General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Age of Empires 4 is now out.
I really enjoyed playing the first and second AoE game when I was younger. The third one, I think I played for an hour and decided it was gash.
Thankfully this seems more like the second.
I remember spending hours playing Age Of Mythology

16 hours ago, Empty It said:
On 29/10/2021 at 13:01, Richey Edwards said:
Age of Empires 4 is now out.
I really enjoyed playing the first and second AoE game when I was younger. The third one, I think I played for an hour and decided it was gash.
Thankfully this seems more like the second.

I remember spending hours playing Age Of Mythology

I never played Age of Mythology, but I sank many hours of my childhood into Age Of Empires and it's Rise Of Rome expansion - including building random scenarios in the scenario builder and making my own campaigns.

I also seriously loved AoE2. I had an interest in history when I was younger (and still do). The main catalyst for me developing that interest was playing the AOE games.

BTW - does anyone remember the Braveheart PC game? It was a strategy game akin to the Total War games. I had it years ago. I very much doubt that it has aged well. 

37 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

BTW - does anyone remember the Braveheart PC game? It was a strategy game akin to the Total War games. I had it years ago. I very much doubt that it has aged well. 

It appears to be abandonware these days. Surprisingly cheap to pick up a used copy, though, for folk who don't like dodgy downloads. I have a vague memory that it got some mild praise for doing some new things. I've never got into the RTS genre, but I do remember trying it twenty-odd years ago and getting my arse handed to me; I'm sure you could choose to base yourself in Alloa.

I've been meaning to try the RTS based on the War of the Worlds musical too. I seem to remember reading that the best strategy was to immediately abandon Scotland to the Martians, which sounds about right  :lol:

I never played Age of Mythology, but I sank many hours of my childhood into Age Of Empires and it's Rise Of Rome expansion - including building random scenarios in the scenario builder and making my own campaigns.
I also seriously loved AoE2. I had an interest in history when I was younger (and still do). The main catalyst for me developing that interest was playing the AOE games.

I had something that was a Scottish style Command and Conqueror. Can't mind the name.

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I had something that was a Scottish style Command and Conqueror. Can't mind the name.

I'd love to know what the factions were in that.

There was some sort of football hooliganism RTS years ago. Don't think it had anything to do with Scotland, but just imagine. Finally, a league Clyde would finish top of!

The Rangers, of course, would be represented by the Chelsea Headhunters.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

It appears to be abandonware these days. Surprisingly cheap to pick up a used copy, though, for folk who don't like dodgy downloads. I have a vague memory that it got some mild praise for doing some new things. I've never got into the RTS genre, but I do remember trying it twenty-odd years ago and getting my arse handed to me; I'm sure you could choose to base yourself in Alloa.

Yeah, the first part of the game consisted of choosing a clan and trying to win the Scottish throne. Once you'd done that, the second part of the game was an invasion of England.

I was playing Metro Exodus over the weekend - sunk a good 9-10 hours into it and was getting to the stage where I was really getting into it but thinking of chucking it to head to my kip when I get the famous CE-34878-0 error. 

Tried the back up save file to see if I could rescue it but it was gone and I was absolutely fuming - tried the old system update in case that was the issue but no joy. 

Don't really want to go back into it for it to crash again so going to chuck it which is disappointing. 

Bought Witcher 2 enhanced edition for £2.50 or there abouts.

First impressions? Controls are really annoying. Graphics a mile better and it feels far more like The Witcher character from the books. Even this early on it just seems to be richer and more complex. Buggy as hell though. Annoyingly you can become trapped in a walking cycle and it's a game breaker. Nothing to do but load your last save.

14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Bought Witcher 2 enhanced edition for £2.50 or there abouts.

First impressions? Controls are really annoying. Graphics a mile better and it feels far more like The Witcher character from the books. Even this early on it just seems to be richer and more complex. Buggy as hell though. Annoyingly you can become trapped in a walking cycle and it's a game breaker. Nothing to do but load your last save.

Did you ever try the mods for (and even bother finishing) the first game?

No spoilers for #2 please - I've had it since it came out and I swear I'll get past the opening one day.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Did you ever try the mods for (and even bother finishing) the first game?

No spoilers for #2 please - I've had it since it came out and I swear I'll get past the opening one day.

Never bothered with mods. Completed the first game. In the end it wasnt bad. Characters and plot were largely fine and the idea of your choices having consequences later in the game wasn't bad. It didnt always work and some of the stuff would have been impossible without online guides. The wayfarer stones would have been tough and getting the preferred outcome of the autopsy in the first game would be very difficult if you didnt know what responses to select. No spoilers but if you start a game of Witcher 2 by importing your save from Witcher 1 then it does have some impact on the way the early part of the game unfolds.

Forza 5 has gone straight to Gamepass which is very decent, £35 if you want to buy the premium pass which includes 2 future expansions plus a couple of car packs. As the game is just out it is still suffering a little from early release gremlins. Such as struggling to maintain connection to the server, if you are in a "convoy" with other players you can't see them in the world map yet. Hopefully these will be ironed out soon as graphically it is excellent and I far prefer it already to the UK Forza 4.

As a massive car geek, I love the variety of cars in it, I Immediately bought a Williams Renault Clio and spent the first few hours pootling about in it unmodified. Would highly recommend, the bugs are more amusing than anything else, such as the odd NPC car stuck on a building etc. 

Fucking superb patter from Rockstar as they've pulled the PC version of definitive edition from sale & the Rockstar Game Launcher was offline for several hours. The removal was due to 'unitentionaly included files'. The files in question are .scm files that include scripts etc in their uncompiled form. The devs are really fond of the word fück seemingly.

The Switch version also is even more of a goldmine with leaked files.

The game has also already been cracked.

On 11/11/2021 at 15:00, Hawk89 said:

Forza 5 has gone straight to Gamepass which is very decent, £35 if you want to buy the premium pass which includes 2 future expansions plus a couple of car packs. As the game is just out it is still suffering a little from early release gremlins. Such as struggling to maintain connection to the server, if you are in a "convoy" with other players you can't see them in the world map yet. Hopefully these will be ironed out soon as graphically it is excellent and I far prefer it already to the UK Forza 4.

As a massive car geek, I love the variety of cars in it, I Immediately bought a Williams Renault Clio and spent the first few hours pootling about in it unmodified. Would highly recommend, the bugs are more amusing than anything else, such as the odd NPC car stuck on a building etc. 

The opening sequence is just magic silliness.

Fucking superb patter from Rockstar as they've pulled the PC version of definitive edition from sale & the Rockstar Game Launcher was offline for several hours. The removal was due to 'unitentionaly included files'. The files in question are .scm files that include scripts etc in their uncompiled form. The devs are really fond of the word fück seemingly.

The Switch version also is even more of a goldmine with leaked files.

The game has also already been cracked.

I’m sure it those files would allow modders to mod the game very easily, and that’s why they’ve been taken down.

I started up San Andreas since it is on Game Pass and it is clear from the opening cutscene that Rockstar have put in the minimum amount of effort into these remasters. I'd be seething if I'd paid full price for these games.
Under the hood it's pretty much the mobile ports from 2012 with shiner graphics & unreal engine added as a renderer. There are some mechanics/gameplay tweaks but that doesn't distract from how half arsed the whole thing is.

The whole thing stinks even more when you remember the original versions of the games were pulled from digital store fronts recently.