General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
If it's an open-world game made by Ubisoft it's a pretty easy call to avoid it, really.

Hardly. AC and Far Cry are a mixed bag but when they have got it right in those franchises they've produced some cracking titles. Watch Dogs were fine games, the first just suffered from being overhyped IMO. Still decent games to pass a few hours without being GOTY contenders.

Churning out virtually identical timesinks across different franchises and ramming them full to the brim with microtransactions aren't right, cracking or decent at all.

Churning out virtually identical timesinks across different franchises and ramming them full to the brim with microtransactions aren't right, cracking or decent at all.
ACII, Black Flag, Far Cry 4 and Far Cry 5 are at the very least "decent". Ubisoft are notorious for the repetitiveness of a lot of side quests but it's not hard to avoid doing them. It depends how interested you are in going for 100% (something I rarely do). The main stories in those titles are fine and enjoyable.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 hours ago, Doctor said:
Its just looks like the same bland 3rd person action game that you love to mop up. It's like a Days Gone or whatever the latest (ass)assins creed game is: serviceable but totally uninteresting 

I'll ask you again Ramma: what do you consider a good game, considering you spend all your time in the gaming section complaining about games.

Doctor is RammaJamma (possible sp)?  Wasn't he the wean who lashed out at anyone who wasn't playing anything released in the last six months?

Doctor is RammaJamma (possible sp)?  Wasn't he the wean who lashed out at anyone who wasn't playing anything released in the last six months?
Would put good money on it. Refuse to believe there are two separate posters who go into a gaming forum who appear to hate games.

22 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
47 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Would put good money on it. Refuse to believe there are two separate posters who go into a gaming forum who appear to hate games.

I dunno. The main reason I avoid reading user comments on anything to do with games is because there appear to be thousands of them.

Either that, or a few who are very, very busy.

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

This makes no sense

I felt 2 was way more clunky, possibly due to the performance of my laptop but also the control system. 

1 was far simple with the controls but making play through the story much easier. I also enjoyed the story telling in the 1st more, although I wouldn't argue too strongly. I still loved the 2nd. 

Witcher 1 was on an old Frostbite (?) engine so they just made do with it because they had a small team and no money. Witcher 2 was CDPR's first homemade game engine so while it did have problems (not least being nigthtmarish to run on anything above medium settings) it was clearly still an excellent game and visually stunning. Witcher 3 was just the polished version that everyone knows and probably sick of hearing praise for.

High hopes for Cyberpunk whenever they manage to get that out.

Back in Witcher 3, I've only just got to the Bloody Baron after the first meeting with the Crones of the bog and Keira. Have to say that with knowing the full story behind everything thus far it's already been a much, MUCH happier experience than the cold jump in the first time. Even subtle little things like one of the books in the Crones hut 

Spoiler

where it mentions the vampire Regis, one of the most interesting characters Geralt comes across in the novels. Absolutely love little nods like that.

Even giving Gwent a strong go this time round after playing it via Gog a while ago. Really well thought out game. 

I decided to give the Tomb Raider game that is free with PS Plus a go. I haven’t played it yet but spent this afternoon downloading that and then browsing for others to try. Will still probably get Horizon Zero Dawn because it is only £15 but any other game I had previously considered seems to be full price (Outer Worlds being one).

Apologies if it is in a separate thread but are either of the following two games any decent? One is Spider-Man and I’ve had it on my ‘maybe’ list since it came out. The other is Control. Had heard of it but didn’t know anything about it. Then I watched a review video and on the face of it the game looks very interesting/a total mindfuck. That is on offer too at the moment (Spider-Man isn’t)

I decided to give the Tomb Raider game that is free with PS Plus a go. I haven’t played it yet but spent this afternoon downloading that and then browsing for others to try. Will still probably get Horizon Zero Dawn because it is only £15 but any other game I had previously considered seems to be full price (Outer Worlds being one).

