General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Aye agreed @Miguel Sanchez, I enjoyed Dirt 1 & 2. I also enjoyed GRID a lot as well, GRID 2 less so because of the shite career mode and bad online mode.

There's actually no good reason other than money why the same racing and content from GRID and Dirt franchises should be separate. They should just be the one game at this point.

For me I can't remember ever enjoying a racing sim as much as Gran Turismo 3 for PS2. Tons of racing classes including rally, test tracks, a solid career mode with a proper sense of progression where you have to earn different licences, qualification sessions, the ability to actually fine tune and modify the cars you already had, tyre and fuel management in longer races. It's only when you play the new Codemasters stuff that you realise how pish these games are compared to even the PS2 era on a pound-for-pound basis.

I get that none of the above are meant to be hardcore sims instead of arcade racers but I think the point stands.

15 hours ago, G51 said:

Anyone played AC: Valhalla yet?

I picked it up, wee bit into it and so far it's... okay? It's a fun enough game by itself, but it feels like a step back compared to Odyssey.

Aye I'm about 10 hours in. I'm enjoying it but it's a mess, isn't it? I haven't a clue what's going on half the time even if I'm having fun while I'm raiding or running about looking for stuff.

Chatting to my mate who's playing it as well and we both agreed that a lot of the time we can't work out if something is just deliberately obtuse or confusing or if the game's bugged.

Edited by NotThePars

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Aye I'm about 10 hours in. I'm enjoying it but it's a mess, isn't it? I haven't a clue what's going on half the time even if I'm having fun while I'm raiding or running about looking for stuff.

Chatting to my mate who's playing it as well and we both agreed that a lot of the time we can't work out if something is just deliberately obtuse or confusing or if the game's bugged.

Aye that's pretty close to how I feel on it. The storyline doesn't really work - it's confused and it's hard to get invested in it.

One of my favourite things in Odyssey was being able to take out a whole fort using assassination, but because you can't tag folk with the Raven anymore that's really impossible (the Odins vision thing doesn't work anywhere near as well).

Was always going to be tough to make the Viking narrative fit with skulking about assassinating people, since that wasn't really their thing. But so far I don't think it works that well.

It's still a fun game though. Just not as good as Odyssey or Origins.

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Aye that's pretty close to how I feel on it. The storyline doesn't really work - it's confused and it's hard to get invested in it.

One of my favourite things in Odyssey was being able to take out a whole fort using assassination, but because you can't tag folk with the Raven anymore that's really impossible (the Odins vision thing doesn't work anywhere near as well).

Was always going to be tough to make the Viking narrative fit with skulking about assassinating people, since that wasn't really their thing. But so far I don't think it works that well.

It's still a fun game though. Just not as good as Odyssey or Origins.

I've seen people say that Eivor feels like a bigger part of the world than Kassandra and her story was but I haven't played enough to say.

I think a big problem with this game's writing is that each game they get (consciously) ever closer in aesthetic to The Witcher 3 and Valhalla's England could literally be The Witcher's Continent in how it looks which means that people are going to compare this game's writing, quests and world building inevitably negatively to CDPR.

I'm surprised there wasn't a tension between the two like what they do in Ghost of Tsushima although that game has a power of problems in trying to criticise you for being dishonourable while you're doing objectively cool 20 foot dives on top of unsuspecting Mongols.

Yeah, I think I agree with that. Odyssey was my favourite to actually play and Origins had the best writing of maybe any Ubisoft game. I don't think this will come close to either but there's still a ton of time. 

Edited by NotThePars

On 14/11/2020 at 12:37, NotThePars said:

Spiffing Brit had an infinite silver video out the other day - a couple of the npcs for drinking games are repeatable. I was actually going to get the game but this video put me off. 

28 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Spiffing Brit had an infinite silver video out the other day - a couple of the npcs for drinking games are repeatable. I was actually going to get the game but this video put me off. 

It's fine. I'm an AC fan in spite of everything but, aye, it's probably worth waiting for it to drop a bit in price. I've already seen Watchdog: Legions on the Xbox store for under 40 quid and it's only been out for about 3 weeks.

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's fine. I'm an AC fan in spite of everything but, aye, it's probably worth waiting for it to drop a bit in price. I've already seen Watchdog: Legions on the Xbox store for under 40 quid and it's only been out for about 3 weeks.

Yeah I'm sorely tempted by that, but I think it's going to be cyberpunk. I still have Mount and Banner Lord, Baldur's Gate 3,Hell Let Loose and Squad to properly sink my teeth into, but I still need something new, but can't justify even 2 out of AC, watchdog and cyberpunk

Just come out the other side of a 5 year hardcore fifa addiction and have discovered there's a billion excellent games on the market. 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Yeah I'm sorely tempted by that, but I think it's going to be cyberpunk. I still have Mount and Banner Lord, Baldur's Gate 3,Hell Let Loose and Squad to properly sink my teeth into, but I still need something new, but can't justify even 2 out of AC, watchdog and cyberpunk

Just come out the other side of a 5 year hardcore fifa addiction and have discovered there's a billion excellent games on the market. 

Oh you've missed a ton of good shit if you're going back to 2015-6. 

Cyberpunk is going to be a solid 7/10, I reckon. The developers don't appear to understand the concept at all lol.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What do you mean?

I know cyberpunk is generally dismissed as style over substance but there's a lot of radical politics and commentary in the premise that frequently appears to be missing in the promo stuff for the game. They might still pull it off tbf, as there's tons of games which have rubbish marketing and stick the landing but I'm not that too confident. Especially since the recent gameplay stuff makes it look like a GTA clone.