General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

What so you see RDR2 and its 50 quid and you just buy it?

An assortment of Tesco vouchers meant I got that for ~£20 when it came out. I still haven't played it.

I don't buy games at release or full price. I have a large backlog and an assortment of games I still play in regular rotation, so there's no point in buying stuff immediately. I look at sales and prices regularly enough to know how much things I'm interested cost. If something interesting I hadn't thought about pops up in a sale then the price I'd be willing to pay for varies - Inside and Guacamelee 2 were <£4 in a recent PSN sale, while God of War with a fancy Only on PlayStation sleeve was 7.99 as mentioned above, so I took a punt.

I suppose a better answer to your question would be "below £20" for physical, "below £8" for digital. 

God Of War was, in my opinion (IMO), a much more enjoyable experience than RDR2. It's more linear and the "open world" is significantly less daunting. 

Still plodding along on Horizon Zero Dawn - I must have clocked in more than 80 hours on it over two or three months. Like RDR2 there's been times when I've really engaged with it, yet long chunks of time when I can't really be arsed going back into it and finishing it all off. I think I've only got two main story missions left but I've detoured onto the Frozen Wilds expansion and finishing off any little side quests. A really good story, and I like Aloy as a character, but there's something missing from it. A thoroughly enjoyable game for the most part though. 

I still need to finish off Spider-Man but it was a really fun game once I got into it. I didn't want to rush it which meant me putting it away for a couple of weeks, which then turned into months.

Picked up Ratchet & Clank last month and it remains unopened and uninstalled. 

On 28/11/2020 at 08:12, MixuFruit said:
Here's a question: how much are you willing to drop on a game when you're not sure if you'll like it, or you don't know much about it?
I used to think 15 quid if the setting appealed to me, but I'm much tighter now, I would probably only spend a fiver now. I blame steam/gog bloat and lack of QC.

Under 20 quid

ETA: actually to elaborate on this so I don't buy most of the games I play anymore because Game Pass has largely resolved the issue of buying a game I'm not sure I'm willing to spend money on. That's how I've ended up playing, and enjoying, Gears Tactics, Metro Exodus, or Outer Wilds and maybe had more positive takes on them as I didn't have to shell out cash for them. 

Most of the games I actually buy these days at least at full price are Sony exclusives as I'm interested in playing them soon especially if they're part of the zeigeist but they're also games I'm not sure I'm going to love. I got Persona 5 Royal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and The Last of Us 2 at launch and loved two of them despite not knowing much about them. That I knew they were interesting narratively in some way or inspiring a host of takes was a motivation to buy them and see them for myself. The stuff I normally spend money on that's below 20 quid are Ubisoft titles or other fairly established AAA series that maybe don't rock the boat in any particular way.

Edited by NotThePars

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

An assortment of Tesco vouchers meant I got that for ~£20 when it came out. I still haven't played it.

I don't buy games at release or full price. I have a large backlog and an assortment of games I still play in regular rotation, so there's no point in buying stuff immediately. I look at sales and prices regularly enough to know how much things I'm interested cost. If something interesting I hadn't thought about pops up in a sale then the price I'd be willing to pay for varies - Inside and Guacamelee 2 were <£4 in a recent PSN sale, while God of War with a fancy Only on PlayStation sleeve was 7.99 as mentioned above, so I took a punt.

I suppose a better answer to your question would be "below £20" for physical, "below £8" for digital. 

Actually I realised I was answering a different question to the one you asked, so here is what I've bought this year and what it cost me and why I bought them. Prices are from PSPrices and are estimates based on when I think I got them

Jak & Daxter Collection - the three main games plus Jak X, this periodically pops up in sales so I finally went for it. Seems to be around the £12 mark when it's on sale, for four games that I love.

Defunct - a thing that looks like Wall-E meets Sonic the Hedgehog, looks vaguely interesting and was on sale for 19p.

Wheels of Aurelia - Always nice to have a walking simulator and why not a driving simulator, £2.49

Pixeljunk Monsters 2 - bought the Deluxe Edition of this for £2.69. I enjoyed the first one and some of the other Pixeljunk games on PS3, I remember this was the only thing in this year's Big in Japan sale that looked worth it

Xenon Racer - I think I paid £4.49 for this which is annoying because it's been lower since, plus the normal price of £35 is genuinely embarrassing for the amount of content.

