General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Played a bit of the Avengers beta this weekend. Might be fun in a few years for £10 (probably as much chance of finding other players then as there is now) but I feel like I've already experienced everything there is to offer and I don't have high hopes for the single player given the format they're going for.

The mission design is like the shite parts of the Uncharted games mixed with some bad things from some the Amazing Spider-Man games, and it really just feels dull and lazy.

I can see how it might be fun online (playing with three AI companions just felt like playing with none) but the beta doesn't give the impression that it's anything more than a game you'll play for a week and then completely forget about.

15 hours ago, Snafu said:

Playing Far Cry Primal again and discovered a glitch that has probably been left in by the designers. In the south west of the map standing on the edge of a cliff near a grapple (I wish I noted the exact location) I crouched watching some carnage about some 60 feet below as you do in this game or any Far Cry games , perfectly normal, when my sabre tooth decides to fall to its death, first I thought it wasn't mine because the blue creature symbol was right besides me and this was just an attacker who messed up. The sabre tooth then fell of the cliff, then again, and again until there was about six sabre tooths at the foot of the cliff to harvest all this loot windfall. this is like the burning horse trap at a crossroads in Red Dead 2 where the animals keep spawning then bursting into flames for no reason at that particular location. So I dropped down and couldn't interact with them and then they started disappearing in the order they fell. Not disappointed, I found it interesting as this was the first real glitch I've come across in this game.

A few years ago playing this game I managed to get outside the game map exiting close to the Wenja village into areas partially developed, with lots of hills and mountains. I must try this again I can't remember if I fell eventually fell through the map and got pinged back inside the game. I'll take some screen shots and post them if I do.

Looking forward to the incoming Far Cry 6.

Started playing 3 again as it was on sale. Truly awesome game. Burning the Marijuana crops is very enjoyable. 

7 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Started playing 3 again as it was on sale. Truly awesome game. Burning the Marijuana crops is very enjoyable. 

That's the only one I've played, thought it was very good.  Surprised to see the franchise  getting a hard time on here.

WB Montreal apparently announcing a new Batman game later today.

Unclear if it will be an extension of the Arkham franchise or set in a new universe, but set to centre around the Court of Owls which is one of the best Batman stories OAT in my opinion.

Could be one of the bigger titles to kick off next-gen consoles.

19 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The Freedom Force games were awesome.
Chucking cars at dinosaurs. Good times to be had.

I wonder if they work on Windows 10. I might fire that up.

They were one of the first things I got on Steam and have never played them. Have been interested since I realised that Ken Levine of System Shock 2/Bioshock fame was behind them.

Lot of people complaining about the Steam version being buggy on modern machines. Maybe see what the GOG version is like?

27 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

@BigFatTabbyDave what the heck is going on at VTM:B2?

Was Brian Mitsoda not accused of sexual harassment or something recently?

I could be getting confused with someone else, right enough. Seems like the games industry is full of creepy predators who've been allowed to do whatever they fancy.

Edit: hmm, doesn't look like it. f**k knows. Fire writer of original game, and replace with consultant on generic Ubisoft games. Looks like my £150 has been well spent!  :lol:

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

11 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Was Brian Mitsoda not accused of sexual harassment or something recently?

I could be getting confused with someone else, right enough. Seems like the games industry is full of creepy predators who've been allowed to do whatever they fancy.

Edit: hmm, doesn't look like it. f**k knows. Fire writer of original game, and replace with consultant on generic Ubisoft games. Looks like my £150 has been well spent!  :lol:

I think there was a Discord meeting where Paradox confirmed it wasn't for sus shit just creative differences. It's weird with the timing. I actually bought the first one on Switch fairly recently but haven't started playing yet as I think Persona is gonna be my main obsession for a while longer. The writing team they assembled for the sequel looked unbeatable though.

On 18/08/2020 at 14:27, AMMjag said:

WB Montreal apparently announcing a new Batman game later today.

Unclear if it will be an extension of the Arkham franchise or set in a new universe, but set to centre around the Court of Owls which is one of the best Batman stories OAT in my opinion.

Could be one of the bigger titles to kick off next-gen consoles.

It seems like they are going down the games as a service route rather than a purely single player game.

10 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It seems like they are going down the games as a service route rather than a purely single player game.

Infuriating; this is what the nonsense Suicide Squad franchise is for.

I'll just be playing the Arkham games on loop until the end of time.

I like the idea of a "Bat family" game with no Batman tbh - hopefully he stays out of it as a playable character, although he's obvs not dead. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to be live service, just has potential to be grindy af.

Suicide Squad would be interesting if it wasn't a GaaS.

On 21/08/2020 at 21:18, Empty It said:

Just finished the first episode of Highscore on Netflix, thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably binge the rest tomorrow.

I've watched the last two episodes (The Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat one and the 3D one, AKA the Doom and Starfox one).

Loved them. Some great details about Mortal Kombat, specifically Johnny Cage. Was very interesting to see the real places the stage designed for Street Fighter 2 used as influences when designing the stages.

Edited by DA Baracus

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone get through Death Stranding?  I saw it on sale and picked it up as it always intrigued me and...well, it's fascinating in a really odd way.  It really shouldn't work, but there's something about it.  I do wonder for those that might have got further through it, do the mechanics change up at all?  It hasn't got old yet and they're adding in enough little touches to make it fresh, but I'm only a few hours in.

On 22/08/2020 at 18:59, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Games like this where the point of it is to grind until the servers die absolutely bore the shit out of me.