General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

2021 PlayStation Wrap-Up is out, if you let Sony monitor all your data: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/01/20/reflect-on-your-2021-gaming-achievements-with-playstation-2021-wrap-up/

My stats:

1660 hours

1496 hours locally, 164 online

49 games

1. Gran Turismo Sport (306 hours)

2. Rocket League (190 hours)

3. Ace Combat 7 (93 hours)

4. Borderlands (79 hours)

5. Horizon Zero Dawn (76 hours) (very surprised by this)

1541 trophies

(P) 32 (2%)
(G) 107 (7%)

(S) 300 (19%)

(B) 1107 (72%)

29 PS+ games added

Anyone played and recommend Hades?

I'm not one normally for Dungeon crawlers but having listened to a podcast on it, I'm intrigued.

Waypoint were unanimous in it being their game of the year and I think it’s pretty much universally beloved.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

In case anyone is wondering the hollowed out zombified shell that is current year Atari is Infogrames.

I was sure that Atari's owners had died a few times since then.

If the Atari name was a pair of necropants, there'd be very little left by now but the smell.

Incidentally, if anyone else is as nonplussed as me about why NFTs - just, in general, why - one of my favourite YouTube channels just released a mammoth video about them that was something of an eyeopener, and explained why I found the whole thing so nonsensical.

TL;DR - it's a cryptocurrency scam to bring in new money and allow the long-term investors to finally cash out some of their nominal "fortunes".

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

That looks a shambles, they'll obviously be different levels of AI, but having an unbeatable level seems fucking ridiculous, and im guessing even if you tried to copy the ghosts raceline etc, you wouldn't be able to make the constant slight adjustments needed unlike said AI

It's amazing watching what chess players back in the day had to deal with when computers that could play chess came on the scene; this is like that, just more modern. 

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

That looks a shambles, they'll obviously be different levels of AI, but having an unbeatable level seems fucking ridiculous, and im guessing even if you tried to copy the ghosts raceline etc, you wouldn't be able to make the constant slight adjustments needed unlike said AI

There are some caveats to that:

Gran Turismo 7’s “Sophy” Artificial Intelligence Driving System Revealed – GTPlanet

I've not read the full journal article but I've seen bits of it and I could tell watching the inputs during the races - the steering inputs don't have the same delay someone with a wheel or a controller has. If someone using a wheel is steering to the left then to the right the direction doesn't change instantly, there's the time it takes for the wheel to rotate that far. Sophy doesn't have that, which I think is partly how it's able to go into corners so aggressively.

It's also worth pointing out that the races here are all effectively in time trial conditions, with no tyre wear or fuel use which can be affected by the driver and can affect how fast a car can be. An AI could know how fast a car can be on different tyres or differently worn tyres and calculate a strategy accordingly, but I've played and watched enough GT Sport to know in those situations if a car has worn tyres and is going into a corner with two wheels on the grass during entry, it's ending up in a wall. It would be much harder to develop an AI agent in those situations and much easier to race against because humans can and do measure their strategy and car performance with that in mind. 

It's interesting stuff, but wonder how long it'll take some wee nerd to make the AI cry uncle by doing something completely unexpected.  I can't get enough of the genre of videos where you have someone's life's work in the field of AI being boiled down to this incredibly complex robot.  The product of millions of pounds of research, of sheer blood, sweat, tears and genius.  And then it fails to pick up a box and falls down some stairs.  That'll never not be fucking hilarious to me in a sort of Curb Your Enthusiasm-theme schadenfreude kind of way.