General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

That's my 6 month old PS5 controller already caught the dreaded steering issues, thought it was lag at first but after checking it out it's definitely dragging left. I've played my PS5 loads but a 6 month controller lifespan is taking the piss, apparantly it's quite a common issue with the PS5 too. Just came in time for my 2 days off work, new controller set to arrive on Wednesday ... 😂

ETA - I've just reset the controller and now it appears to be working fine. Wtf.

Edited by Stormzy

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

That's my 6 month old PS5 controller already caught the dreaded steering issues, thought it was lag at first but after checking it out it's definitely dragging left. I've played my PS5 loads but a 6 month controller lifespan is taking the piss, apparantly it's quite a common issue with the PS5 too. Just came in time for my 2 days off work, new controller set to arrive on Wednesday ... 😂

ETA - I've just reset the controller and now it appears to be working fine. Wtf.

The amount of pad and console updates already is pretty funny. It's just not good, imo, to be the lead console heading into a new gen because you can just take the piss. I think if Micro somehow recover and take top spot that's when the Game Pass ramps up in price.

That's my 6 month old PS5 controller already caught the dreaded steering issues, thought it was lag at first but after checking it out it's definitely dragging left. I've played my PS5 loads but a 6 month controller lifespan is taking the piss, apparantly it's quite a common issue with the PS5 too. Just came in time for my 2 days off work, new controller set to arrive on Wednesday ... [emoji23]
Not ideal but have you connected it with a wire instead of Bluetooth? I have about 5 PS4 controllers in my house as I thought they were all fucked. Annoyingly it wasn't until I bought the 5th one (and it started playing up about an hour after using it) I discovered that a common problem is poor Bluetooth connection causing lag/the screen to go apeshit as if you're keeping your finger on a toggle button. Since using a wire they have all been fine.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
On 20/06/2021 at 20:28, Stormzy said:
That's my 6 month old PS5 controller already caught the dreaded steering issues, thought it was lag at first but after checking it out it's definitely dragging left. I've played my PS5 loads but a 6 month controller lifespan is taking the piss, apparantly it's quite a common issue with the PS5 too. Just came in time for my 2 days off work, new controller set to arrive on Wednesday ... emoji23.png

Not ideal but have you connected it with a wire instead of Bluetooth? I have about 5 PS4 controllers in my house as I thought they were all fucked. Annoyingly it wasn't until I bought the 5th one (and it started playing up about an hour after using it) I discovered that a common problem is poor Bluetooth connection causing lag/the screen to go apeshit as if you're keeping your finger on a toggle button. Since using a wire they have all been fine.

The new console just isnae up to snuff mate tbh! I've had bizarre errors with the console fully rejecting the TV I'm playing off of alongside weird crashes and save deletes which haven't been an issue on Series X.

Been thinking for a while that Sony and Microsoft aren't built to be the dominant company tbh otherwise they get a bit too full of themselves and rip the piss with the hardware or their expectations.

On 03/06/2021 at 22:38, Stormzy said:

Anyone fucked around with GTA RP? I could never do it myself but have respect for those that do it well. 

I've just watched this for the first time and I'm mind blown how in depth these people go. I think this particular server is meant to be one of the best ones. They actually have a whole societal eco system in place with music artists, record labels, businesses, gangs, lawyers, everything. Utterly mental stuff but compelling at the same time. 

This guy is a decent gaming Youtuber and this series is a brilliant introduction to the crazy world people make. The taxi driver in this could legit be an actual character such is the brilliant acting and commitment. 

I'm now shamefully addicted to watching different GTA RP No Pixel storylines. I'm still surprised every time at the detail that goes in to some of this stuff and the dedication to the act.

