, it's just great to have the traditional style of GT back. I'm just annoyed I can't really afford it this month but I'll be getting it as soon as.