General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Which should I buy? PES or Fifa? 

I don't want to play online, just on my own and if either have had someone create Scottish Championship teams I'd be all over it.  Just want to play a few games every now and then. 

I don't want to play online, just on my own and if either have had someone create Scottish Championship teams I'd be all over it.  Just want to play a few games every now and then. 

That's a minefield question. Short answer, if you want a game where you can waltz through opponents with ease and score fancy goals with finesse* then get Fifa. If you want a game where you have to work hard for a goal and it feels like you've earned it when it comes then get PES.

* Dunno if that shite is still on the new one tbf.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Neither are fun.

FIFA is too arcadey and is infuriating. PES is just boring as f**k.

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Great, I'm away to fish out a copy of This Is Football for the PS1.

This Is Football 2003 is the best footballing game ever, IMO.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Canny score a goal type post...

I could tbf, its just so dull. It's a better representation of football than FIFA, but you're sitting for 2 hours a night just mashing the pass button.

And frankly, its horrendously presented. Hasnt moved on since the early 00s.

I could tbf, its just so dull. It's a better representation of football than FIFA, but you're sitting for 2 hours a night just mashing the pass button.
And frankly, its horrendously presented. Hasnt moved on since the early 00s.
I haven't played it as religiously as I once did tbf. But it's definitely moved on from that time. Pro was always the superior game but it lost it's way early 2000's and Fifa 'got in'. They've managed to keep the majority of their custom because a lot of the fanboys don't have the patience for Pro.

A few years ago Pro drastically changed and was right back up there again (can't remember the exact title but it was 3/4 years ago. I've found this one to be a bit harder than last years.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I haven't played it as religiously as I once did tbf. But it's definitely moved on from that time. 

Just meant in terms of interface.

1479482669-media-1280x720.thumb.jpg.a8943c13bd9adbcb47f18cb147bafce1.jpg

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f417a755655314e2e676966.gif.e94190551d32dffd7cb67196dc3befc3.gif

Its genuinely horrendous and exactly what I remember from their games a decade ago.

Boring gameplay + Dreadful visuals = Poor game. 

FIFA has far worse gameplay in terms of issues, but actually looks professionally made. Rightly or wrongly it makes a difference, and if PES doesnt improve massive for the launch of the fourth generation games then theyll continue to struggle to truly get on top.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just meant in terms of interface.

1479482669-media-1280x720.thumb.jpg.a8943c13bd9adbcb47f18cb147bafce1.jpg

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f417a755655314e2e676966.gif.e94190551d32dffd7cb67196dc3befc3.gif

Its genuinely horrendous and exactly what I remember from their games a decade ago.

Boring gameplay + Dreadful visuals = Poor game. 

FIFA has far worse gameplay in terms of issues, but actually looks professionally made. Rightly or wrongly it makes a difference, and if PES doesnt improve massive for the launch of the fourth generation games then theyll continue to struggle to truly get on top.

I'd still put FIFA ahead in all respects to be honest.  FIFA's gameplay has definite flaws, but so does PES in my opinion.  They're just different kinds of shit.

Presentation, obviously EA are better.  And licenses.  And their cash cow elements.  I'm not sure Konami have it in them to really compete.  It's like EA were against SI with their management games.  Honestly wouldn't be surprised on a long enough timeline if Konami just give up completely like EA did.  Maybe they're just hoping that EA will f**k it for themselves in a way that SI didn't.

PES was better for many years and absolutely owned the PS2 era, but they've just stagnated since then. No surprise really. Silent Hill is another major franchise that Konami doesn't care about. Massive amounts of money to be made there, but no, they keep on releasing slot reel versions.

maxresdefault.jpg

11 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

if you don't want to play online , pick up Fifa 17 or 18. Both will be as cheap as chips and from memory played better than the current iteration.

Edited by mrpaddyx

Great, I'm away to fish out a copy of This Is Football for the PS1.
Adidas power soccer surely

Did they not try a first person football game on the PS1 or am I lockdown looney

Adidas power soccer surely

Did they not try a first person football game on the PS1 or am I lockdown looney
Power Soccer '98 was the first football game I played on PlayStation. Absolutely awful. A lot of the time was spent trying to actually get possession of the ball. Both you and your opponent (if it wasn't AI) would be dancing around the ball. Absolutely mental. I remember '97 with the goal like bricks.

'98 did have an incredible opening scene for the time with a belter of a tune.

Liberogrando or something. Was fucking horrendous but a great idea.
That's the one, remember getting all excited on the concept and when played it was only brief before I wondered what the actual eff was that.
One of the few rentals from blockbusters that didn't happen to appear in my games collection prior to returning it, waste of a cd...