Apologies if it is in a separate thread but are either of the following two games any decent? One is Spider-Man and I’ve had it on my ‘maybe’ list since it came out. The other is Control. Had heard of it but didn’t know anything about it. Then I watched a review video and on the face of it the game looks very interesting/a total mindfuck. That is on offer too at the moment (Spider-Man isn’t)
Spiderman has just come off offer. Its also on my maybe list

Spiderman has just come off offer. Its also on my maybe list

Yeah for months I thought about and it always seemed to be reduced. Kept putting it off. Typical that I now have nothing to play and it’s back up in price.

21 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Spider-Man is one of the must play PS4 exclusives, imo. Story is good with some problems and some good decision making (setting it years after the origin story being one) with a ton of good performances in it. Controlling Spidey is as close to perfect as I could expect from the game. I never felt like he was doing something I didn't want him to do and you're given a ton of choices in how to approach combat and stealth. The only gameplay letdown is some mandatory stealth sections involving other characters but that's about it.

If you can get Control on offer then I would recommend it. It's got a cool vibe of the supernatural is ordinary and subject to bureaucracy in a weird building that's clearly off but everyone around you just accepts it. It's made by the same folk who made Quantum Break and Alan Wake which I haven't played but I know have a cult following. From what I've read it plays a lot better than those games and in my experience the game play is fine. It's not as enjoyable or satisfying as Spider-Man or some other games but it's fun and the powers you can acquire keep the game flowing with enough forward momentum that you can stick with what is a cool story. There's a few problems with frame rate drops, a lot of backtracking and enemies repeatedly respawning in those areas you have to backtrack through but I enjoyed it. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Spider-Man is one of the must play PS4 exclusives, imo. Story is good with some problems and some good decision making (setting it years after the origin story being one) with a ton of good performances in it. Controlling Spidey is as close to perfect as I could expect from the game. I never felt like he was doing something I didn't want him to do and you're given a ton of choices in how to approach combat and stealth. The only gameplay letdown is some mandatory stealth sections involving other characters but that's about it.

If you can get Control on offer then I would recommend it. It's got a cool vibe of the supernatural is ordinary and subject to bureaucracy in a weird building that's clearly off but everyone around you just accepts it. It's made by the same folk who made Quantum Break and Alan Wake which I haven't played but I know have a cult following. From what I've read it plays a lot better than those games and in my experience the game play is fine. It's not as enjoyable or satisfying as Spider-Man or some other games but it's fun and the powers you can acquire keep the game flowing with enough forward momentum that you can stick with what is a cool story. There's a few problems with frame rate drops, a lot of backtracking and enemies repeatedly respawning in those areas you have to backtrack through but I enjoyed it. 

Cheers for that, much appreciated.

Spider man is brilliant, probably the most well done superhero game of recent memory, its got a ton of cool suits, the movement feels incredible, the combat is snappy, it really nails the character on top of just being a fun time. It doesn't overstay its welcome either, I bought it at launch, beat it within a week or two and sold it for about a quid less than I paid. I'd easily recommend it.

Controls a bit stranger. Remedy always feel like they can't quite nail the smoothness of how their games control (no pun intended) but its got an intriguing story and the powers you get prop up an otherwise quite tame shooter. I'd recommend playing it on rental or when it goes down in price.

On 08/07/2020 at 16:34, Doctor said:

Spider man is brilliant, probably the most well done superhero game of recent memory, its got a ton of cool suits, the movement feels incredible, the combat is snappy, it really nails the character on top of just being a fun time. It doesn't overstay its welcome either, I bought it at launch, beat it within a week or two and sold it for about a quid less than I paid. I'd easily recommend it.

Controls a bit stranger. Remedy always feel like they can't quite nail the smoothness of how their games control (no pun intended) but its got an intriguing story and the powers you get prop up an otherwise quite tame shooter. I'd recommend playing it on rental or when it goes down in price.

The framerate drops in Control are genuinely off-putting at points and makes the game look like the first Mass Effect which is strange cause it normally looks great.