General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

22 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:
19 hours ago, Mr X said:
I would strongly disagree and agree at the same time.
Massive day 1 patches are a pain in the arse and if modern gaming means online multiplayer then absolutely definitely not!
However, without the internet we wouldnt have user mods or future patches and upgrades

That's a fair enough point. But going back to the OP about Returnal. I just upgraded to a pretty good package on Thursday. It was a 15GB patch that took me about 6 mins. If 15GB is taking 4 hours I'd be getting a new package immediately.

Which is fine if you live somewhere where thats an option. 

That's understandable. However, I'd say (pretty strongly) the majority of the UK has above average Internet speeds. Whether you want to spend that or not is up to the individual. I get 500 up and down for £32 a month but its a very hard to come by company.

10 hours ago, Tri-TON said:
On 01/05/2021 at 13:22, Mr X said:

That's understandable. However, I'd say (pretty strongly) the majority of the UK has above average Internet speeds. Whether you want to spend that or not is up to the individual. I get 500 up and down for £32 a month but its a very hard to come by company.

The majority of the UK definitely dont have above average internet speeds. The vast majority dont get anywhere near 500 down. Its also not up to the individual, it depends on whats available. Theres still a significant amount of people who have no access to anything like the speeds you're talking about without paying for a leased line, which is hundreds of pounds a month.

The average for the UK is 64Mb, which means a significant amount of people get less. Even at that speed, you're probably talking at least an hour for a 15Gb patch.

On 01/05/2021 at 12:58, Tri-TON said:
On 30/04/2021 at 17:40, Mr X said:
I would strongly disagree and agree at the same time.
Massive day 1 patches are a pain in the arse and if modern gaming means online multiplayer then absolutely definitely not!
However, without the internet we wouldnt have user mods or future patches and upgrades

That's a fair enough point. But going back to the OP about Returnal. I just upgraded to a pretty good package on Thursday. It was a 15GB patch that took me about 6 mins. If 15GB is taking 4 hours I'd be getting a new package immediately.

Or I live somewhere with an EO cable and I have the best option available to me?

15 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I don't know if there are any other Giant Bomb fans on here, but Vinny, Brad and Alex have all announced they are leaving this week. End of an era :(

Aye I was coming on to post about that. I wondered what's prompted the exodus. Seen a few grumblings about a buyout or something? Mental to think how long some of them have been going for now. It was a tremendous space for introducing a lot of the best voices in videogames. I think the better former Kotaku writers and Vice Gaming staff all got their beginnings on GB.

Might go back and find stills of Jeff's face when he watched Ben play Kingdom Hearts.

ETA:

Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 11.43.46.png

Edited by NotThePars

Aye I was coming on to post about that. I wondered what's prompted the exodus. Seen a few grumblings about a buyout or something? Mental to think how long some of them have been going for now. It was a tremendous space for introducing a lot of the best voices in videogames. I think the better former Kotaku writers and Vice Gaming staff all got their beginnings on GB.
Might go back and find stills of Jeff's face when he watched Ben play Kingdom Hearts.
ETA:
917724476_Screenshot2021-05-05at11_43_46.thumb.png.a382f1bc38781a60a47d1e128c608923.png
Aye, GB and GameSpot were bought from CBS by a bunch of venture capitalists a few months ago and Abby and Ben left very soon afterwards. I don't know what has triggered the latest three departures, but I hope they are still involved in games media. Jeff is saying he is going to keep GB going, so it'll be fascinating to see what he can do.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
21 minutes ago, NotThePars said:
ETA:
917724476_Screenshot2021-05-05at11_43_46.thumb.png.a382f1bc38781a60a47d1e128c608923.png

Aye, GB and GameSpot were bought from CBS by a bunch of venture capitalists a few months ago and Abby and Ben left very soon afterwards. I don't know what has triggered the latest three departures, but I hope they are still involved in games media. Jeff is saying he is going to keep GB going, so it'll be fascinating to see what he can do.

No reason why they can't keep incubating more good up and coming games journos.

More good content - 

And Jeff face

EgY2LnZUcAYaimw.jpeg

Ended up getting Returnal and...it's actually pretty good.  Not the usual type of game I enjoy, and in the early parts of it the difficulty level is unforgiving, but had a longer run at it last night where I started getting past some of the bits I'd been struggling on, and it's incredibly satisfying.

26 minutes ago, forameus said:

Ended up getting Returnal and...it's actually pretty good.  Not the usual type of game I enjoy, and in the early parts of it the difficulty level is unforgiving, but had a longer run at it last night where I started getting past some of the bits I'd been struggling on, and it's incredibly satisfying.

Tempted to pick it up when it's cheaper and if they patch in some sort of more reasonable save system. Been reading and listening to folk who are being battered by the lack of a quick resume or the PS5's propensity to crash or mess up in rest mode. The runs sound way too long for that sort of thing.

27 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Tempted to pick it up when it's cheaper and if they patch in some sort of more reasonable save system. Been reading and listening to folk who are being battered by the lack of a quick resume or the PS5's propensity to crash or mess up in rest mode. The runs sound way too long for that sort of thing.

I think I'm going to get hit by that later on, so hopefully they do add something.  At the moment I'm so painfully shit at the game that the runs aren't quite as long.  Think my one yesterday was a touch under an hour.

And you're right about cheaper.  New titles are fucking ridiculous now for pricing.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Seymour Flux in Final Fantasy X, f**k me this c**t is impossible to beat. 

That, plus the unskippable 3 minute cut scene before every attempt has me close to patching this game.

Go back to Gagazet and get every aeon's overdrive if you're struggling. They were the biggest boons to beating him for me.

Having Dispel and Hasted characters is useful because I think he casts reflect on himself to launch his Flare attacks. He's also vulnerable to Poison and Silence so Wakka's Silence Buster and, I think, Bio can help stop him using magic and lower his health gradually.

Also Kimahri's Mighty Guard, Rikku's Mixes that cast Shell or just using Shell can protect against Total Annhilation if you can't avoid it.

Anyway, good luck! It's at least the second hardest non-optional boss fight in the game.

47 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Thanks. I'm already doing most of that, I can get down to near the end then he just one-hits my party with Total-Anhilliation. Might need to try swapping in an aeon to take the hit for it. 

I've not been bothering with Haste or anything because he just uses Dispell instantly. I've actually been Hasting Seymour because it puts the combo moves off kilter with the wee Miotrocos thing or whatever its called, and deals more poison damage to him. 

The cut scene before every try is the worst part tbh. Absolute pain in the hole 

Aye I still get flash backs to the cut scene. I last played that battle maybe two years and I still mind Rikku bowing, looking up, seeing Seymour and exclaiming because I had to rewatch it a dozen fucking times.

Aeons generally make the game much easier. If you save Bahamut for near the end then his Mega Flare has the ability to break damage limit. That fight is maybe the most difficult tho and if you get through you've only got one other three stage boss fight that will cause you any significant (and ofc it's another with an annoying fucking cut scene before).

Edited by NotThePars