6 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

They got really angry when Nano fucked around

That's my YT queue sitting at 26 now for the night! 😂

I've watched a few funny XQC ones of late (he's a bit of a fanny but can be funny) and he basically shoots cops then gets triggered when they catch him, gets super salty accusing everyone of cheating and stream sniping etc then eventually getting banned from the server. He had a brilliant storyline where he would find out when the street races were taking place then he would go up the path and block the routes with lorries and other big vehicles. Absolutley hilarious to hear these guys clearly really pissed off but having to try and keep in character. 

I've probably learned 4 or 5 different nerdy RP terms today from him "maulding" alone. 

I would love to watch Limmy do this and try and keep it relativley serious, he's so funny at voice acting and improv he would be perfect at it but I can't imagine him enjoying it or playing by the rules. 

Being a fan of UK rap the in game music scene is fascinating. They have record labels and stuff, this song would actually make it to my playlist.

Edited by Stormzy

5 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

I think Limmy got burnt by his experience with Rust in terms of enforcing rules and knocked all that on the head. Shame as I agree, a Limmy GTA server would be amazing.

I was just thinking of him on No Pixel or something but him having his own server could be another level. I'm getting carried away now but him playing DeeDee, the recovering junkie lady, Falconhoof running around his own server would be scenes. 

Edited by Stormzy

I played some GTA with Limmy back in the day. Think the worst part is the pure sycophants that surround him. He's normally alright himself for knocking that shite on the head but was still really grating after a couple of days. Was some laugh barrelling up a cliff side one time though and shoving him off to a fiery death then keeping schtum while he asked who did it so he could kick them aff the game.

Edited by NotThePars

On the subject of online gaming RP, there's quite an industry in it outside of GTA.  Half Life's Source engine has spawned what seems like a million of them, and they're all sticklers for the rules.  Fair play to them, but it does make for good viewing for some of the less...balanced ones losing the rag.  There's an Army RP one, basically Half Life skinned to add what seems like British Army versus some facsimile of the Taliban.  And some people take it veeeeery seriously.  I shouldn't really laugh at someone having their hobby effectively ruined, but the guy throws such a terrific tantrum at every opportunity that it's just terrific.  

Anyone been following the Abandoned conspiracies?

The was supposed to be an app for real time trailers released on the 23rd on PS5 but it was delayed to the 25th. A YouTube live stream had a countdown to the release time on the 25th, the devs came out and said it was a fake YouTube page and nothing to do with them. The second it struck zero, the lead guy (who many thought was not a real person, and could still be an actor tbf) released a video saying they have delayed it until August.

If it's not something big and nothing to do with Silent Hill / Kojima then I think they've just completely fucked themselves tbh. Indy dev in over their heads.

Anyone been following the Abandoned conspiracies?
The was supposed to be an app for real time trailers released on the 23rd on PS5 but it was delayed to the 25th. A YouTube live stream had a countdown to the release time on the 25th, the devs came out and said it was a fake YouTube page and nothing to do with them. The second it struck zero, the lead guy (who many thought was not a real person, and could still be an actor tbf) released a video saying they have delayed it until August.

If it's not something big and nothing to do with Silent Hill / Kojima then I think they've just completely fucked themselves tbh. Indy dev in over their heads.

I think it’s as good a confirmation that it’s not a Kojima thing and the gamers as per are covering themselves in glory

I've only tenuously followed it, more just at the level of people thinking it's Silent Hill, then the dev coming out to, bafflingly, prove he's not Hideo Kojima.  Definitely seems like another case of gamers' collective hype boner making something of nothing.  Going to be interesting in future with the rise of non-AAA games how developers deal with communities.  Personally I'd try and avoid saying anything at all.  If you'd gone back ten years and said that having a following of people being unreasonably excited about your product was a bad thing, then you'd be considered mental, but here we are having death threats sent to developers who delay games.  What a time to be alive.