Dear Esther - £2.something, not sure

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition - Seems likely I paid £2.87, which is lower than I remember. I should have had this via PS+ years ago, but that's a reasonable price for something I enjoyed on PS3 and for another reason which will come up soon...

Beach Buggy Racing/Riptide GP2/Riptide GP Renegade - Mobile port shite that was on sale as a group for £3.99. A bargain measured against the time put in tbh

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition - Frequently goes on sale for £3.99, and I hadn't played the DLC before. Hasn't aged well.

Far Cry 3 Classic Edition - Was on sale for £2.49 for some reason, wasn't passing that up.

Dirt Rally - £2.39 in a PS+ sale. See Far Cry.

Dirt 4 - £4.99 and tedious, tedious, tedious, but still good value vs. time put in

Need for Speed - £3.19 bought on a whim to have something else racey in the library. Didn't realise it was online only. Deluxe Edition popped up in the next sale for £3.99. We all make mistakes.

Inside - I bought this recently after feeling like it was finally at an acceptable price and after checking that seems to be the case, finally dropping to £3.99 after years of being on sale for £5-odd. Some brass neck with its normal price of £15.99.

Guacamelee 2 - Bought the complete edition on sale right now for £4.49. Combine that with the STCE above and you get a price much lower than £24.99, which a physical version of the two currently sells for on Amazon. Discounted for Black Friday. 

I've bought five things physically this year, unless I'm forgetting something:

Assetto Corsa Competizione - I wanted this when it came out, and £34.99 for the most realistic driving physics on console was still worth it at the time, despite the game's many flaws. The DLC that's come out since is extortionate and it's still bugged, but I knew I wasn't getting perfection.

Tower of Guns - This is a randomly generated FPS I've already played on PS3 and PS4 after getting it with PlayStation Plus. I didn't realise it was also a physical release and bought this purely out of amazement as much as anything else. It's a steelbook edition. Think it was £10 or so.

Medievil - I want to play this soon for reasons from another forum. Think it's usually on sale digitally for £12-odd, I paid £16.32 from Amazon.

Bayonetta/Vanquish was 14.99 and God of War was 7.99, I bought those from Game yesterday. I've since been telling myself not to go and get Horizon and the Arkane collection from the same place.

On the whole I don't really like paying more than a fiver for something digital, even if it's something I could put 30+ hours into. I have a half-baked romantic notion of having a good collection of games so don't mind paying a bit more for physical, probably because I know I then have it and will always have it. Since I now have everything I definitely intend to play on PS4, I'm loathe to go over £20 unless something interesting catches my eye. With the amount of things I have in my backlog (both bought and free from PS+) I don't need to buy a game immediately, and anything I am interested in I can monitor and get it once it's at a price I'm willing to pay.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently acquired Spyro Reignited. 

Trying to 100% the games.

Spyro 1 was amazing the other 2, not so much but overall I'm really enjoying them, I love playing games I used to play as a child and realising I never actually got past the first levels. 

Just got my PS5 through the door. Waiting til Christmas to crack it open, I'm going to get Valhalla, Fifa, Cyberpunk to start with, thinking about spiderman, I haven't played one for years, can someone explain to me if Miles Morales is a separate game or the latest one? I thought it was a spin off or something. 

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Just got my PS5 through the door. Waiting til Christmas to crack it open, I'm going to get Valhalla, Fifa, Cyberpunk to start with, thinking about spiderman, I haven't played one for years, can someone explain to me if Miles Morales is a separate game or the latest one? I thought it was a spin off or something. 

Started off as an expansion but was made a standalone title. Think it takes about 15 hours to finish. 

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Started off as an expansion but was made a standalone title. Think it takes about 15 hours to finish. 

So I should buy regular spiderman then if I enjoy it get morales? 

I expect both games will have same gameplay dynamics but you got introduced to Myles in the last game and got a good bit of his back story so it'd be worth it for that but I doubt you'd be missing much - story wise - if you chose not to. Though it was a decent game so worth playing for that reason alone.

24 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Depends how much time you're wanting out of it although I think there's QOL improvements in Miles Morales that might make the original feel a bit worse

Been playing through Detroit Being Human for the first time lately. Nearing the end, I think... the game is pleasantly surprisingly long. Brilliant game I'd love to play it again to try and not f**k up everything but don't think I have it in me.