23 minutes ago, forameus said:

I've only tenuously followed it, more just at the level of people thinking it's Silent Hill, then the dev coming out to, bafflingly, prove he's not Hideo Kojima.  Definitely seems like another case of gamers' collective hype boner making something of nothing.  Going to be interesting in future with the rise of non-AAA games how developers deal with communities.  Personally I'd try and avoid saying anything at all.  If you'd gone back ten years and said that having a following of people being unreasonably excited about your product was a bad thing, then you'd be considered mental, but here we are having death threats sent to developers who delay games.  What a time to be alive.

There is zero justification for death threats etc but they are not helping themselves in this particular situation. He had delayed it 2 days previously (it's not even the game, it's a trailer app) and then waited until the second the thing was due out to delay it for 2 whole months. There's no way it's taken them to that point to realise it wasn't ready.

I generally agree with most of what you've said but this guy hopped on the Silent Hill thing and played up to it. That part is his own doing.

14 minutes ago, #Gary said:

There is zero justification for death threats etc but they are not helping themselves in this particular situation. He had delayed it 2 days previously (it's not even the game, it's a trailer app) and then waited until the second the thing was due out to delay it for 2 whole months. There's no way it's taken them to that point to realise it wasn't ready.

I generally agree with most of what you've said but this guy hopped on the Silent Hill thing and played up to it. That part is his own doing.

True.  Developers don't help themselves at times, of course.  I think a lot of them just simply aren't prepared for what they get.  I bring it up a lot, but look at Hello Games with No Man's Sky.  Sean Murray seems an affable guy, obviously a very talented developer, with a very talented team behind him.  But a front-man ready to go out in front of cameras he is not.  He was baited through his own excitement to talk up his product beyond what it could achieve.  Looking at the interviews themselves in isolation, they're fine.  He's absolutely beaming about his baby, and he's incredibly proud of it.  Then to on YouTube and watch those same interviews emotively cut with "SEAN MURRAY LIED" soundbites.  I imagine those early days must've been like looking into the Ark of the Covenant for him, but with less Nazis and more overweight gamers.  

Games have changed.  Used to be that if you wanted to be in the public eye as a developer, you'd likely need to be working at one of the big companies, or have the support of them.  Now you can get single-person teams releasing cult hits without any kind of backing, or PR, or anything really.  And right at the time where entitlement and means-to-abuse are at an all-time-high.

Might look at getting a gaming PC, never had any experience building a PC so probably best stay away from that. Where would be the best place to start looking as I'm a complete beginner to the PC gaming world.

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Might look at getting a gaming PC, never had any experience building a PC so probably best stay away from that. Where would be the best place to start looking as I'm a complete beginner to the PC gaming world.

I used to be a tech, but have been out of the loop for a long time, so I tend to spend a few hours randomly Googling the best parts in my price range; you'll find plenty of opinion/reviews on whichever sites are popular at the time (just don't trust any single one alone), and there are a ton of places these days that will roughly compare the raw power of whichever CPU/video cards you're considering (search for cpu or gpu comparison). There are a variety of places that will build you a custom PC with the parts you want (search 'custom pc builds'); just research them a bit to make sure they're trustworthy. If you buy an off-the-shelf PC, bear in mind that they'll likely have skimped on less attention-grabbing parts like the motherboard and PSU, so look up the parts they're using before you buy in case they're shit.

If building your own PC is of any interest, it's a lot easier to do these days than most people think. YouTube would practically walk you through it, and everything comes with instructions, although it's handy if you know someone with experience that you could pick the brain of if something goes wrong. The benefits are that you'd likely end up with a better machine, and it would be cheaper. Just take your time and get a cheap anti-static mat/wristband combo off eBay, as it's better to be safe than sorry with expensive electronic parts.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

The best place to look is about 3 years ago before everything became hard to get and the prices shot up.

Seriously, though, if you want to buy something off the shelf you'll probably be ok, although you might still have to pay a little more, or wait a little longer. 

I would go for and AMD cpu over intel and and NVIDIA card over AMD but without knowing your budget its hard to give any more detail recommendations.